QuikTrak - Administrator Appointed

Submitted: Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 16:47
ThreadID: 13460 Views:1632 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
After having two 1999 Prado's stolen within 6 months back in 2002 I installed QuikTrak in both my vehicles. QT is a radio tower based monitoring alarm that can track the vehicle and turn off the fuel if someone decides to borrow it against my will.
Now I am trading up to a new 100 series and was going to get the QT system transfered into the new vehicle as I have been extremely happy with the monitoring and the service. Unfortunatley a received a letter dated 24/05/04 which states that QT is now under administration and that the monitoring will continue "until further notice" and we should just keep sending out money!!

My question is - what are other pepole using as vehicle security keeping in mind that I cannot afford another stolen vehicle on my history as I will never get insurance again... Cost is not the worry, its just got to perform. Hope you can offer some ideas!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 16:53

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 16:53
Pray. There's not much you can do, if they want it they take it. You could try data dots like the Subaru's have as standard on all components with a sticker to let potential thiefs know it can be traced .
AnswerID: 61708

Reply By: Member - Cruisin (QLD) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 17:33

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 17:33
Garage at night....Steering Lock.......Alarm with dual imobiliser....another seperate immobiliser.....Removal of a key engine component.
Throw everything on it, so the only way they'll get it is to tow it away
.......Bastards !!!
Thats how mine is protected
AnswerID: 61716

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 17:48

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 17:48
Buy a Ford Explorer, no worries.

Baz.
Ps,
Mate, if they want your car, nothing you can do will help, anti-theft devices are to stop the honest crook, unless your prepared to take all the wheels off every night.
AnswerID: 61721

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 18:13

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 18:13
even taking the wheels off wont help if your vehicle is the one they want... friends had their 4by taken from outside a tyre place where it had been left with no wheels while new ones were being obtained...just pulled onto a traytop & driven away. I do favour some of the illegal theft deterrents like a live 240 volt circuit that puts the perso doing the unauthorised entry in the circuit.... an electric fence may also help gives a nast jolt... another electronics junkie has a second coil in his car with 2 electrodes in the drivers seat...if you dont turn it off before you start it you get a nasty shock which causes a fast exit.....
FollowupID: 323181

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 18:14

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 18:14
There are some new GSM alarms on the market now, they will call your mobile if it goes off and you can arm disarm, start/stop the engine, all sort of things.
You just buy a pre-paid Sim Card and stick it in the alarm. Of course this won't stop them putting it on the back of a truck and buggering off with it that way, but hell it's a good start.
AnswerID: 61723

Reply By: Member - Andrew O - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 20:22

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 20:22
At the moment I do nothing, but having had a close shave 2.5 years ago (broke into my house and took of with the keys, car parked in drive that night) its been on my mind, just not near the top of it. Jaycar do an alarm that warns you when you are within 3k of it, and it allows you to control the engine remotely (not sure how good this is, just what I've read).

The other neat trick is to put the transfer case into neutral. Most thieves would to to stupid to work out that one.

Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 61736

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 22:12

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 22:12
Its crap that you have NOTHING to do with having your car stolen, but you run the risk of not being able to get insurance again.. What do insurance companies expect? You can only do so much

Look at the thread about the stolen GQ, the thing had no wheel and shocks on one corner!!! They must have had time, cause they would have to have put wheel on. and they STILL GOT THE CAR.. so takin wheels off isnt enough anymore.

Did you have alarms and immobilisers on your stolen cars?
Were they stolen from the same place?? EG they waited till you replaced it then came back for a new one??

There would have to be other tracking companies, try some subaru clubs, I have been told WRX's wont get insurance without tracking, same as Monaros, and other top sports cars these days... if quicktrack goes toes up, then they are all dead!
AnswerID: 61761

Reply By: Bilbo - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 22:16

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 22:16
I jsut love that South African invention that prevents car-jacking. It consists of a big LPG bottle fitted under each side of car, It then has huge LPG gas jets that vent up the passenger and drivers side of the vehicle.

Just press the right button inside the car and 2 huge flaming jets spurt out to about head level of someone standing alongside the car and WHHHOMMMPPPPPAAAAA - no more car jacker! Or at best a "Crispy Car Jacker".

Plays havoc with paintwork but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Bilbogas :0)
AnswerID: 61763

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 22:45

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 22:45
Bear...

Wait till July 1, there is a new system being released . Mates company is doing the monitoring, but nothing can be said until July first.

Thats all I know (just asked him on ICQ)
AnswerID: 61768

Sponsored Links