Lake Eyre

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 25, 2017 at 15:40
ThreadID: 134352 Views:4037 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone been up to Lake Eyre in recent times. I am interested to know what the roads are like and if there is any water in the lake, if so where is the best area to see it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael H9 - Saturday, Feb 25, 2017 at 17:32

Saturday, Feb 25, 2017 at 17:32
The main places to see Lake Eyre are -
Just out of Marree about 90kms via Muloorina Station. The road from the station to the lake was very corrugated last time I did it.
Just out of William Creek (60 odd kms on a pretty rough track),
Thirty minutes past the Borefield Track intersection on the Oodnadatta Track is a viewing area. This is the easiest to get to.
You have to be lucky to see water.
AnswerID: 608885

Reply By: rocco2010 - Saturday, Feb 25, 2017 at 17:32

Saturday, Feb 25, 2017 at 17:32
Best thing is look at http://www.lakeeyreyc.com/Status/latest.html for updates every week or so on the state of the lake.

And the SA Desert Parks bulletin also give updates https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/files/sharedassets/parks/parks/flinders-ranges-outback/desert-parks-bulletin-gen.pdf on the lake and road conditions in that area.

The various tourism operators have posted lots of photos on their Facebook pages and websites. There has been a lot of rain and the desert is very green but the yacht club page suggests there is not that much water coverage in the lake. It dries up quickly in the heat.

I wish I could get back to see the green and the flowers in a month or so, should be spectacular.

Best way to see it is from a plane.

Cheers

AnswerID: 608886

Follow Up By: kerbarb9 - Saturday, Feb 25, 2017 at 17:41

Saturday, Feb 25, 2017 at 17:41
Thanks Rocco
FollowupID: 878629

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Saturday, Feb 25, 2017 at 23:18

Saturday, Feb 25, 2017 at 23:18
I was there in early Oct last year. Used all the info in the previous posts to plan. We did the eastern half of the Oodnadatta track, Coober Pedy-William Ck-Marree. In my opinion the roads were in good nick but there has been local rain on and off since, and I notice that the roads have been open and closed so they may not be in such as good a condition. At the time we were there, there was 1.5 m in the SW bays but when we flew over, we saw that the very strong wind had blown it to the east and well away from the Halligan Bay shore. The Lake Eyre yacht club site currently shows 1.3 m. Additionally the extremely strong wind made it impossible to pitch a tent in the open (we pitched ours in the William Ck camp kitchen) so camping in the open at Halligan Bay campground was out of the question, meaning the trip to the shore would have had to have been a day trip. Because of the wind, in the end we didn't drive to the lake. The country was in great condition, the wildflowers were spectacular and there was water in stream channels. Bit hot up that way atm I imagine. BOM has daily data and weekly forecasts for Coober Pedy and Marree which is also useful in planning. Hope you enjoy the trip. Coward Springs has a great camp ground with good shelter trees, we spent two days there.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 608893

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 26, 2017 at 11:23

Sunday, Feb 26, 2017 at 11:23
Hi Kerbar

As you may be aware or not, but to view Lake Eyre North, you can see it from both the east and western sides and both are very different.

I find that the eastern side is better and this is accessed from Muloorina Station with a good road up to the camping area. From there to Level Post Bay is 46 kilometres and can be corrugated, but no real dramas. The camping at Muloorina is just fantastic and it is worth stopping here, as from the western side, you can not camp anywhere along the road in ( not that you would want to as it is very vast, open land and very little timber if you wanted a campfire )

The western side of Lake Eyre North is accessed around 10 kilometres south of William Creek along the Oodnadatta Track and then it is 50 kilometres to ABC Bay or 60 Kilometres to Halligan Bay. The road in again is through pastoral roads and will have all tyes of conditions, but the moment that you hit the National Park Boundary, it is a slow drive due to the corrugations.

In August last year, if you believe all the hyped up media reports, the lake was fun.....Joke, Joke. The lake may have had water in it further north and only visible from the air, but a dear way to find out if there was no water there.

Never believe what the media has to say, as more often than not it is a way of getting people out there and to view if from the only possible way....by air.

If you only wanted to visit one location, I personally would vote Level Post Bay for a better drive in, fantastic camping only 46 from the lake and a very easy drive from Marree.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 608903

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Feb 26, 2017 at 12:43

Sunday, Feb 26, 2017 at 12:43
Level post Bay, mid October '16.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome