Extended warranty on Patrol

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 21:32
ThreadID: 13438 Views:1573 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Was just wondering if anybody out there has taken out the extended warranty on thier 3lt Patrol as we are looking at doing it as our warranty is just about up. We have clocked up 85000km's in just under two years and have had quite a few dramas along the way, which has surprised us as we had the first model 3ltr the one that was supposed to have all the problems and clocked up 80000kms on that one with not one problem.

What worries me the most is we are having problems with lack of power especially when towing Nissan have attempted to fix the problem by first changing the air flow sensor this did nothing, then they tried a few other things over a 10 month period deciding that the turbo was faulty so they replaced this with a new one, slight change in power but still not right now they have changed the ECU it is better untill you try to tow with it.

We are only towing an off road camper and on the hills it just dies my mate who has a 2000 model 3lt diesel Jackaroo just rounds us up and spits us out where as before we had the problems he could not get near us. The other niggling fault is the engine light flashes on and off when you are on a rough surface Nissan keeps saying it is water in the diesel what a load of crap i have been involved with and have driven trucks all of my life so i know what to look for when water is in the diesel system.

This is why we are looking at the extended warranty as knowing our luck it will come out of warranty and it will blow up or Nissan will miraculously find the problem and it will cost us thousands to fix.

Hope someone can help

Martin and Samantha
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 22:02

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 22:02
Hi Martin,

While i am a "supporter" of the 3.0TD, i would not hesitate to take out the extended warranty on a series 2, particuarly with the problems you are describing.

As the dealer has not fixed your problem (and it IS a problem) ring Nissan Australia and make sure you get this fixed. While I have not used the Nissan helpline myself, all reports are that it is quite good.

I recall a problem with the early ECU that caused a lack of power, but cannot remember the details. Hopefully other members may do so.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 61578

Reply By: Member - Roachie- Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 22:10

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 22:10
Martin,
Sorry mate, but you've confused me (I think?!?)
Am I correct in thinking that you had one of the original series II 3.0ltrs and did 80,000klm without problems.........but that you now have a series III 3.0ltr and it's this one you're having the problems with @ 85,000klm??

As our our old friend Pauline once said......."Please explain??"
AnswerID: 61581

Follow Up By: Member - Martin- Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 23:52

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 23:52
Thats right Roachie series 2 no problems series 3 lots of problems
FollowupID: 323080

Follow Up By: fat bastard - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 00:50

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 00:50
Unfortunetley we do not have the lemon laws like in a America. If u have to return your vehicle more than three times u are intitled to a new car.
Correct if Im wrong, but we need this here to improve quality control.

Fat ar..
FollowupID: 323086

Reply By: Tim (VIC) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 08:02

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 08:02
Hi Martin
I took out the extended warranty on my GU111 just for pease of mind For the $550 or so
I have had no real problems and car is still going good although i have only done 25,000ks

cheers Tim
AnswerID: 61614

Reply By: Member - Votlip - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 10:13

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 10:13
I purchased my Series 3 GU 3lt last May and took out the extended warranty then. I was aware of the earlier problems with with 3 lt and I did it for peace of mind. So far, I have done 35,000 km without a problem. I would suggest that if you are having problems now, an extended warranty may be a cheap form of insurance if something else goes wrong once your out of warranty.

As the Captain suggested, get onto Nissan anyway and make sure the problem is identified and fixed now.
AnswerID: 61637

Reply By: flappan - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 10:13

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 10:13
I would take out a Factory Extended warranty on ANY vehicle , regardless of 3.0 , 4.2 whatever.

These factory warranties are FAR better then these "other" warranties, which are really defacto insurance policies.
AnswerID: 61638

Follow Up By: joc45 - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 12:25

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 12:25
Actually, even the Nissan extended warranty is underwritten by an insurance co.
Yes, it's even worth it with the 4.2. I recently had a turbo replaced under the extended warranty, and now it looks like they have to replace it again.
Gerry
FollowupID: 323134

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 12:46

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 12:46
When I hear some 3.0ltr and 4.2ltr patrol owners raving about their trucks I get a bit envious. But at other times, like in this thread, I begin to think my 2.8tdi GU patrol is not so bad afterall. Now with a 140000kms on the clock, and the vast majority of that done off road, I can't complain about reliability or performance really. OK it is a bit slack low down until the turbo cuts in but you just learn to drive differently - and read the track better to ensure you are in the right gear at the right time. Touch wood the big red 2.8tdi had had nothing go wrong with it - other than the routine services and replacement of the OE undercarriage with and OME kit she just keep on keeping on. I think I'll still with her for a while yet.
Cheers
Pete
AnswerID: 61659

Follow Up By: Member - AndrewPatrol - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 19:40

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 19:40
Right a moment of rant,
1-- what has this got to do with the original question
2-- I wish people would keep to the point on forums
3-- sounds like a prime candidate, i gotta series3 with 50k no probs and I'm considering it, dunno what to do after that, maybe sell?
4-- I thought the exteded warrantee was more like $850
FollowupID: 323193

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 23:23

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 23:23
Mine was more like that ($800) for another two years, peace of mind was my reason, only just rolled over 50000km so its worth it. Still running like a dream but as Bob says. no warning and BANG! I dont want to pay for the bang.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 323226

Reply By: crowie - Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 17:50

Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 17:50
Martin

I have a June 2002 built GUII with 70000km and no problems other than the CPU which was changed under warranty. Anyone who doesn't extend their warranty on any vehicle if they have the chance is an idiot. If you have to buy a new fuel pump (and a few other items) for the ZD30 you might have to mortgage your house. What Nissan didn't tell was that the ZD30 motor was originally used in delivery vans which were usually bought by big companies who could afford the big parts bills because they were an operating expense and they could claim tax relief. We should all get ABN numbers just in case.

With regards your flashing engine management light. Its probably a loose connection or a faulty sensor rather than anything serious. If it comes on as you explained you should go to a Nissan dealer and get them to run the computer over it to isolate where it is coming from. Then you can check out the connections. I have posted to the forum twice before about identifying the fault codes and how to get them yourself. This will also tell you where the sensors are so that you can run around under the bonnet and do a bit of checking manually. I also stuck a water trap on my fuel line for piece of mind - thinking of high pressure fuel pumps again.

In regards to you loss of power I can't help you but it sounds like a CPU problem similar to what was happening to the early GUII. Try removing the CPU fuse for a couple of minutes and then put it back in. Don't you tell anyone I said so but I believe the CPU has a brain with a memory and will store your driver habits, lead foot, light foot etc. If you change your driving habits the CPU takes time to change and adapt. Taking out the fuse will clear the cpu memory. TRUE and that might help for a while anyway until Nissan work it out. Also don't talk to the local agent or service centre. Most of themare wankers and know stuff all about modern diesel motors. I was told by my service centre that the ZD30 needed oil changes every 5000km and this was after they had been servicing them for a year. Ring up the warranty people, there is also another information line a demand that it be fixed. You might have a Air Nippon 747 land at your local airport and disgorge some funny little men with lots of electrical leads hanging out of their pockets. You say I wish.

Good luck

Crowie
AnswerID: 61954

Reply By: JR - Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 19:11

Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 19:11
Martin,
Ive done 140000km in a early 3.0tdi. Ext warranty cost around $900
Its had around $15000, yes fifteen thousand dollars, on the extended waranty policy, largely $12K on engine replacement.
When things go wrong on these they are horribly expensive
Having said that the new engine seems much better and it appears whatever was wrong with the 2000 models has been fixed. Ive had no issues with ext policy vs original warranty when it comes to claims
DO NOT KEEP THE VEHICLE WITHOUT IT!!!
Strong enuff???

Regards
John
AnswerID: 61962

Sponsored Links