Novel ways to cross the country, the hard way

Submitted: Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 22:02
ThreadID: 134760 Views:3328 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I thought that I'd seen most ways of doing it, either solo or in pairs, such as walking, cycling, roller skates/blades, kids scooter etc. Many times they have appeared to have very little to support them, especially water. Few of them had a support vehicle following to warn vehicles of what they are about to come across. Last week though while we were travelling North from Coober Pedy we came across a lone person headed South on a skateboard with both feet on it and using a pole to push him along. He had no backpack but at least was wearing a high visibility vest but was not making much headway. We figured that he must have a support vehicle somewhere and it was not much further North but parked. Maybe it was incapable of travelling at his slow pace. On going past him a glance in my mirror only showed a large "Caution" sign on the rear but if there was more it wasn't large enough to be seen at a useful distance or informative enough. Further North we saw a Police Troopy headed South and thought that maybe he was responding to someones complaint of a safety issue.

I know it's their "right" to travel the roads but surely there has to be a responsibility to do it in a safe manner and with a support vehicle or be sufficiently self reliant. Not often have I seen them at least be on the other side of the road looking directly at oncoming traffic. Then there's the depressing thought that on some days when there's a strong headwind that they could end up almost seeing where they started the day from. A month earlier while we were headed South that region had temperatures in the low 40's and the cyclists we saw would have fast been using up any water they had of their own.

I suppose that some do it for the bragging rights while others are supposedly raising money for charity. How many people actually stop and donate even if the road and other traffic provides an opportunity. I recently was reading about the charity events and it questioned how much was being actually raised when compared to the cost of doing it and wouldn't it be better to just donate it in the first place. I think that many people are becoming jaded by the endless charities cold calling and feel that too many donations are being soaked up in management costs.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Paul E6 - Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 08:38

Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 08:38
Before the nanny state "state of mind" it was called having a go. I bet he has come across many camp fire experts with their sage opinions.
Personally, I ask them if they want anything, and mind my biz.
AnswerID: 610671

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 08:55

Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 08:55
Having a go or plain crazy?
+
Why do we need a campfire to be an expert?
FollowupID: 880616

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 09:11

Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 09:11
If he did it with a spoon with an egg on it in his mouth then maybe I'd donate....you have to go that little bit extra to impress these days. Simply travelling 3000kms standing on a skateboard and pushing with a pole? Ho hum...
It's everyone's God given right to be an idiot. I'm using mine, that's for sure. At least he's using his for charity.
FollowupID: 880618

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 09:25

Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 09:25
You don't NEED a campfire to be an expert, it's just where most of us experts gather.
Dave.
FollowupID: 880619

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 10:13

Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 10:13
Half way across the Anne Beadel...

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 610675

Reply By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 11:23

Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 11:23
Maybe he's a gondolier on holiday from Venice???

You didn't happen to notice if he was singing O sole Mio as he punted along?

(;=))

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 610677

Reply By: gke - Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 11:27

Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 11:27
One night years ago on the Plenty Highway we shared a rest area with a photojournalist riding his bike from Perth, through the centre to Cairns. He was writing an article for a magazine.
He was happy to share a beer and meal with us, and was obviously happy to have some company.

His main problems were from corrugations- having inflamed wrists and many broken spokes.

Next morning he wouldn't accept anything, even tea bags, because of "the extra weight" !

Cheers, Graham.
AnswerID: 610678

Reply By: Joe G2 - Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 19:52

Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 19:52
Might be the same #ickhead I had to dodge going down the Kuranda Range on a skate board a couple of years ago. He had everyone's attention that morning.
AnswerID: 610685

Sponsored Links