fraser island questions

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 10:43
ThreadID: 134630 Views:3018 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
hi every one i may be going to faser island in september & would like to here from those that have camped there what are the best camp sites with facilitys & also a few of the must see things & the dont bother things thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pushy - Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 11:07

Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 11:07
Not a bad campsite on the whole Island,just check the National Park's website if you are after facilities.If you are going in school holidays the sites with facilities will be in high demand and no matter where you go you will have to book.
Just make sure you are Dingo safe.

As far as sights go don't miss the lakes, forest,Eli Creek and just about every part of the beach.

Only don'ts are all the idiots, just identify them and steer clear.
AnswerID: 610065

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 15:44

Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 15:44
Depends what you mean by full facilities....Cathedrals and Dilli Village are the only powered camp areas I can think of. If you hop on National Parks website for Fraser Island, it'll have a list of which of the other camp grounds have what at them (ie: hot showers, toilets etc)
AnswerID: 610079

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 18:12

Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 18:12
Central Station is a good place to camp to explore the southern end of the island, with good facilities (showers & toilets), but no powered sites. Don't expect to rely on Solar power at Central Station as there is too much shade for solar.

Dundabara is also a good place with facilities, (no Power) for exploring the northern end of the island. Less shade here, so solar is effective.

If you have the right vehicle, go to the northern tip, and down the east side. Not many people see the north-east end of the island, but this is quite nice.

Do not leave anything out at your campsite, as not only are the Dingos a problem, but also bush rats. They got into our outdoor kitchen sink and pinched the plug.

There is really nothing that is not worth seeing. Be careful crossing Eli Creek, not a good idea to cross this at high tide, seen too many photos of vehicles that have come to grief trying to cross at high tide.

The resorts can be expensive to stay at, but they do have powered camp sites. Fuel is expensive on the island. If you can't carry enough on board yourself for your whole stay, try and limit the amount you buy to just get you through until you get back to the mainland.

Best place to access the island is from Rainbow Beach/Inskip Point. Need to make your crossing on a dropping tide, definitely not high tide.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 610086

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Monday, Apr 10, 2017 at 07:41

Monday, Apr 10, 2017 at 07:41
Re fueling up.....Fuel is 10c a liter cheaper in Maryborough
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 880006

Reply By: Tim F3 - Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 19:32

Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 19:32
You should still have good fishing (tailor ) in sept..might be an idea to use waders if you step into the ocean , in light of the deadly jellyfish now known to be present in the ocean...quite a number of people have been airlifted for emergency treatment on the mainland.

National parks have decided the eastern beach is 4 seperate zones.you have to decide and pay for camping on which zone you widh to camp on..if you decide to camp on a particular zone and when you get there you decide you would rather have camped on another zone , you need to rebook at extra cost to another zone.. (not much phone coverage )

Please check with nat parks..

On our last trips we have booked a house at the top of the island..initially it looks more expensive....BUT... it is privately owned..no nat parks restrictions , wood fires and cutting firewood allowed less fees to nat parks..lots of advantages...solar power , great bathrooms ,private block of land , better security , more comfort ..

Just a thought..
AnswerID: 610087

Reply By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 23:07

Sunday, Apr 09, 2017 at 23:07
Not as many people up around Sandy Cape. The Ngkala Rocks bypass filters out most of them. It's a pain having to book before you get to see what everything is like and how crowded it is. Mobile reception is very patchy.
AnswerID: 610098

Follow Up By: rumpig - Monday, Apr 10, 2017 at 06:38

Monday, Apr 10, 2017 at 06:38
It's one of the nicest parts of the island up there at Sandy Cape but it's not what the OP wanted, just basic self sufficient beach camping only / no facilities
FollowupID: 880005

Follow Up By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2017 at 11:24

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2017 at 11:24
Shhhhhhh!
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 880086

Sponsored Links