Fun and games with a viscous coupling

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 23, 2017 at 14:40
ThreadID: 134346 Views:2822 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Gday
Son borrowed my toyota some time back and when it was returned i found the air comp belt wrapped around the fan coupling. As i didnt know how long it had been there i purchased a new viscous coupling , fitted and checked , the damn thing never freewheeled , not at any time after it was fitted. i did plenty of reading and asking questions of the manufacturer , who said that was all ok, fuel consumption went up 1 ltr+/100 .
The last couple of days have been nice so i pulled the viscous fan off again and broke it in half, checking the amount of fluid i noticed there was to much silicon in the coupling, after i removed 9ml had a coffee and checked again ,all seemed to be the right volume so re assembled , tested and the coupling does what it is supposed to do .I must say that last Saturday i did 160plus km at 95 kph all on freeway and the noise was terrible to listen to. Ill do another run and see how the noise is. Have a nice day people.
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Feb 23, 2017 at 17:28

Thursday, Feb 23, 2017 at 17:28
Was that broke it in half or disassembled it? Reused, probably disassembled.

Was the OE fan hub damaged or just strangled from turning? Possibly still operational.
AnswerID: 608841

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2017 at 19:44

Thursday, Feb 23, 2017 at 19:44
Gday RMD
Read it as you like. Back in the old days we would break things down for rebuilding , ie gear boxes and diffs , engines as well.
Muzbry

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 878596

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Friday, Feb 24, 2017 at 09:26

Friday, Feb 24, 2017 at 09:26
Know what you mean, it only takes a small amount of overfill and they won't slip.

Had the viscous fan on one of our cars a KIA go dry over a period of time, only noticed it on a very hot day with aircon and the temperature gauge started to slowly climb. Refilled the clutch and started the car and then realized what had been missing for sometime, the roar of the fan when you first start the motor!

Great invention when there working, I was surprised at how sensitive they are, driving along a flat road on a warm day no noise, start driving up a long incline and you hear the fan start to do more work, they really do work very well, their are some smart people out there that dream these things up.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 608849

Reply By: swampy - Saturday, Feb 25, 2017 at 14:37

Saturday, Feb 25, 2017 at 14:37
hi
Guenuine Tojam cruiser 1hz fans rarely lock up at all even when new.
They donot respond like other fans eg lockup when hot and stay locked up when engine switch off . This is a typical test for all other brands .
The tojam fan free wheels a lot.
AnswerID: 608880

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2017 at 15:20

Saturday, Feb 25, 2017 at 15:20
Gday Swampy
Make me wonder why the 1hz is different from the others as they all look the same inside in the pictures i have seen. Anyway, it seems to free wheel in the morning after start and then free's up.
Muzbry

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 878626

Sponsored Links