Talawana Track to Canning stock route and south to Durba Springs

Submitted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 12:20
ThreadID: 134873 Views:3852 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I am planning a trip to Rudall River (Karlamilyi) via the Talawana track.
I then plan to continue further east along the Talawana track to the Canning Stock Route intersection and then south along the Canning Stock Route to Durba Springs.
I will then return along the same route.

I am in a Toyota 200 series and will be towing a Kimberley Kamper accompanied with a friend in a similar rig.

I have been told that this section of the Canning Stock route ( Talawana Track intersection to Durba Springs is suitable for a camper trailer.

I am seeking further advice and or confirmation from other people who agree or otherwise that this is doable with a trailer and without too much drama.

Both drivers have considerable experience in 4x4 driving in both sandy and rocky terrain.

Thanks Craig

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 13:31

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 13:31
Craig, you won’t have any issues.

There are two tracks into Rudall from the Talawana and I’d recommend the eastern (main) track. The other is overgrown and has a few big holes in it.

The Talawana is pretty corrugated from the Parnngurr turnoff through to Georgia Bore but it’s nothing you won’t be able to handle by driving to the conditions.

It’s a mixed run down to Durba with a bit of sand, some rocky country and some woodland as well. Again nothing that will disturb you.

The road into Durba can be quite sandy and remember to pick up wood well before you get there as there is none in the camp site. Make sure you have your canning permit because the rangers frequent Durba and will ask for them. Firewood also applies for Georgia Bore. It’s highly overrated so we always try and avoid it as a camp area if we can. The dingoes are a nuisance there also so don’t leave things lying about camp.

The road through Rudall is also quite sandy in its first stretches from the Talawana but firms up once you hit the quartzite country about 8 km in. North of the Rudall River it again gets sandy closer to the DQB turn off. That 17 km in to DQB is rough and windy but an enjoyable one if taken easily.

My only advice to you is be mindful of your weight of both vehicle and trailer, particularly for the sandy stretches. I find the worst sandhills on the Canning are actually well north of your route commencing from Well 34 upwards.

Enjoy.

Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 611133

Follow Up By: Mick O - Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 13:38

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 13:38
P.S. You've probably already done your research but plenty of info on Rudall here.

Karlamilyi (Ridall River)

Safe travels

Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 881156

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 13:42

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 13:42
Hello

Not sure when you were last on the Talawana Mick but east of Parnngurr (Cotton Creek) turnoff is generally reasonably smooth these days as it receives some maintenance from a mining company working in the area....though may get a bit of a hammering in the "tourist" season. It was actually close on impassible earlier this year due to heavy rain and massive wash outs but has been fixed (last time I was there anyway - March 2017) - corrugations were not an issue then, at least up to ~14km east of Georgia Bore (I didn't go past this point).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 881157

Follow Up By: Mick O - Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 14:33

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 14:33
Thanks Greg. It's been a little over 12 months since last on that section. I presume that's the potash operation we were hearing about. It was still fairly rough for us up to Parnngurr but then it was the height of the travel season. Superhighway after Parrngurr.

Cheers
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 881159

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 15:41

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 15:41
I can concur that the first track into Rudall coming from the West is overgrown and impassable, we valued our vehicle too much to try and go forward much more, the Eastern entry was good and we kind of saw where the other track used to come in but it doesn't look used for many years.

cheers
FollowupID: 881161

Reply By: Craig M1 - Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 14:36

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 14:36
Thanks for that Mick, the info is much appreciated.
Cheers Craig
AnswerID: 611136

Reply By: Joe Fury - Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 18:15

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 18:15
G'day CraigM1
Well put together as always Mick O, the Karlamilyi aka Rudall River National Park is currently being flogged like an old donkey by the tourism council and all the special interest groups who feed of tourists, now that the resources sector has tightened the purse strings. This may lead to more solo travellers wandering the western desert regions and in all honesty I hope the region gets visitors that will appreciate the place for what it really is ~ utterly magnificent.

Possibly the only hurdle in coming years will be the visitor numbers, I've heard there might be restrictions at some point in the future, but right now it's all working reasonably well in respect to the permit system.

Craig M1, if you have a valid permit, good equipment and a non binding time frame you will have a brilliant experience ~ enjoy and learn.

Safe travels : Joe Fury
AnswerID: 611141

Reply By: Craig M1 - Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 18:50

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 18:50
Thanks Jo
I am getting more comfortable by the minute.
Cannot wait for the red pindan, spinafex and brilliant night skies.
Cheers Craig.
AnswerID: 611142

Sponsored Links