Chassis extension

Submitted: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 11:18
ThreadID: 134929 Views:5475 Replies:5 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

Need some help, please
Looking at buying dual cab with 500 chassis extension.
Its Qld rego & Im in NSW.
Mod is plated in Qld.

Any pros & cons would be very appreciated.

Kind regards
Jerry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 12:43

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 12:43
Some years back, I "lived" with a Landcruiser 105 series dual cab with a similar sized extension. It had a blue mod plate, and generally a good vehicle, and did the job we wanted, that is carry 6 staff safely, plus their gear. Don't know that I can help with your query though? Contact RMS in NSW and check with them? Would think you would need at least a roadworthy, or perhaps an engineer might need to cast his eye over it.

Assume your vehicle would have a centre bearing in the rear tail shaft, especially with that extension. I'd suggest you find out what that centre bearing is off, and either get a spare, or at least know the part number for same. Our vehicle seemed to average a shagged centre bearing every 12 months, so we soon found out the replacement part was off a Toyota Dyna truck, and could order accordingly.

Other than that we found it very practical, with only a few teething problems after delivery. Hope it works out for you,

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 611333

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 13:36

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 13:36
Only thing I would be worried about is the extra leverage any rear-loading can apply to the chassis i.e. bent chassis.
FollowupID: 881356

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 21:50

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 21:50
The extension is added between the axles Kazza, and reinforced accordingly. There should less risk of chassis bending, if the vehicle is loaded sensibly.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 881383

Follow Up By: Batt's - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 00:21

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 00:21
The centre bearing shouldn't be a problem if set up correctly and the right one is fitted my twin cab GQ 850mm ext has had the same one for 11 yrs without any problems.
FollowupID: 881388

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 07:07

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 07:07
That's what I thought too, Batt's, but this vehicle did have a hard life.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 881390

Follow Up By: gbc - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 11:25

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 11:25
Toyota (mainly hilux in my experience) centre bearing life span seems to be directly related to the amount of mud and crud they get in them. We also found out the hard way that Toyota genuine is much better than aftermarket in this case.
FollowupID: 881400

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 13:32

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 13:32
Hi Jerry

If your question relates to the legality and registration my understanding follows...

If you intend to register the vehicle in New South Wales you will need to have the modification signed off in NSW by an approved engineer. This might be as simple as a review of the paperwork and certificate of the modification issued in QLD, and a check over the pits.

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
AnswerID: 611334

Reply By: duck - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 14:16

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 14:16
Have had several
* If it’s a mod plate see if it’s ok in NSW with RMS
* Check its GVM etc. as you may find with the extension your weight carry capacity is low due to the weight of the extension
* check if you can insure it as a lot will not as there policy of repair/replacement parts
* 500mm is a lot extra in the tail shaft so check it well & as already stated check & see if there's a mid-bearing
* check that if the vehicle bottoms out on hump that the weight of vehicle is not on the tail shaft (had a extended landcrusier in the 80’s that I bent the shaft twice before changing it to a 2 piece shaft
* Due to most of the above problems I went for a 6 wheeler that has a 2nd manufactures plate & is legal in all states (had several over 20 years) & is a lot better than mod plate, with an increase of carry capacity but only a few would insure it
* My NEW Isuzu nps 300 4x4 that I purchased new in NSW but came with qld mod plate for the supper singles & suspension up grade was questioned at a weight station only days ago & I left still not knowing if it was legal in nsw (rms were going to check & get back to me 3 inspectors all had a different opinion’s)
good luck
AnswerID: 611336

Reply By: Batt's - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 00:28

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 00:28
Shouldn't be a problem transferring it if all mod plates are fitted correctly and the paper work was done and submitted by the previous owner.
AnswerID: 611354

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 22:06

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 22:06
Not so sure of that and I would check with RMS for clarification

I have had a GVM mod done on my landcruiser and I was advised that it would not be automatically recognised if I wanted to register it in another state and would need an engineer in that state to re-certify the modification
It might be a staight forward process though???
FollowupID: 881422

Follow Up By: Batt's - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 23:01

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 23:01
There was no mention about gvm up grade from Jerry I was basing it on ext only which usually requires no gvm increase unless requested by the owner. He would need all the relevant info on the vehicle to know what mods have been done and check it complies with nsw so yeah it should be straight forward if their happy with what's been done just time consuming getting it all together.

There may also be an increase in the rego cost compared to the standard vehicles tare weight depending if it's new tare weight has gone up to the next weight category then you get punished something else to look into. http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registration/fees/registration-costs.html
FollowupID: 881425

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 05:44

Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 05:44
Batts I know there was no mention of GVM upgrade I was just referring to a vehicle being modified and that the approval is not automatically recognised in another state so would double check
Funny thing about the rego costs, when I went to RMS to update my GVM particulars I was expecting to get hit up for a higher rego cost. I don't know what happened but somehow they told me I got a $2.00 credit. I didn't ask any questions just hot footed it out of there :)
FollowupID: 881426

Reply By: Jerry D - Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 10:05

Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 10:05
Thank you all for valuable comments.

RMS didnt give any clear answer, just advised that will need blue slip inspection & possibly new engineers certification & plate.

Cheers
Jerry
AnswerID: 611400

Follow Up By: Batt's - Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 11:09

Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 11:09
Just a money grabbing exercise if it does end up needing an engineer to certify it when it has been already approved as legal to drive on the road.

On another note maybe one day they might unite this country as one and not treat it as 8 individual countries just to simplify things.
FollowupID: 881435

Follow Up By: Gramps - Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 11:44

Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 11:44
Can't do that. It will reduce the snouts in the trough.

Regards
FollowupID: 881436

Follow Up By: duck - Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 12:29

Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 12:29
Jerry sorry to hear RMS answer as it makes it hard as you may not get an engineer to sign off on it in NSW, I have had this happen to me, had Qld Blue Plate but was not recognised in NSW & there use to be only X amount of RTA/RMS approved engineers in NSW & if they don't like it your left with a vehicle you can NOT rego in NSW Be care full
rules/laws change from state to state, last year bought a BMW motorbike from Victoria with Vic rego when I got it back here could not rego it as it had been a statuary wright off in QLD apparently you can in re rego in Victoria

Good luck
FollowupID: 881437

Sponsored Links