Our Daily Bread

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 14:00
ThreadID: 13489 Views:1878 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I see they are pushing this product in Woollies stores but the web site has some modifications for cooking in camp ovens. For those interested have a look at this site.

link Daily Bread
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 14:20

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 14:20
I like this product used in a breadmaker... it is truly superb bread. I will get some premix to take with me and try breadmaking in the Van oven.....There is nothing nicer or more refined than fresh dinner rolls with ones evening repast....I guess I could use some of SWMBO's shoes as rising bowls....
AnswerID: 61828

Reply By: joc45 - Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 21:56

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 21:56
Good info.
I used to make bread in the camp oven with just flour/yeast, but the end product had the weight of depleted uranium, and I could never work out why. I finally discovered commercial bread mix, and my whole world changed. Was even able to go to lighter springs in the wagon.
Pleasant baking....
Gerry
AnswerID: 61891

Reply By: Cina Troopy - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 08:58

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 08:58
Hi, I used to make a really great bread in a camp fire oven. It was a Sourdough Rye Bread.

You make the sourdough starter with
15g compressed yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 cups plain foour
Mix yeast & sugar, add lukewarm water and mix into flour, cover stand unrefrigerated for two days. You use 1/4 cup in the sourdough bread. Once this is prepared they say this starter will keep in good condition for two weeks.

For two loaves of bread the quantities are:
4 3/4 cups plain flour
4 cups rye flour
2 teaspoons salt
30g compressed yeast
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 cups lukewarm water
1/4 cup sourdough starter
30g caraway seeds
2 tablespoons oil.

You make it following any bread recipe. I dont think I need to type that all out.

Being the kind of cook I am, LOL, I would now try using the sourdough starter with a commercial bread mix, maybes it come in rye bread?? and adding the caraway seeds. The flavour of this bread is great and its also great toasted.

If your bread is not rising make sure you always first off mix the yeast with a teaspoonful of sugar, a tablespoon of flour and half a cup of warm water, put in a warm (not hot) place and within 10-15 minutes it should start bubbling. If this does not happen your yeast is probably past its use by date and the whole thing wont work. Also I find to get a really soft bread I throw in about a cup of skim milk powder with the flour.

[ View Image]

AnswerID: 62022

Sponsored Links