GMC Generators

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 21:35
ThreadID: 13439 Views:1491 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I bought one from Bunnings with the intention of using it as a cost effective method of charging up the battery rather than fitting a dual battery system. It tended to hunt, which made it loud and it would not charge on 12v, kept throwing the breaker. I took it back and got another one. The second one ran smoothly and quietly but it also threw the breaker. NOTE: when they are charging on 12 V they are actually putting around 16 V into your battery, and register around 19 V at the clips with no load. I resigned myself to using it on 240 volt with a battery charger. This of course meant taking up a lot of space with the gennie, a jerry of fuel and the charger. Then the bloody thing started leaking an oily substance from somewhere underneath it.

I finally said enough is enough and took it back and got a refund (Bunnings were great, no questions asked). I then did what I should have in the first place and have arranged a dual batttery system.

I know a lot of people have had a trouble free run from these, but a lot have also had issues.

Just my experience, but two out of two means either I was really unlucky or these things aren't too flash.

Jim

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 22:47

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 22:47
It's appears to be a lottery with these generators Jimbo. I certainly wouldn't want to be relying on one in the bush for power.
AnswerID: 61584

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 22:51

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 22:51
I have problems with how a genny could be more cost efficent, around $200?

Then theres the fact of carryin the thing around compared to a solinoid system..

could be wrong.
AnswerID: 61587

Follow Up By: Member - Ken - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 23:29

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 23:29
Nup! you're on the money Truckster.

I have one of these little 'gems' however it is for driving/powering power tools.

After the fuel tank problem I had with the initial purchase ( 'persisting' out of the tank seam), the instant replacement hasn't missed a beat.

Have no plans to take it or any other Gen set on a bush trip. Dual battery system will do nicely.

Ken Robinson
FollowupID: 323077

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:35

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:35
Kewl as long as ya happy :-)
FollowupID: 323108

Reply By: AT4WD ADVENTURES - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 08:26

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 08:26
Hi Jim,

The problem you have experienced with this gennie is not the gennies fault. The gennie is only designed to supply a small amount of amps (about 8 amps) on the 12 volt dc output. If you are trying to say charge a discharged battery with this output then it is possible that the battery may be requiring 40-50 amps intially at 12 volts dc at which these gennies can't supply nor were they designed to supply.

At best these units were meant to trickle charge a fully charged battery from this output or use this output to power small 12 volt appliances like lighting or power tools.

Regards

Stuart.
AnswerID: 61616

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:03

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:03
Stu,

I tried it on a fully charged battery and it wouldn't work.

Jim.
FollowupID: 323103

Reply By: Magnus - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:16

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:16
Jim,

When you can't fit a second battery in your vehicle unless it is in the cabin, there is a problem and there has to be an alternative solution.

That's the main reason I am a Solar and Gas fan. Travelled down the gen set road alrready and tired of the need to carry fuel, the gen set itself, the long leads to get the thing away from the camp etc.

So I became a Gas and Solar convert with good 12 volt set up in the camper and a gas fridge. Battery operated power tools and gas soldering and heating gear allows me to carry out minor repairs in camp. I also carry two hand operated drills with good tradesman quality drill bits for drilling holes. May be slow, but hey it is how it used to be done .!! As long as you have a good center punch to start the hole, you are in business.

Just my enforced alternative approach. Just no room at the Inn for a second battery in my vehicle (Mazda Tribute).

Cheers

Magnus

AnswerID: 61624

Sponsored Links