Tow Points

Submitted: Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:05
ThreadID: 13447 Views:2039 Replies:10 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I am getting prepared for a trip up to Mitchell Plateau, Drysdale river etc. via the Gibb River Rd. from the N.T. end in Prado 3L turbo diesel. Have fitted a winch ( see my previous questions) and snorkel comes next week. The vehicle is fitted with factory Tojo bull bar and tow bar. Looking at the back end I think there are no real places to attach either a snatch strap or tow strap. I dont like the ide of using the pin in the hitch receiver as a bent pin is difficult to remove, and over the tow ball itself is a no no. I have seen a solid unit with a rated shackle that fits in the receiver but it weighs a ton and cost $75. What do others do?
Front end on the right is OK and has the usual tow hook, has been used to get out of a bog with a snatch strap. It is wise to fit another hook to the left side?

Thanks

GeeTee
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:17

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:17
GeeTee,
The use of the tow bar and pin for a recovery point is fine. The bent pin issue in my opinion need not be a concern. The soid unit with the rated shackel can be used or what I use is a pintil hook.
The front hook, and again only my opinion, should be changed and aftermarket hooks be bolted on to both sides of the chassis rail.
When do you go to the Kimberley?

Wayne
AnswerID: 61625

Follow Up By: GeeTee - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:49

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:49
Thanks Wayne, Pardon my ignorance but what is a pintil hook and where does it go ?? OK on the front hook, was not aware that it is not rated and will change and add one over the weekend.
We look like meeting others in the party from the west at the north turn off to Kalumbaru about 4 or 5 July. We will return to Kununarra after 10 or 12 days, pick up the caravan and head down to the West coast for 8 - 10 weeks.

GeeTee
FollowupID: 323113

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 10:14

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 10:14
Gee Tee,
A pintil hook is a device that goes into the square hitch reciver i9n the tow bar. The shape of the hook is like a ring mounted vertical. The top half of the ring is able to swing up to allow a strap or eye of a chain to be looped over the bottom half of the ring. The top half is then locked shut so that you now have a fully inclosed ring.
There are a coulple of things that I like about it. I have a early model Kaymar Rear Bar and the pin for the tow bar is in a hard place to get to, underneath and at the back of the bar. Having the hook in at all times means that when a strap is to be fitted I just lift the top half of the hook, place the eye of the strap over and lock it down. The other reason is that I can attach a eye of a chain in the same manner. I only use the chain if a tree has to be moved or the Cruiser needs to be anchored to a solid object. The other reason is that the diameter or thickness of the ring,40mm this means that the eye of the snatch strap is not under a shear load. A small pin put a lot of force on the eye of the strap because it has a small radius and therefore more of a shear action.

Wayne
FollowupID: 323117

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:31

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:31
What model Prado do you have Gee Tee? You can buy a towbar receiver mount with rated hook for $65. and as far as the front goes it depends a bit on the model as to howw much and what you can do. You must remember that any hook fitted to any 4wd as standard is un-rated and could cause injury.
AnswerID: 61627

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:39

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:39
I've seen that device you mention GeeTee but once it's in place how do you secure it there..with the pin...get my drift?.
AnswerID: 61629

Follow Up By: GeeTee - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:51

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:51
Hi Ray, Yep with the pin but because the insert is solid the is no way you can bend the pin passing thru it.
GeeTee
FollowupID: 323114

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 10:31

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 10:31
okay I see your point. The force will be evenly distributed over the whole width of the pin and any bending would have to be at the the points where the force is transfered to the receiver rather than near the middle of the pin which would be the case with a direct strap connection.
Those snatch straps are pretty wide though.
FollowupID: 323121

Reply By: Member - Ken - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 10:10

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 10:10
G-T

I purchased what you describe as a solid unit but with a 'captive/safety' hook on it that slips into the hyman reece type slot where the tow hitch goes and is secured by the 'pin'.

The only thing that is going to 'come off' , if anything, in this situation is the whole bar, and if it does, it wasn't worth a toss anyhow.

I purchased it at the Wandin 4WD field day for $45.00.

It weighs bugger all and is small enough to tuck away in any nook or cranny you can find.

Regards

Ken Robinson
AnswerID: 61636

Follow Up By: GeeTee - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 14:41

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 14:41
Not sure if it is the same thing. The one I saw was a solid billet of steel about 40 x 40 and 200 long with a hole for the pin to go thru and the other end milled to a tongue to take the gap in a shackle and a hole in that for the shackle pin to go thru...... clear as mud EH ?? and it cost $75 here in Darwin

GeeTee
FollowupID: 323155

Reply By: Member - Willie Sydney - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 10:22

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 10:22
GT ,
What about if you get another insert for your tow bar "hole" and bolt a recovery hook onto it .
Willie .
AnswerID: 61641

Reply By: gonebush - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 10:40

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 10:40
I do not advocate using the towbar pin for the recovery because they can bend under load. I have seen one bend, jam in the hitch and the pin and the strap could not be removed. Unfortunately the person who did this was towing a camper and had unhitched to effect the recovery. He then had to cut the pin out with a hacksaw and as a result he was then unable to tow and continue his trip.

The inserts (including a pintle) with a pin are fine as long as they are rated.

Additionally the towbar must be attached to the chassis with hi-tensile bolts if the towbar is to be used.

Fitting two rated hooks to the front with hi-tensile bolts allows the use of a bridle therefore halving the load on each hook. It also allows a recovery to be effected where only one hook is accessible for whatever reason or the recovery needs to be effected at an angle.

Larry
AnswerID: 61646

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 13:50

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 13:50
If you want to know why you shouldn't use a tie-down point for recovery, read
this
AnswerID: 61670

Follow Up By: GeeTee - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 14:24

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 14:24
Thanks for the info. As mentioned above I will change the existing one and add an additional one on the weekend. Could not see the pics of the broken point via the link you posted but can imagine what happened. GeeTee.
FollowupID: 323153

Reply By: Member - Athol (NSW) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 15:37

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 15:37
Hi guy's just as a variation on this subject I have a Haymon Reece style tow bar fitted to the front under my bullbar (for pushing the camper up my drive and through the side gate,much easier than reversing), the bar is a winchbar although I can't afford a winch to go on it yet. what do you think of using the slip/in adaptor as a recovery point on the front as well ?
Athol.
AnswerID: 61698

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie- Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 23:11

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 23:11
G'day Athol,
I had a towbar fitted to the front of my last truck; great for the trailer up the driveway trick as you said.
I don't see why it couldn't be used as a recovery point as long as it's been welded on professionally. However, there will no doubt be others who say you should not do so.
I will also raise a new post about why not use the existing tow bar (at rear) and simply unbolt the towball (or in my case the TREG fitting) and use the hole in the towbar to mount a rated shackle.
FollowupID: 323222

Reply By: Murfa - Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 20:00

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 20:00
Hey there,
I to didn't like the idea of using the tow hitch pin as a rear recovery hook. So I looked around and found this great product from big balls off road, but i'm from brisbane so I purchased it from the 4wd mega store chane. It is a proper recovery hook. I can't remeber what it's called but saw it advertised in 4wd monthly magazine about 3 issues ago. basically it a sold piece of steal, with a hole in it to put the pin through, and a loop on the end, with a bright yellow 4.7 tone shackale attached to it. All you do is take the pin out of the tow hitch, pull just the tounge piece out which has the ball attached, slide this attachment into the same insert, and push the pin back into place on the tow hitch. works a treat, i have used mine to mainly tow other vehicles out, and works a treat. cost me $60. If you live in brisbane, I can come and show you, if not it should be simple enough to find on the big balls off road site.
AnswerID: 61875

Reply By: Troopie - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:30

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:30
G'day There
I bought one the same as Murfa and have found it to be easy to use, strong and less bulky than a full pintle hook.

I also got mine from a 4wd Megastore after seeing the add in 4wd Monthly - up till then I had been using the pin only with the strap - I hadn't had any problems with this - but the arrangement is supperior.

Cost $60

Cheers
AnswerID: 62042

Sponsored Links