Bush camping in WA without 1080

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 13:54
ThreadID: 134515 Views:3467 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
We have recently moved home to Perth after 10 years in Melbourne. We loved bush camping around Melbourne with our dog, but all the spots we have looked at since coming back are in areas that have signs warning about 1080. I feel like the dog would have more fun at home than tied up at a campsite, she never wanders far but I'm not about to take that risk.

So, just wondering if anyone knows any good spots within 3-4 hours of Perth that aren't laced with 1080? We are just a tent and a car and we don't need any facilities, the less the better if it keeps the crowds down.

Tommo

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Odog - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 14:51

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 14:51
G'day Tommy... Maybe if your going to let her wonder around, put a muzzle on her, just to be sure.. Saw people with dogs at Parrys Beach, it's not bush camping, and it has great facilities... but depending on the time of year, as with crowds, is a great spot.. think $50 a week, and you can have a fire.. still for the sake of others, and keeping the peace, if I took my dog camping, I would not let her wonder around. Just my opinion... Youngest lives in Perth, not sure where they take their dog camping, think they more just "wing" it.. Have heard that cats n foxes can carry baits around, and bury them around the place also.. sure if you googled "dog friendly camping Perth" something would come up... good luck with it.. cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 609570

Follow Up By: Member - tommo05 - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 16:18

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 16:18
Thanks Odog. We usually camp at small/secluded sites where there aren't others around, but if there are a few others around we make sure she doesn't wander into anyone else's campsite. And if she gets cheeky she goes on the lead, but it is still not my preference.

Got a muzzle but she's not a fan. I'd still rather leave her at home than make her uncomfortable. I was just hoping someone might know of a good alternative where she can get out in the great outdoors and just be a dog, without having her pesky owners fussing over her all the time.

I have hammered WikiCamps and plenty of other resources trying to find something "dog-friendly", but pretty much everything turns out to be "dog-friendly as long as your dog is on a lead".

Anyway if that's how it is then that's how it is, but I thought no harm in putting the question out there.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 879427

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 14:53

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 14:53
Don't expect there to be anywhere without risk of baits. Because it is a natural poison to WA it is in continuous use. Try a good mussel that the dog cant eat or drink through. It is not only the baits to worry about but animals killed by 1080 and remains laying around. Mussels worked for us on the farm except for one dog got a but of long dead sheep from earing the poison plant through fence.
Good luck
Neil
AnswerID: 609572

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 16:05

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 16:05
Have you ever tried oysters instead of mussels?

hahaha sorry my poor attempt of a joke, no malice intended
FollowupID: 879426

Follow Up By: Member - tommo05 - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 16:30

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 16:30
Thanks Neil. Just curious, what do you mean by "a natural poison to WA"?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 879429

Follow Up By: Neil & Pauline - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 17:20

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 17:20
serves me right for not reading before I sent. I have been pigging out on oysters in Tassie so that is my excuse. No muzzle on me.
1080 poison occurs in many native plants. Native animals are immune to 1080. A good clue to poison plants is the leaves come off the stems opposite each other. A heavy dew or flowering makes the plants with "pea" flowers very toxic, like over night. If you use a stick from a poison plant to stir your tea it will at best make you very ill, even when well and truly dead.
If you are caught by RSPCA having your dog poisoned by 1080 you will be charged with cruelty to animals. Is a useful poison but is dangerous to non native animals.

Neil

FollowupID: 879432

Follow Up By: Member - tommo05 - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 17:52

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 17:52
Yeah right, very interesting I didn't know that

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 879434

Reply By: terryt - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 16:05

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 16:05
Don't know if it would be the same but in SA landowners need to post notices if they are going to use 1080. Often you will see a notice on a fence but on closer inspection it will tell you baits were laid 6 mths ago. Even the national parks (where fido shouldn't be) publicise when they are baiting. Not a pleasant death for your dog if you are unlucky. We carry a muzzle with us for the just in case situation.
AnswerID: 609576

Follow Up By: Member - tommo05 - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 16:21

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 16:21
Thanks terryt, yeah there are 1080 signs everywhere, which is a good thing because at least we know they are there, but this is the problem. Every campsite I suss out, I see 1080 signs as I'm driving to it. WA is absolutely laced with them, but I was kinda hoping there might be some safe pockets somewhere.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 879428

Reply By: Member - tommo05 - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 16:29

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 16:29
Sorry I should have also mentioned, we do have a muzzle for the mutt that we bought for the road trip over here, but she hates it. If she was younger we could probably train her to get used to it, but she's 9 years old and you know what they say about old dogs... Like tying her up, I'd rather leave her at home then make her uncomfortable. She's an absolute sook and she's not shy about bringing everyone else down with her moping if she's not happy.

I was just hoping there might be some 1080-free oases in this great state that only the locals know about. If not, then it looks like mopey goes to the kennel when we go bush.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 609578

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 20:14

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 20:14
tommo,
Google Western Australian Parks and Wildlide (DPAW). There is a link to the baiting program known as Western Shield. Then click on the link that gives you maps about the location of 1080 baiting as carried out by the local National Park mob.
This of course does not cover the baiting that may be carried out by farmers and such for foxes and feral cats.
If you value your pet as you seem to, trust me you would not like to see her take a 1080 bait.
Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 879446

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 20:45

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 20:45
You really cannot take a dog into 1080 areas without a muzzle. Even if there are no signs baits can be carried by crows or other animals well away from signed areas. Have you investigated various types of muzzles? Our Jack Russell was quite happy with the light one we used for her. It sat under her jaw so she could not eat or pick up food at all but she was not bothered by it enclosing her mouth - if that makes sense. Some muzzles are large and comparatively cumbersome to restrain large savage dogs which is not what you need. Try asking your vet for suggestions. If you can find one that is not too heavy and cumbersome you could try getting her gradually used to it at home. Otherwise she would be better off in a good kennel when you go camping. Lynne
AnswerID: 609590

Reply By: Cheryl & Ian (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 09:20

Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 09:20
I understand where you are coming from Tommo. Many years ago we were touring in WA and like you love to bush camp. We also had a dog and ended up getting him a greyhound muzzle (they are the very light wire cage ones). You can desensitise pretty much all dogs to something as long as you take your time and and pair it something extremely rewarding for the dog, ie. feed a special treat such as chicken when it is on. Start with having it on for very short periods and gradually increase the length of time she is wearing it.

Anyway, we never felt comfortable camping in a place that had 1080 around due to the potential hazard, so we ended up no staying in those places, and had to join the crowds.

Like others have said baits can be picked up by other animals as well as birds and dropped anywhere. Last year we planned to camp at Cape Conran in Victoria. When we got there there were signs up everywhere saying there was a permanent fox baiting program underway. I rang the caretaker to talk to her about it and she said as long as your pet is on lead they should be ok. We thought no thanks and ended up staying in a caravan park at Marlo.

As to your question, sorry we haven't been over that way camping for a long time so can't contribute with any places that may be safe.

Cheryl

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 609618

Follow Up By: Member - tommo05 - Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 10:32

Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 10:32
Thanks Cheryl. Interesting about Cape Conran, we were going to stay there a few years ago but due to inclement weather we kept going through to Mallacoota. Turns out that was a good thing, I would have been unimpressed to turn up there and find out there were baits.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 879492

Sponsored Links