Hancock's Lookout open to overnight camping for 6 month trial period.

Submitted: Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 22:32
ThreadID: 134794 Views:3038 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Quite some time ago now Hancock's Lookout was closed by the local council to overnight camping. I suspect some locals with self interest in mind were behind the closure. A local from Willmington named Dave Windgrove has been working tirelessly ever sinced to have it reopened. At his request, I and many others wrote to the council as to why this iconic lookout should remain open to overnight camping. Well Dave's hard work has paid off and he has just posted the following;
"MAY 2, 2017 — As of the end of the fire ban season April 30th, 2017, District Council Mt Remarkable (disremarkable council) have allowed self contained camping for a 6 month trial period at Hancock's Lookout near Wilmington S.A. . No fires or camping on fire ban days. The road in has been graded and tidied up, it was in very poor condition. Under the DCMR bilaws, there is no camping allowed along council controlled roads if it is not sign posted to do so. DCMR do not have any control over camping along any of the DPTI controlled roads ( main highway roads). Please support the local businesses and enjoy your stay in the DCMR area and please keep all camping areas tidy, this has been a long fight to get camping back, we don't want to loose the privilege again. Dave Wingrove Wilmington.

Extract from DCMR minutes
That Council designate Hancock's Lookout for overnight free camping and fires in accordance with By-Law No.4 Local Government Land, for a trial period of six (6) months commencing at the end of the declared 2016 –2017 fire ban season under the following conditions:

1. Camping is permitted for one (1) night only;

2. Camping is only permitted outside of the declared fire season and not on any declared fire ban day;

3. Any person lighting a campfire will be totally liable for any loss, damage or harm caused by the fire;

4. Campfires are subject to any ban, prohibition, restriction, or other requirement under the Fire and Emergency services Act 2005, the Native Vegetation Act 1991 or a prescribed act (clause 5(4)
Environment Protection (Air Quality) Policy 2016)."

This is a great spot with panoramic views across Spencer Gulf. Lets hope that everyone follows these simple rules so that it becomes permanent. Very well done Dave.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 23:25

Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 23:25
Thank you for bringing this good news to our attention Chris.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 610792

Reply By: 2 4 T - Friday, May 05, 2017 at 08:02

Friday, May 05, 2017 at 08:02
Thank you. It's a beautiful spot. The puppet museum in Wilmington is well worth a visit.
AnswerID: 610794

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, May 05, 2017 at 08:29

Friday, May 05, 2017 at 08:29
Hi Chris

Thanks for that great update. It is agreat place to visit and the views over the Gulf are great.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 610795

Reply By: ChrisVal7 - Friday, May 05, 2017 at 15:53

Friday, May 05, 2017 at 15:53
Great news! Thanks for letting us all know.
AnswerID: 610820

Reply By: Member - wicket - Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 10:53

Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 10:53
and this is the view when you get there............

AnswerID: 610842

Reply By: Life Member - Talawana - Tuesday, May 09, 2017 at 17:08

Tuesday, May 09, 2017 at 17:08
Many thanks for taking the time to inform us all of this great news. It is pleasing that some councils see sense sometimes.

Cheers
Marion

Talawana
VKS Selcall 2691

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 610966

Sponsored Links