Hilux obd2 error code p1250

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 19:04
ThreadID: 134306 Views:4248 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Has anyone had a problem or heard of a problem with toyota d4d engines going into limp mode with no power or acceleration and engine warning light on.

The car displayed obd2 error code p1250 on data scan tool. I had to erase it and drive the car 2 hours back to town.

Toyota said it could be a few things and pinpointing the problem will be difficult after i erased the code.

Any suggestions or answers would be great.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 19:17

Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 19:17
FROM GOOGLE

P1250 Code - General

Turbocharger System Malfunction

OBD-II code P1250 indicates a problem with the turbocharger system on your vehicle.

On vehicles equipped with turbocharger systems, this code can indicate a problem within the system that is causing it to not function as it should. Turbochargers are meant to increase the efficiency and power of your vehicle. This code usually means that there is an over boost situation happening, but it can also mean the opposite. A problem with the turbocharger system will often cause a major loss in power and acceleration. The code is prompted by a malfunction which is then stored in your vehicle's ECM and causes the SES or check engine soon light to illuminate on your dash.

Common causes of this code include:

Faulty vacuum sensing valve
Stuck turbo wastegate actuator
Faulty SCV valve
Wiring leading to the system

Diagnosing the exact problem when there is a turbocharger system malfunction might be tricky. Before you tackle any of these possible culprits, check all of the wiring around the system for signs of damage. The easiest problem to start with is the wastegate actuator; this can be serviced by unbolting it and making sure the linkage is freely moving and the system is properly lubed. The vacuum sensing valve will throw the system off and cause the ECM to be "confused" about regulating the system, same with the SCV valve issues.
AnswerID: 608614

Follow Up By: brendan l4 - Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 19:32

Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 19:32
Yeah i read that too. And toyota mentioned as well, but im thinking they tell me to replace the turbo or replace the stepper motor.

I suppose I am wondering should i be worried about it or see if it happens again before i spend money on replacing parts. I was driving in 40 deg + and doing about 100ks in cruise control when it shut down. So im hoping the air was too hot or something like that and all will be good.

I Used to own an 80 series so not used to having problems.
FollowupID: 878371

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 20:45

Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 20:45
I would check all hoses and wiring going to turbo. It was 40 + degrees so maybe you had really hot intake temps as well. I have an ultragauge fitted to my vehicle that has programmable alrms for many of the functions. Have you got one fitted? Great pice of gear that constantly monitors your vehicles systems. Maybe try the toyota forum for info as well. Good luck.
AnswerID: 608617

Reply By: Paul and Mel - Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 20:46

Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 20:46
Have the dealer do a VGT servo clean. It is the actuator that gets clagged up when they idle excessively. We have the 3.0 Hiace's doing that all the time as they idle for long periods everyday and they don't really like it. Toyota had some thing about this several years ago ( campaign of some sort) for customers that had to let them idle for periods of time. Mine never gets left idling and mine is fine. They tend to do it after giving it a bit of a boot full and the actuator opens up the vanes and gets stuck due to soot hence the power down and CEL.
AnswerID: 608618

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 08:10

Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 08:10
As others have said , Turbo , common [relatively] problem ..turbo hose after the turbo develops a slight split + or the sensor on the intake manifold has become clogged by excessive oil mist …..if you find its a split hose your better off replacing with 'after market' silicone hoses rather than genuine Tojo [cheaper / last longer /never get brittle…stand the heat better than rubber/plastic.
AnswerID: 608629

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 08:42

Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 08:42
If the reset has resulted in normal operation, then it was most probably a glitch in the system or phantom code....if there was a problem, the code would reoccur constantly. Buy a scan tool and away you go...PS do you have a chip on the vehicle??
AnswerID: 608631

Sponsored Links