Icom HF......................

Submitted: Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 18:25
ThreadID: 13463 Views:2631 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Went down to the local coms shop today and was ready to hand over the $3300 for a Barret 950 transceiver and was given the sell job on the Icom F7000. Bloke reakons the Icom is better as far as quality/ durability goes. "The defence force use these HF units" he said. I was tossing up betwen the Codan and the Barret and opted to go the barret. Now I duno what the go is. Has anybody got anything to say about the" Icom HF" and the "Moonraker antenna" that Icom recoment for their transceivers?

Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 18:53

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 18:53
Buy a Coden, the leaders in HF in this country.

Just have a look at how many of them are out there in the real world.
Police, Parks, Outback Stations all use only Coden.
Cost a bit more but the technology is leading edge and the service and support is A1.
As they say outback Australia is Coden Country.

By the way I am not bagging Barrett, it's just that the Barrett unit is at about the technology standard that Coden was at 8 to 10 years ago.
The Coden NGT is very easy to use technology, considering that HF is not easy technology to master for most people.

Others will tell you to buy Barrett and if you did I'm sure you would be happy, but for the little difference in price (About $700) the NGT is well worth it.

I recently considered the QMac, again not much different in price but along way different in technology.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 61727

Follow Up By: Brad - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 19:17

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 19:17
I'm interested in this subject.
I find it hard to get info on Qmac.
What are your thoughts (to a novice - me) about Codan vs Qmac if I only want 'basic' functions such as vks737 and RFDS. Whats the difference in price ? And the technology (I presume you are saying the qmac is much more basic) ??The Qmac looks like it would be easier to fit in the truck ???
Thanks,
Brad.
FollowupID: 323190

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 21:21

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 21:21
Brad I just had a quote on the Qmac at about $3500 plus about $250 to fit it to vehicle.
I know of a guy who buoght a NGT from a Melb dealer for $3600 and fitted it himself.
I was quoted about $4200 fitted and trained and VKS membership.

The other concern I had was servicability, Codan and Barrett are serviced everywhere, to me this is of major consideration.

Are Qmac and Icom service as extensive as the other two.

Again on the cost base issue I would pay the extra and buy the Codan for the few extra dollars, I think you get a much better unit.

And as pointed out both are Aussie made.

One other point is is HF what you need, what about a Sat Phone as a cheaper and easier to use option.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 323202

Follow Up By: Brad - Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 08:06

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 08:06
Thanks John for that info.
I already have a satphone, so thats why I'm in no rush with an HF. At some stage I would like a 'cheap and simple' HF, more as a means to chat than as lifesaving comms.
I was hoping the qmac would fit the cheap and simple, but it doesn't look like it. I'll probabaly slowly browse the 2nd hand options.
cya
Brad.
FollowupID: 323246

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 09:35

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 09:35
" 'cheap and simple' HF" hahahahaha now my favourite oxymoron surpassing "Military Intelligence"

I am interested too, as outback travel is on the cards some time in the future and this type of discussion is excellent, thanx guys. Had perchance to listen to a Barrett at the Outback Challenge, self tuning stainless whip antenna, but the base had a few stress cracks starting to form and the owner was going to take it back for replacement (the antenna), but I like the idea of a the stainless whip rather than the big bulky black fibreglass things I have seen elsewhere.

I have thought satphone, but its the listening that I like the idea of too, school of the air, was a delight to listen to as well as news, weather, others etc. Sat phone doesnt have these things. Carry on as I listen at the side guys.

Regards
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 323256

Follow Up By: Brad - Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 12:33

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 12:33
I'm thinking in terms of an HF with 5 - 10 freq (all 5 vks737 freq, maybe a couple of RFDS) hooked up to a tapped aerial. Maybe around $1000. To me that's "cheap and simple"...of course whether I can find it is another matter.
Don't know anything about military intelligence, maybe ask George Dubya...
Regards,
Brad.
FollowupID: 323265

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 18:47

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 18:47
Brad have a look here on the EO Trader section, Go to Radios and GPS. There is a couple of second hand HF'S one with a tap antenna for $500-.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 323284

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 18:57

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 18:57
Bonz I stand to corrected on this but the Codan comes with both Stainless and Fibreglass whips.
The primary is the glass whip and the stainless is the back up / secondary.

My understanding is that the stainless is not quite as good as the glass.

Don't know how much of a difference, maybe very little and it seems that the Stainless is more robust to being hit, hence why they are probably used by more people.

But maybe the Barrett only comes with the stainless, maybe a Barrett owner can confirm this for us.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 323285

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 20:04

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 20:04
Icom have been making leading edge rigs for many years but I'd be inclined to go with either the Barrett or Codan. These rigs have proven themselves here in Oz as being good performers, built like a brick and being Oz built no problems with parts or service and good resale value. You made up your mind, stick with it and don't them them side track you for whatever reason. Personally I would go the Codan.
AnswerID: 61732

Reply By: Foss - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 20:14

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 20:14
G'Day Alex

I don't know enough about the Icom/Moonraker combo to be able to comment. However, Doug at lakecom communications ( the guy that runs Radtel ) was doing some development testing of this very radio/antenna while I was up there getting a Codan NGT fitted to the ute. I ended up getting the Codan because it's so easy to use. After all, if I'm hurt, bitten or otherwise someone else will have to handle the radio for me and I want to make it as quick and easy as possible.
Not being sexist or derogatory but my missus can make phone calls on it. Technology is not her friend.

It would be a good thing to give doug taylor a ring and have a chat with him before you make your decission. (02) 4943 1745

I'm not giving Doug free advertising here. It's just that good customer service is very thin on the ground these days.

cheers
Foss
AnswerID: 61735

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 20:40

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 20:40
Foss, have you had any experience with any of the other Codan models? I have an HF on the wish list, but my mate recently bought the 8528 I think it was, and he said it's a little on the complex side, so it put me off.
FollowupID: 323200

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 21:25

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 21:25
My understanding is the 8 series Codans are about the same level of technology as the current Barretts in terms of user friendly, as I said in earlier post Barrett are about 8 to 10 years behind Codan.
The NGT is designed to be as user friendly as possible.

You will have to check it out for yourself.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 323203

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 20:39

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 20:39
Icom have been making very good gear for a very long time, i can't imagine their HF products being of any less quality.

They have had a long history of HF on big boats!
AnswerID: 61738

Reply By: The Banjo - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 22:08

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 22:08
I use the Barrett 950 - got it for a great price used - could easily have gone Codan though - I was simply looking for a good unit with selcall and radphone capability - Codan may be a bit whizz-bang in their design ideas but its got to be practical and easily useable - not all that glistens is gold - and as for Barrett being 10 years behind !!! All I know is that Barrett have looked after me very well with a warranty item (second owner). Re the Qmac - someone on this forum was disparaging about service awhile back - search for that item - have seem favourable comment too on the unit BUT it is 50 watt I'm told - the others are 100W nominal - can be higher if the battery is up a bit !
Re Icom.....beware the babbling salesperson...Icom is good stuff but are they proven in the long term, in Australian conditions ?
Barrett and Codan manufacture in Australia and there are dealers all over the place. I would definitely stay with the big two. You can go Barrett in SA for just under $3000 all up. Not sure on Codan prices here.....Alec Dawes in Victoria does used Codans if you are interested - 0417 566 022) - Re useability; they are all about 50% computer - always have the book handy if you need to something uncommon). Also, try www.vks737.on.net for more info on HF -v- Satphone issues.
AnswerID: 61759

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 07:07

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 07:07
Alex,

UIntil we put in a UHF repeater a few years ago, we had used HF for over 20 years, mainly Codan. Tried a couple of Barretts, the only plus with them being the facility to change frequencies - if you knew which link to remove!!!

As for Qmac's 50 watt, would prefer 100 watts if someones life was at stake. Bad electrical weather can make HF transmissions rather ordinary, and one needs all the power you can get, to cut through the static.

We use Icom UHF gear, and it's very robust, but would rather stick with the Aussie products. I would question too, whether Barrett is "10 years behind Codan", they've been making aircraft HF's for yonks.

Your loot, Alex, but buy the Codan.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 61792

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 18:42

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 18:42
Hi Bob
Your point regarding 50 V 100 watts is a very good point, when you need it you want everything going your way.

The situation with the Barrett V Codan is that the guys who own / run Barrett used to work for Codan, they left to set up their own operation and since they started from scratch they were behind the 8 ball in regards to the R & D that lead to the Codan NGT.

My understanding is an issue of patent's that now won't allow them to lift to the NGT type model.

This leads to the issue that they can only produce what is unprotected in the market and so the Barrett is said to be equivilent to the latter 8 series Codans produced 8 to 10 years ago, hence 8 to 10 years behind the NGT system for design and user ability.

Don't get me wrong I am not bagging the Barrett they are a fine radio and Australian made, my view is Approx $3000 Barrett or $3600 for the Codan, little difference in price in my view, I would go with the Codan latest technology, better resale, more user friendly, seem to be used by more commercial operators as stated in my earlier post, better remote service because of so many operators.

Codan have been in the HF radio and other communications business for a lot longer than Barrett and have been producing HF for Aircraft, Marine, Defence, Civilian use for a lot longer.

I have a Sat phone and for the reasons others have mentioned besides the saftey issue I will be fitting a Codan in the very near future.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 323283

Follow Up By: Crackles - Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 19:05

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 19:05
"As for Qmac's 50 watt, would prefer 100 watts if someones life was at stake and one needs all the power you can get, to cut through the static."

Bob. I wouldn't be too concerned about the Qmac's 50 watt power output as half the power doesn't mean half the distance. In fact it will usually transmit over 80% of the distance that the full size sets will, so with the great coverage that the VKS 737 network provide, you would rarely be out of range. Their small size & simple opperation make them ideal for the casual HF user. I also had the chance to play with an old 30 watt Codan 'lunch box' radio with a wire antenae & it transmitted from Victoria to Alice, so bigger isn't neccesarily better. Cheers Craig..........
FollowupID: 323286

Sponsored Links