which ute

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 12, 2017 at 14:11
ThreadID: 134645 Views:3658 Replies:12 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
As I've had spinal surgery I'm considering selling my Patrol & buying a more car like 4x4 ute, But looking for info on what might have the better drivers seat, I need something with plenty of padding on the bit you sit on more than on the back rest. I live in a small country town so have been looking on the "net" but hard to tell about the seats. I'm looking at a second hand ( close to new ) one about $30,000 & was interested in the D Max but wondering what others think. Any ideas appreciated.
Cheers Dave
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - peter h (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2017 at 15:09

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2017 at 15:09
Hi
I sold my fully decked out patrol for the same reason except wifes back not mine. Brought the ford ranger after driving the others . Wifes very happy and i guess that makes me too
Peter
AnswerID: 610163

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Apr 16, 2017 at 10:23

Sunday, Apr 16, 2017 at 10:23
Ford Ranger/Mazda BT50 have had issues with transmission. There was a recall a year or so ago, not sure what the outcome was. You need to do some research on these before you make your final decision.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 880157

Reply By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2017 at 15:32

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2017 at 15:32
I have a bad back also and I did what you are planning to do. I have a D-Max now and are very happy with it. I can drive for quite long stretches without pain. A friend who had a Navara his wife refused to travel in it anymore because it was just to painful. He took her around the yards and when she said the Amorok was OK, thats what he brought, nothing else was considered.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 610164

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2017 at 17:14

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2017 at 17:14
Like Chris I have the D-Max - great reliable vehicle but when it comes to seating it is a bit like buying shoes on line, you really need to try them on first.
I have heard some bag the D-Max because of the seating, I find them fine but then it is a personal choice isn't it!
FollowupID: 880095

Reply By: Geoff K4 - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2017 at 20:32

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2017 at 20:32
I like my D-max but wife doesn't like the the hard seating and we both like the Kluger seats better, so much as we are trying to buy kluger seats for the Max.
AnswerID: 610169

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2017 at 21:35

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2017 at 21:35
There are a few after market seat manufactures out there - Recaro, Stratos and Cobra etc but none of them seem to make one suitable for my wife when we are out travelling in the middle of nowhere !

How hard could it really be to make an ejector seat ??????

Happy safe and nag free travelling

Gazz
FollowupID: 880097

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2017 at 22:42

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2017 at 22:42
Is the Patrol too high for you ?
Just thinking many utes now aren't terribly comfy in the seats, and people that drive a lot upgrade them anyway.

A young bloke I know with a new 79 series single cab bought good 2nd hand Falcon XR6 seats which as very comfy apparently.

Maybe consider finding some good seats and retro fit yourself (or get them fitted).
My old '88 NF Pajero has drivers and pax suspension seats, and they are unbelievably comfortable.
Maybe a second hand pair of those and even have upholstered to suit the Patrol ?
They were in the NF upgrade pack, maybe the NG as well, last of the Generation 1.
AnswerID: 610172

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2017 at 08:09

Thursday, Apr 13, 2017 at 08:09
Hi Les,
The Patrol's not to high, It's got a lot of gear fitted for long distance touring which I wont be doing now so a bit of a waste, I'll only be doing the occasional short trips & a bit of beach driving, That's why changing vehicles.
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880100

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Apr 13, 2017 at 08:21

Thursday, Apr 13, 2017 at 08:21
That's a shame Dave, and I wish you well for any chance of recovery and increase in any way of pain free travel / lifestyle improvement.

In that case, I would not worry about others experiences too much, just get around and actually drive the various ranges of vehicles.

Just a thought / suggestion . . .

Utes can be pretty harsh with some (most ?) rear leaf sprung, or just set up to carry larger loads . . . maybe time to look at capable wagons ??

Isusu MUX, Ford Everest, maybe there are Mits Challenger type vehicles out there ?
I am pretty impressed with Pajeros for capability, and apparent comfort reported by fellow owners.
FollowupID: 880101

Follow Up By: GREG T11 - Thursday, Apr 13, 2017 at 19:18

Thursday, Apr 13, 2017 at 19:18
There has been a number of suggestions praising the XR seats lately but for me they were the worst I have ever had. Perhaps in another vehicle they may be better but in a BF I had they were terrible. I think it was the lack of ( for me ) thigh support and the procedure involved in actually getting in probably didn't help, duck head under raked pillar, squeeze under wheel with one leg whist placing foot between pedals to get extra space. As I said in another vehicle they may be better but....

When I was a bit younger we had a XJ jeep which when we bought it had sheepskin seat covers on it, we had it for 5 years and never had an issue with the seats. Took the covers off for a clean one day and drove around without them for a week or two. What a difference that made, for the worse. Put them back on and kept it for another 2 years.

Never had a drama with seats in any vehicle apart from that one. It really is a hard call when you can only do a short test drive when appraising a potential purchase.

We have a 2011 Colorado and I would class the seats as adequate, a tad more supportive ( for me ) than a 2013 triton that was a company vehicle for a while . Hasn't screwed my back up like the Falcon used to anyway.

Good luck with it.
FollowupID: 880110

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Apr 13, 2017 at 19:25

Thursday, Apr 13, 2017 at 19:25
No doubt about it Greg, good thick lambswool seat covers re pretty nice, make a huge difference to comfort.
They are great the wool toppers on a bed too, very cool / warm as needed, and give a superbly comfortable nights sleep.

I think it is a very individual thing, specific back problems may make some seat features better than others.
Was going to suggest earlier that to OP should test drive a decent time / distance if possible . . . some dealers will let you take a vehicle overnight / weekend, depends on how seriously they want the sale sometimes, worth asking, mentioning the issue with back problem and the need for a decent trial drive.
FollowupID: 880111

Reply By: Dave(NSW) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2017 at 08:17

Thursday, Apr 13, 2017 at 08:17
Thanks for the ideas every one, As some one said, every ones idea on what is comfortable is different, So I'll just have to get out there & put bum on seats to try them.
Cheers Dave.
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 610175

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Apr 14, 2017 at 05:27

Friday, Apr 14, 2017 at 05:27
Suggest you talk with a physio about optimal seating.

Often what feels OK for a 15 minute test will feel bad after 5 hours.

And you may find the solution in the gym, not in a wagon.

Good luck with it.
AnswerID: 610199

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Friday, Apr 14, 2017 at 09:20

Friday, Apr 14, 2017 at 09:20
Do physio every week to help with walking & balance and I've been using one of those padded seat things designed for wheel chairs, I find it moves around when driving & causes problems. The problem I get is nerve pain down my left leg after driving for more than an hour, I had neck surgery for spinal cord compression ( which stopped me ending up in a wheel chair) but have nerve ending problems which effect left hip & leg. I was looking at selling the Patrol (Manuel) & getting an auto but need something with softer padded seat, Maybe an MU-X or X-Trail might be the go, looking for something that can handle soft sand as well as occasional dirt tracks
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880121

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Friday, Apr 14, 2017 at 09:53

Friday, Apr 14, 2017 at 09:53
Well, as it happens I have chronic back pain and drive an MUX. I've found the seat the most comfortable I've encountered in 45 years of driving - but at a glance my back problem isn't the same as yours.

This wagon has IFS and coil/live axle at the rear. I find the ride pretty good and not that different from a sedan. It's also pretty capable in the rough.

So anyway, have you tried one of those inflatable seats like an AirHawk?
FollowupID: 880122

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Friday, Apr 14, 2017 at 10:14

Friday, Apr 14, 2017 at 10:14
Sigmund,
Yes I've tried the AirHawk inflatables a few years back when driveing trucks & found once you sit your weight on them they compress the air making them firm with no give left, It might end up as easy as going to Clark rubber & getting some sort of sponge rubber to sit on.
I'll definitely have a look at the MU-X
Cheers Dave
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880123

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Friday, Apr 14, 2017 at 07:48

Friday, Apr 14, 2017 at 07:48
I'm going against the grain here.
Ive had 3 lower back operations. My 1st op was in 2000, the most recent in January 2016 which was a stabilization.
The 80 Series Landcruiser seats I find are the kindest to my back with the added bonus of reliability and capability of the vehicle.
My 1990 XF panelvan seats are also very comfortable and both have lambswool seat covers.
I have traveled in many late model vehicles with the moulded seats, they all have been shortcomings for my back.
I'd keep the Patrol and add suspension seating.
AnswerID: 610202

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Friday, Apr 14, 2017 at 17:24

Friday, Apr 14, 2017 at 17:24
Dave, I feel for you and know first hand what you talking about.

My wife has done everything to keep herself going on long trips and 4wd tracks. She does exercises twice a day and walks 5k in the morning with me.

I don't think there is an answer to your question. Sometimes she is fine from day to day travelling and otter times not so good. I try to keep the K's down and know when she is hurting. She has tried everything and the vehicle seating changes all the time from foam wedges, back support, towels and altering the seat.

I don't believe you need a new vehicle for your back, you need to experiment with how your back works. Also physios are different and other ones may give you relief with different exercises.

I think what I am saying is, don't give up on your present vehicle but if you change there will maybe no other vehicles that suit your needs day to day.

All the best and keep on truckin.

AnswerID: 610224

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Friday, Apr 14, 2017 at 21:39

Friday, Apr 14, 2017 at 21:39
Physio's good, Got me from getting around like Quasimodo dragging one leg around to walking reasonably good. But as I have nerve damage I get pains like electric shocks at different times in hands & legs mainly left leg which stops me sometimes being able to push the clutch in properly ( alright if a 15 speed RR lol)
So was going to up grade to an auto, So will get into town & try the seats in a few different brands.
Cheers Dave
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880140

Follow Up By: mountainman - Saturday, Apr 15, 2017 at 01:41

Saturday, Apr 15, 2017 at 01:41
Good Seats help with Good comfortable ride.
but if your having that much trouble with your back , in driving, some serious custom suspension would also assist in the whole package.
Like the ICON stuff DAZ at Autocraft sells.
I know when i changed my standard seats to recaro buckets in my hj47 the comfort improved and then had some extra padding made a world of difference.
Then new OME suspension made it unreal.
but id love to get some ICON stuff on it , as it would be better again in every way.
FollowupID: 880144

Reply By: ian.g - Sunday, Apr 16, 2017 at 11:59

Sunday, Apr 16, 2017 at 11:59
If you want a comfortable ride and good supportive seats you can't go past a V6 V.W. Amarok, also has the grunt to tow most vans. Not the cheapest utes around but one of the best and will eat Rangers for fuel efficiency comfort and reliability. I don't own one but wished I did.
AnswerID: 610252

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Sunday, Apr 16, 2017 at 18:46

Sunday, Apr 16, 2017 at 18:46
Change the seats to after-market seats rather than the vehicle, is that an option for you?

Would be cheaper if that works...

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
AnswerID: 610260

Reply By: Winner W - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2017 at 09:18

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2017 at 09:18
What is going to work for you is going to take a lot of lengthy sitting in different cars and utes as each person will have different back issues . Our different anatomy shapes and sizes and surgeries all all different .No one has exactly the same type of operation even if it is named identical . What will work for me wont work for you. I can recommend my Ford Wildtrak driversseat is the best I have sat in in any car or 4wd and I love driving looonngg drives . Even my tall son and short wife find the seats and esp the drivers seat very comfy on long trips with 10 hour drive days.
I can say the all the Tritons has the worst seats and position for me personally. They dont have have enough leg support and you sit a bit low so lots of stress is on the lower back and buttocks and hamstrings. Even the MQ Triton is barely better.
Before you buy go and sit in a few cars or utes on your shortlist and then take them for a test drive. If a car has 6 or 8 way adjusting drivers seats its already a good sign that you may find the seat you like and under the leg support is important for any back issues. You need to be able to adjust the seat under your hamstrings to adjust the angle of your legs and hips in relation to your spine. Cross off the ones you dont like and then rent the ones you like for a day or two and take them for a nice long drive to get the feel . Keep us posted what worked for you and what you did. Happy shopping !
AnswerID: 610300

Reply By: Nutta - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2017 at 21:44

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2017 at 21:44
Maybe the new navara is worth a test, i think they now have coil rear springs as well as front of course.
Cheers Wayne
AnswerID: 610330

Sponsored Links