tray top extra fuel tank .

Submitted: Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 20:21
ThreadID: 134595 Views:5335 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day folks : Wanting to put a long range fuel tank on a px ranger diesel tray top ute approximately 100 to 120 litres .
wanting few ideas on where i can get one for a start & pluming it ?
was thinking i could just gravity feed it into main tank rather than try to plumb it into the system ?
regards nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 20:38

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 20:38
I have a aluminium water tank off a semi trailer I was going to use as a fuel tank under a trailer but have changed my mind.
AnswerID: 609902

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 20:39

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 20:39
Most people just feed the tank exit line (via a suitable tap ie, ball valve) into a T fitted to the breather of the main tank.
You could also incorporate a low micron filter, ie, 11 micron, in the line so any rubbish or grit and water, etc, is trapped before entering the main tank.

I use a 50 litre red poly/plastic tank with a filter, and pump because I have a tub.

If building a plastic tank into a frame on the tray, make sure you leave 2% room for expansion of the tank. The poly tanks expand after their first use and can get 2% bigger. If frame was snug, the tank would become a fixture in the frame and make removal impossible.
AnswerID: 609903

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2017 at 07:05

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2017 at 07:05
In regards to plumbing straight into existing lines I wasn't too sure how that goes with these new modern vehicles I.E px ford ranger @@
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 879789

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2017 at 15:47

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2017 at 15:47
I did that to my 2012 Ranger, fitted tank in the tub and "T" ed into the breather via a tap. When my low level light come on I would stop, open the fuel cap [to depressure the tank] and let it flow in [I had a 50L poly tank from TJM at Port Macquarie].

PeterH
FollowupID: 879799

Reply By: Hoyks - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 21:02

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 21:02
These guys have a few options. I was going to get one to mount under the tray between the tray rails as well as a water tank.
I had a 100L water stainless steel tank there in my old ute and it was really handy while being protected and out of the way.

http://www.enmachind.com.au/product-category/poly-rv-accessories/rv-4wd-diesel-tanks/page/2/
AnswerID: 609906

Follow Up By: Tony F8 - Saturday, Apr 08, 2017 at 20:55

Saturday, Apr 08, 2017 at 20:55
X2 for Enmach Industries, great range, great service, pity other businesses didnt follow suit.
FollowupID: 879958

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 22:26

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 22:26
I have mounted a poly tank under my tray and have a tap that I have connected via a tee piece to the breather line of the factory tank
I usually just run the main tank until showing empty and then open the valve and it slowly fills the main tank as I drive along
Another easier option is to just have a hose on the poly tank that you can put in the filler cap of your main tank and to top it up whilst having a cuppa on the side of the road
AnswerID: 609907

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 22:34

Monday, Apr 03, 2017 at 22:34
We wanted ours plumbed for both Nick. Wanting an auxiliary tank on our F250, we purchased a 60 litre poly fuel tank made by Dolium, together with drainage hose kit and venting kits to suit. These are made for petrol or diesel in a variety of sizes and were not unduly expensive. We were not wanting much volume, but a safety back up as the F250 has one large fuel tank with no room for a further tank under the tray. If the tank was damaged and we lost all our fuel we would be stuck. So we had the tray tank removable for full use of the tray when home, and had our mechanic plumb the tank so it could be drained into the main tank, or switched to run the vehicle directly from the tray tank.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 609908

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2017 at 06:11

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2017 at 06:11
Nickb
I have a BT50 tray back. I removed the original tank and fitted a Longranger 125 litre tank in its place.
Underneath the tray, I have an 80 l poly water tank between the tray rails.
Cheers
Duncan
AnswerID: 609913

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2017 at 07:33

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2017 at 07:33
Yes Nick, I would go the long range tank as the best first option, then if you want a little more range you can add another smaller tank if desired.
Did this with the Ranger, had the Long Ranger 126lt fitted, then a Dolium 58lt (actual 60) in the front of the tub (and a 58lt water tank behind, which puts that one right over the rear axle).

Both have taps fitted, the fuel one just runs through the tub liner and tub body into the void where the filler neck is, and a T piece into the filler neck.
At camp when desired I can just open that up, with the left rear tyre up slightly, and drain it all into the main tank, takes about 20mins.

Great having range to do the big outback drives.
FollowupID: 879791

Reply By: Member - gonefish - Saturday, Apr 08, 2017 at 19:03

Saturday, Apr 08, 2017 at 19:03
We bought a long range tank for our Ranger 4x4 dual cab from Ironman Osborne Park WA. After about 13 months, and beach driving etc not rugged 4wd - too old for that. the baffles had come loose in the tank. Went back to Ironman and was told was not covered. Rubbish. Rang Consumer Affairs - we told them it was supposed to have a 12 warranty and Consumer said - how long did we expect it to last - and we said as it was a fuel tank - longer than 12 months. No go - so we DO NOT recommend Ironman products now.

Got an original single tank if you want to add a tank and link. It's on gumtree

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 610039

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 01:24

Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 01:24
That is not good at all, from both Ironman / their supplier or Consumer Affairs.
You'd reasonably expect a fuel tank to give a good decade of service !!

What did you end up doing ?
Get another brand of long range tank, or still have i with the loose baffle plate ?
Suppose it rattles sometimes ?
FollowupID: 879965

Follow Up By: Member - gonefish - Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 14:40

Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 14:40
Put a jack under with a length of wood, pushed up under the tank base - bent it up a tad (deliberately) and no more rattles.

Very disappointed with Consumer - they did not get that it should last at least the life of the vehicle or yes a decade or so. And definitely no more Ironman. That was their HO in WA.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 879996

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 11:40

Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 11:40
Nick,
I agree with other posters re enmach tanks.
I have one (120 litre) fitted to my 2014 BT50. It's a perfect fit.
There are some considerations to be made, though.

Obviously when fuel is going into the main tank from the aux, air has tl be allowed to escape. There are issues.

The OEM tank breather has a check valve in it, so it only breathes one way, inwards. The check valve is to prevent fuel spillage from the breather in the event of a rollover. It won't let air out, which is what you want, and because of the check valve it is not suitable as a fuel entry point to the main tank.

The filler breather on the main tank is open to atmosphere only when the fuel cap is off, so you cant use that unless you remove the main tank filler cap.

This means that unless you fit a new breather with no obstruction to atmosphere to the main tank, you will always have to remove the main tank fuel cap to allow air out of the main tank to make the transfer to happen.

I have tried joining the main tank filler breather to the aux breather so that both are open to atmosphere via the aux breather, but it doesn't work. Don't know why, logic says it should.

I think the simplest set up for you would be to tee the aux outlet into the main filler tube if you can (difficult, perhaps) or main filler breather down near the main tank (easier) and resign yourself to stopping for half an hour or so so the transfer can happen with the main filler cap off - as others have done.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 610069

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 11:55

Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 11:55
Further to the above, in theory I think you should be able to open the ball valve before the main tank is completely empty, leave the fuel cap on and drive. As fuel is used from the main, it should be replaced by a trickle from the aux. But I haven't tested that theory.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 879986

Sponsored Links