Vale: EO member John 'Jaydub' Whithorn

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 17:10
ThreadID: 134555 Views:4405 Replies:11 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Friends, it is with deep sadness that I inform you of the passing of John Whithorn late of Blakeston South Australia. As many of you would know, John and Suzette have been keen travellers about the wide brown land dragging their beloved ulti to places that would make the hardiest of adventurers pale. They have attended numerous gatherings around the country and have always been keen to share their experiences and knowledge on this and other travel forums.

Sadly, John passed away suddenly over the weekend in hospital in Adelaide. It came as an unexpected and devastating shock to all who knew him and in particular to his soulmate and partner in all things, Suzette.

John was a genuine bloke with a warmth and friendliness that is becoming all too rare in this day and age. As a young man he answered the call of his country without hesitation not knowing that for he, like so many brave men and women, the battles would continue long after they arrived safely home.

Quite and unassuming, yet possessed of boundless energy and enthusiasm, John was one of the best ‘fixit’ guys around, and was always ready to lend a hand to anyone in need. If John could see it, John could fix it and his skills in the bush were appreciated by all who travelled with him. Those who have been fortunate enough to share a campfire with he and suzette will know of his love of the outback and adventuring in general.

John has given all who knew him a lot of joy over the years and his passing leaves a huge hole in our lives. Our thoughts and wishes are with Suzette and their families at this tragic time.

A celebration of Johns life will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Monday 3rd April at Centennial Park Cemetery - 760 Goodwood Rd, Pasadena SA.

Your roving may be done but you will always ride with us mate. Rest easy Johnny.

Back Expand Un-Read 8 Moderator

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 18:06

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 18:06
Thanks Mick for a fitting tribute to a remarkable man.

I just can't believe the John has passed. I have been on numerous trips with John and Suzette and each was made special by John's infectious energy, support and wit.

We are going to miss you John and miss you greatly, trips to the desert just won’t be the same.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 609759

Reply By: TTTSA - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 18:09

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 18:09
Well said Mick, what a tragic loss. You summed John up 100% Never too hard for John to help anyone including total strangers, Suzette either for that matter.

R.I.P. John.
AnswerID: 609761

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 18:37

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 18:37
A wonderful man, who had a wonderful knack of making people smile and laugh.

Our thoughts go out to Suzette at this time,

Rest peacefully mate, Baz - The Landy, and Mrs Landy

AnswerID: 609762

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 20:47

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 20:47
Devastating news indeed.
Whilst I knew John and Suze by reputation I only got to know them both personally in the last couple of years and valued the friendship that had developed in that short time.

A seriously genuine and very decent bloke, who had an infectious sense of humor.
A bloke that would always be first to step forward when someone needed a hand.
I will remember him with great fondness.

My heart breaks for Suzette, a beautiful person, with a heart of gold.

The thoughts of Julie and myself are with Suze and the family at this difficult time.
Life can be a real shit sometimes.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 609771

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 20:53

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 20:53
A all too brief encounter with John and Suzette out near Forrest left a lasting impression on our group.
R.I.P. John and condolences to Suzette.

Kind Regards
Graham & Maxine
AnswerID: 609772

Reply By: equinox - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 21:35

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 21:35
Thanks Mick,
What a great loss; I feel so very saddened by this news and my heart goes straight out to Suzette.

I had known John for a short seven years, but in that time, he showed all those qualities that you have said Mick.

He was always ready to give a hand and advice that was much appreciated, and never turned away from getting into the thick of things, be it hands on or intellectual discussion.

Sometimes he would fix a mechanical problem that I didn’t even know existed.

His absolute enthusiasm for all things outback and bush was a credit to him and I can only wish I could have had as much knowledge and get up and go!

As Phil said, the Desert Trips will not be the same without him – he will be remembered though for many years to come. I can just imagine us all around the campfire saying, “What would John do?”

Whilst cruising the deserts last year, I came across a rockhole and named it after John – who arrived there 30 seconds after me. He was quite modest about it, however I think I caught him admiring it with a gleaning eye!!!

We already miss you John, but you will always be with us.
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 609773

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 21:52

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2017 at 21:52
Fiona and I are lost for words on the sudden passing of John.

Our deepest sympathy to Suzette

R.I.P John

Stephen and Fiona
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 609774

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2017 at 14:09

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2017 at 14:09
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879667

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2017 at 08:51

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2017 at 08:51
RIP John.
Lest we forget.
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 609780

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2017 at 18:31

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2017 at 18:31
RIP John.
Lest we forget.
AnswerID: 609796

Reply By: Outback Al - Thursday, Mar 30, 2017 at 14:17

Thursday, Mar 30, 2017 at 14:17
It is with great sadness that I find that Jaydub is no longer with us. He shared with us his enthusiasm for life, a laconic wit, his fix anything skills, love of travel and most of all, his friendship. I remember his many instructive campfire conversations about, amongst many things, how a battery recharges, computer mapping, his observations on animal behaviour, and sharing his vast array of knowledge on an incredibly wide range of topics.

A very good man whom I admired greatly and a wonderful partner for Suze.

As MickO says. He will alway be with us out there.
AnswerID: 609815

Reply By: Pesty SA - Thursday, Mar 30, 2017 at 20:58

Thursday, Mar 30, 2017 at 20:58
Excellent post Mick

Have know John and Suz for a very long time and we have spent a lot of that time travelling, chatting and cooking around the campfire with them.
They are such great companions and we are absolutely gutted at his passing.
A well respected gentleman and friend.

R.I.P.John Whithorn
AnswerID: 609819

Sponsored Links