Travelling with fragile goods

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 23, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1347 Views:1466 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all, Just a question in regards to travelling with fragile goods (i.e. eggs, beer/wine bottles etc etc) Does anyone have any ideas/tricks to carting such goods so as they arrive in the same or close to the same condition as they were pre-departure? cheers, Sam.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trev - Sunday, Jun 23, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 23, 2002 at 00:00
Sam -add long life milk in those paper type containers to your list.
I made a base for our spare, spare tyre from two circular discs held together on either side of the tyre bead with cable ties. It was good for holding an enormous amount of tin food, with the contents written in permanent ink.
Only ptoblem it was so heavy it took two of us to lift the darn thing.
We gave up carrying eggs but the beer and wine was always looked after. Trev
AnswerID: 4376

Reply By: John - Sunday, Jun 23, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 23, 2002 at 00:00
Sam, have found that eggs travel well in the yellow plastic box thing that is available in camping shops. Beer, easy, cans. Wine, 2lt casks of Bannrock Station Cab/Sav,(same wine/quality as bottles), UHT milk, on 25mm foam, packed in drawer or plastic box. Stubby coolers are great for jam, vegemite etc. Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 4378

Follow Up By: Member - Allyn - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2002 at 00:00
just finished Gibb River trip and found that bladders on Banrock casks were quite prone to tearing despite our best efforts. They are about the best going around though and it's not a bad drop as a bonus.
FollowupID: 1885

Reply By: Member - Keith - Monday, Jun 24, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 24, 2002 at 00:00
I make sure bottles and cans are always stored upright not on their side. Some say that beer in cans can rub and then leak, but I have not had this problem and the can is lighter than a bottle and easier to carry when empty.
Also, I use pieces of cardboard boxes and old bath towels as packing to prevent movement of stores.
AnswerID: 4382

Reply By: royce - Monday, Jun 24, 2002 at 00:00

Pack the eggs in your flour or sugar containers [with the flour or sugar around them!].
AnswerID: 4397

Follow Up By: Royce Moncur - Monday, Jun 24, 2002 at 00:00

Ah on a similar note.... I usually carry water in many litre and 2 litre PET softdrink bottles. If one breaks, you've got lots left. A big water container broken..... you lose it all. It's amazing how much punishment they take.
FollowupID: 1883

Reply By: Member - Tony - Monday, Jun 24, 2002 at 00:00

Sam, I've used several of the methods above, and can add the following.

Beer: cans. They're light, durable, stack better in the fridge, and can compact when empty (less rubbish to carry out). Eggs: keep in carton in top of fridge until used (the cardboard then goes on the campfire). As for jars etc, either repack in small plastic tubs (eg jams, Vegemite etc), or use the good old ExplorOz stubby holders! They're foam, so they're safe! Another option is to use corrugated cardboard dividers between your jars in the drawers or crate. Takes about 5 mins to get ready (even the young ones can do this as a craft exercise!). Milk: UHT cartons are best.

I usually try to pack is either compactable or burnable (ie paper/cardboard) rubbish, so there is less to take out.

Cheers, Tony
AnswerID: 4399

Reply By: Colin - Monday, Jun 24, 2002 at 00:00

Newspaper !! - good for wrapping most things - fruit and veg individually wrapped and stored in banana boxes with lids, then boxes start the fire when empty. Why take milk in cartons when powdered milk is as good ? Eggs - leave in shop containers and wrap in paper. Buy bread in individual 'loaf' packets to cook in camp oven - the bread will rise good if left on dash (make camp early arvo to give time to rise !) Wine casks are good. And dont forget to have all meat/fish/chicken vacuum packed and frozen - it will last much longer, even when defrosted. I use 10 lt water containers and decant enough for immediate use.
Good luck
AnswerID: 4400

Reply By: Dave - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00
For eggs, free range are the go as they have a slightly thicker shell.
AnswerID: 4585

Sponsored Links