Article Comment: GPS Vehicle Tracking Options

Submitted: Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 13:53
ThreadID: 134619 Views:3726 Replies:7 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Why do you advertise these tracking products when someone like myself who has paid for the subscription and services gets no support or help when things go wrong.
You should state in the advertisements that if the product doesn't work then technical support is not provided and your on your own.
Jan.23 the issue was referred to your developer, still waiting for a reply.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 14:07

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 14:07
Barry what are you referring to please? We have no outstanding enquiry from you from Jan 23. Please give me all the details and I will respond.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 610005

Reply By: Barry B17 - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 14:17

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 14:17
Refer to Adele Scala for the issue or send me an email address and I can forward you the numerous emails that have gone back and forth about the problem.
AnswerID: 610006

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 14:53

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 14:53
Sorry I thought you said you'd had no support. If Adele couldn't solve it for you then it's obviously a very erroneous issue. I will look up your email address in your Member profile and send you an email to discuss more.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879906

Follow Up By: Barry B17 - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 14:58

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 14:58
Michelle,
The final action taken by Adele was to for ward it on to the developers, that was on the 23rd January.
I will correct myself in that Adele did make attempts to resolve the problem but was not able so referred it on. Since then I have chased her up several times and she was going to investigate but still no action.
FollowupID: 879907

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 15:13

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 15:13
"the developers" is David and me! We work together in the Perth office. Adele works in the Pilbara so not able to easily discuss things with us except by email however Adele was very capable and she would have done everything to help you. Adele is no longer working for us, and I don't have any correspondence as she must have handled it all without involving me but I can confirm that there are no known, or reported outstanding errors in any of our products, or software. Troubleshooting individual problems is not always possible if we can't replicate the problem and if the report is a once-off meaning other people aren't reporting the same error then it invariably means the issue is isolated to the user or the device not our software. If Adele couldn't solve it with you then unfortunately I doubt that we can either but please send me all your details and we can go through it.

Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879908

Reply By: Idler Chris - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 15:04

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 15:04
Barry I would suggest you are being very unfair. Any regular reader of this Forum would be under no illusion that David and Michelle go out of their way to support their products. This Forum is full of queries from Member's and Non-Members alike which have been answered by either David or Michelle. They are only a small company and while most likely not perfect, they try to be, as you will soon find out when you give Michelle the requested information. A bit of patience and understanding, I would suggest, is better than making untrue statements.
Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 610008

Follow Up By: Barry B17 - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 15:20

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 15:20
Chris, I'm sure there are a lot of satisfied EO customers unfortunately I'm not one of them and I believe I have the freedom of speech to express that. Also I can back up my statement is true by the numerous emails that have gone back and forth over the past year or so.
FollowupID: 879909

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 15:59

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 15:59
Hi Barry,
Trusting you will contact Michelle as suggested, and please do let us know of the outcomes.
Have a great weekend.
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 879911

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 16:17

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 16:17
Barry, Your post says that EO do not provide technical support, which is simply not true. Your subsequent posts indicate there has been technical support. By all means voice any dissatisfaction with that support, but your are misleading people by saying support is not provided. Adele had been a very competent employee with EO for many years and unfortunately for you she left while your query was in progress. EO has lost a valuable resource and Michelle's work load has just significantly increased. Notwithstanding that she is still trying to help you which I would suggest is great customer and technical support.
I know its not what you want to hear, but if there is an issue with any EO product it usually affect numerous users, and EO's track record in the past has been a speedie resolution to the issue.
I believe you owe the readers of this Forum an apology for misleading them in saying EO do not support their products.
Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879912

Follow Up By: Barry B17 - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 22:59

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 22:59
Chris, I make no apologies to anyone for my statements. I purchased a product, made the installation, had issues, some basic support was given, handed over to others who in turn placed the blame on my equipment/installation. I explained that my equipment is top quality so I doubted the problem (refer my reply to Moss) The issue still remains that EO are aware of and have not resolved. Hence my comments.
I have made all efforts and attempts to fix the problem my end as advised but I still have paid for a subscription and a product that fails to deliver.
I find emails very impersonal, a phone call to resolve the problem would have been appreciated but EO prefers to isolate themselves from their customers in that way.
If there was no fix then a refund for the costs of the product and subscription or the option to extend my membership until the situation was resolved and I would have been a satisfied customer. This exercise was a trial to see how the base product performed before moving on to the higher end.
FollowupID: 879933

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 16:24

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 16:24
The developer (David Martin) responded to you in your post 134387. This was in February. If anyone else wishes to offer assistance please go ahead, but we cannot determine the cause of this issue to be anything else other than a device fault of some sort. Extensive technical support has been offered but we are unable to resolve this to your liking and I'm very sorry there is nothing more we can do. Please take your device back to the retailer and see if they can test the GPS driver and store/forward services.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 610009

Reply By: moss - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 19:49

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 19:49
Barry
check that your tablet is not going to sleep. If it is then the gps is turned off automatically and when you wake the tablet up the gps wakes up and the gives a new location, your mapping program the draws a straight line from your last position to your new one.
no fault to any software, just a computer following instructions!!!
good luck
David
AnswerID: 610012

Follow Up By: Barry B17 - Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 22:20

Friday, Apr 07, 2017 at 22:20
G'day Moss, Thanks, but I did make sure that the devices were always set to stay 'awake' and were plugged into power while were traveling in case the batteries died. We did about about a dozen trips over a 12 month period to check if things were working, each time trying something new. My son has a degree in IT and has checked my software for functionality, I am a civil engineer, private aircraft pilot and hold a a Master V certificate in commercial maritime so have a fair idea about navigation and computers. I also checked the GPS accuracy of both my devices against a known reference point on a marine mark and they were both within tolerance. The devices were both spec'd to the high end of the professional market and certainly not what one would call cheap. Taking the items back to the retailer (the likes of Harvey Norman) and having their "staff" check them out would hardly seem worth the effort. It's obviously a device/software compatibility problem my end that I cannot resolve as I know very little about the functionality of the software.
FollowupID: 879925

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Apr 08, 2017 at 06:54

Saturday, Apr 08, 2017 at 06:54
At the risk of adding fuel to the fire I have to say...

EO trackme definitely has the bug described - no doubt. It is not the device, it is not going to sleep. The app just randomly stops tracking, sometimes for days. ( Probably until the phone is rebooted)

I had the same issue with a S2, Note 2, S5 . All work 100% and track with other apps ( eg Memory Map, Google maps, Oziexplorer, Google Location History) but just stop tracking for EO track me.

The bug has been there for years. David did look into it some time ago but it was never resolved. I just gave up.

It is a pity, it is otherwise fantastic, but it is not reliable enough to use as a tracking system.

I was so disappointed to get home from my Cape York trip to find less than 1/3 was tracked. It just decides to work sometimes and not at other times. It was never resolved for me either. For that same track Google location history tracked the entire trip ( though it isn't the best for tracking 4wd trips)

ITS NOT THE PHONE!!!!!!

I now use Memory Maps tracking which is reliable, it doesn't have the nice web function though.

I am posting this Michelle because it isn't an isolated user, it is a bug an EO need to know that, perhaps with Samsung phones. I was left unhappy because I was told that resources are thin at EO and the new map app was a priority. Not a great answer.

FollowupID: 879936

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Apr 08, 2017 at 06:57

Saturday, Apr 08, 2017 at 06:57
Sorry meant to post my Cape York trip. ( I have sent this to EO in the past)
Cape York trip

Chunks missing every few days. Despite looks, the return trip was a drive via fraser Island over 3 weeks, not a direct flight. Note if you click on 'map' it shows a different track, returning via Fraser island - still not right though.

Google's location history shows the entire trip correctly over the entire 6 week period, even for periods where I had no phone reception. So the phone was obviously on and tracking correctly.

I hope the users reporting bugs can be treated seriously, I was told it was the phone too! .EO trackme could be a valuable tool if it worked with Android.

For me, it has a critical bug that makes it so unreliable that it's of no use. I tried everything to resolve it over a long period. Change phones, check other apps, check config, ask EO for help.

I just hope EO has the right resources and mindset to fix it one day.
FollowupID: 879937

Follow Up By: Barry B17 - Monday, Apr 10, 2017 at 07:57

Monday, Apr 10, 2017 at 07:57
Tony, Good to hear that I'm not an isolated case.
FollowupID: 880007

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2017 at 12:54

Sunday, Apr 16, 2017 at 12:54
Hi Barry,
Was wondering if your 'problems' are being acknowledged/addressed/resolved??

Cheers & beers

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 610254

Follow Up By: Barry B17 - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2017 at 08:00

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2017 at 08:00
Hi Tony,
The problem was always acknowledged from the very start.
It was addressed up to a point, then passed back to me and the problem being with my equipment.
Resolved?...No. I've done all I can my end.
EO wouldn't offer any further help as my membership has lapsed and I wont be renewing. I joined 2 years ago primarily to use this service and in that time have had no success with the product so I wont continue to pay money to something that serves no purpose to me.
FollowupID: 880210

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2017 at 10:17

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2017 at 10:17
Hi Barry,
Sorry to hear of your ongoing problem.
I presume/assume you have followed all the advice/suggestions given to you by EO?
I have absolutely NO affiliation (other than being a general member) with EO, but I find it strange or at least hard to accept there hasn't been further contact with you from EO, especially after Boobooks comments.
I was considering purchasing this product....but will hold back now.
Stay safe
CU down the road

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 610302

Follow Up By: Barry B17 - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2017 at 10:30

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2017 at 10:30
Tony,
I have had several contacts from EO (off forum) especially after the reaction to my initial post but no resolution to the problem. I guess it was only a $5 piece of software so expect to get what you pay for. I'm now using a cheap $50 mobile phone and sim card permanently connected to USB power in the van. Simply connect to the Google phone tracking app and it works a treat. Just have to set a reminder to top up the sim card before it expires.
FollowupID: 880214

Sponsored Links