Jackie Junction

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 22:44
ThreadID: 134520 Views:2969 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello, just wondering if anyone can clarify. Some places I've read that we can travel along from Jackie Junction to Mt Samuel (or vice versa), other places I read you can't.
Which is it? And if not, anyone know why?
Thank you.
"Nothing that matters comes easy
Nothing that comes easy ever really matters"

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 10:21

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 10:21
You can't. Wherever you saw that you can is wrong or out of date.

Permit Map

You need to get permits for the whole area, Ngaanyatjarra Lands council. I tried and was told no way. I got permits to go into other special locations but not there.

You have to come into Warburton for that section. Also you need a minimum of 2 vehicles and a HF or Sat phone as part of the permit for the old gunbarrel.

Lastly the permit map is misleading on the eastern side of Warburton. It looks liek you turn north off the highway about 9km from Warburton This is a dead end. Continue about another 25km then turn left. It says private or no entry without permits or similar. This is the right rd to Jackie Junction.

AnswerID: 609596

Reply By: Austag - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 21:27

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 21:27
Thanks Tony. We do have all the permits and specified requirements, just wanted clarification on that section. Much appreciated.
"Nothing that matters comes easy
Nothing that comes easy ever really matters"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 609608

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 22:08

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 22:08
Hi Austag.

How things have changed. Years ago when we did it you were not allowed to travel from Jackie Junction straight down to Warburton, but had to continue further west and come down that way.

We have been both ways and now you will have to come up via the Heather Highway and then head back on the Gunbarrel Highway. Just be prepared for some good corrugations and some great country. There are lots of great camping spots along the way and well east of the David Carnegie Road, the road greatly improves, as it is regularly graded from Wiluna.

Have a great trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 609612

Sponsored Links