Keep CREB track OPEN

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 08:10
ThreadID: 13499 Views:2275 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
It seems the CREB track will close for ever. This icon of the far-north is presently closed and the official word is that it may be kept that way.

Help kep it open. The Australian National Four Wheel Drive Council maintains a list of tracks known as the ANFWDC Track Register, to keep a track open and to include it on the register it needs to satisfy certain criteria. I dont have the document with me now so I can't quote directly but the gist is. The track must satisfy one of four criteria

The track must be an icon of australian history.
The track terrain must be such that it is limited to 4WD vehicle only.
The track must have scenic values
and the fourth one I can't remember, perhaps someone else can.

Please, if you are in a 4WD club, get your commitee to write to ANFWDC an ask that this track be added to the register. If you are not in a club or you want to personally request the track remain open, then go to this website-

http://www.anfwdc.asn.au/exec.htm email the executive an let them know you want the CRB track included, and why ie it is an Australian icon, 4wd only. scenic value etc.

Lets keep this track open.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe - Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 11:56

Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 11:56
THanks David,
I have sent off an email, trusting it helps. Wombat showed that if we have numbers we have a chance of being heard, so I hope others aslo send of submissions.
Regards
Joe
AnswerID: 61928

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 12:29

Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 12:29
I a;so have sent email to president of ANFWDC, hope it helps
AnswerID: 61933

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 13:11

Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 13:11
I Lived in Carins back in 1983-4 and did the CREB track a coulpe of times once from N-S in the rain (3 Days of it) had to use chains on the rear.
Ran into a man who lived at Pole 98 CREB TRACK (that was he's address) and he reasored us and that if we did not make it he was coming to Cairns the next day and has a International Scout with duel rears and duel chains and would pull as through.
Does he still live there or does anyone still live on the track, how do they travel the track?
It is a very much a 4WD icon and I will put some thing together and e-mail it off,
I may even have some old photos and will be able to send as well.
Good luck

Regards
Richard Kovac
AnswerID: 61937

Follow Up By: David O - Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 17:00

Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 17:00
there are still properties on the track but access to the full length is not available. I beleive the track is a gazetted road though I can't find out for sure. If it is then it is likely that public pressure will require it to be open.

David
FollowupID: 323343

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 17:48

Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 17:48
Guys I suspect that closure of this track has been coming for some time. I doubt that it is a gazetted road as most of it is through private property - on the Daintree end is owned by the Reynolds family who have been pretty decent over the years is allowing access to all and sundry. The northern end I think is under the control of the Wujal Wujal community. The track was originally put through back in the mid to late 1960s by the then Cairns Regional Electricity Board (hence CREB Track) to put power through to Cooktown. I was an apprentice electrician in those days at the CREB's Mossman office and from my recollection (and I could be wrong) there was some tough negotiations to gain a right of way for the power lines. I hear that the power grid has now been rerouted from Mt Molloy via Lakeland Downs and the track is no longer required for maintenance of the power lines.
It will be a pity if it has to close though as there is some spectacular scenery through here. At the least I hope that we can still access Roaring Meg Falls - albeit I suspect that will be via the Wujal Wujal ranger and for a fee.
I would be very interested if some of the locals from up Mossman/Daintree way could give an update because I'm sure it would be the talk of the town if the track has been closed.
Cheers
Pete
AnswerID: 61953

Follow Up By: David O - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 07:47

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 07:47
Please bear in mind that if we get this track onto the register, it does not matter if it is currently closed or if it is on private property or not, it will be open to us.- and please discourage ill prepared people from using it.
FollowupID: 323405

Reply By: Joe - Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 19:16

Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 19:16
Found this on the net...

The CREB Track (Cairns Regional Electricity Board) leads from the Daintree River to Roaring Meg Falls and the Bloomfield River in far north Queensland. It is the route for the FNQEB to service power-lines to Cooktown. Many travellers do not realise that the first part of the track (driving north) passes through private property (CREB Track farm lot 181, 267 Upper Daintree Rd.). Up to 1997 the then owner, Lisa Goodsell, managed the use of the track.

A fee used to be charged because in past years Lisa had to arrange several rescues for stranded travellers who were ill prepared. Also fences have been cut, gates stolen, and cattle and horses have been left to wander north and across the Daintree because of gates being left open by the public. Cattle and employees have the right of way on private land.

This track should not be travelled in the wet season or at any time after heavy rain. It is advisable to phone locals first before setting off. The Daintree River can rise very quickly and travellers who need assistance should realise that locals who render assistance would appreciate some kind of remuneration. At one instance Lisa had to organise rescue helicopters and was left paying the bill of $1500! Note that no responsibility is taken for those using the CREB track.

7/97: Access regulations to the CREB Track, north of the Daintree River, have changed since Mr. Keith Reynolds has bought the property through with the CREB track passes. Travellers are requested to contact Mr Reynolds on 070-986-159 to inform him of your plans. No fees are charged at the moment. You are requested to leave the gates as found as cattle is using the property. The main gate on the Track is at the moment unlocked but as soon as some one does the wrong thing this might change. All travellers are urged to do the right thing and not spoil it for each other!

- Truus Biddlecombe, QAFWDC

AnswerID: 61964

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 19:47

Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 19:47
Yep I put my e'mail thru - believe possibly that it could be related to cultural issues. Why you might ask - when I went there you had to get permission from the Forestry / National Parks etc and as part of that this included the Aboriginal community section in the north. Whilst we did this and it rained and we had to turn around due to the slippery conditions. We met other travellers that did the trip and did not get the permit. Problems I see can arrive especially in the cultural side of things - if there is a death in the community - access then thru this area would be very disrespectful. Maybe this issue of access has arisen because of this. Rain is another big issue as the people I met got into big trouble and got stuck and had to be pulled out. Maybe controlled access is the way to go, so that the safety of visitors, cultural issues , environmental issues can be addressed. Maintain access though let it be controlled.
AnswerID: 61968

Reply By: Slammin - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:35

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:35
Have a look at http://www.dirtbikescairns.info/crebnews/crebnews.htm
AnswerID: 62162

Follow Up By: David O - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 08:06

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 08:06
Slammin, thanks for that. This highlights the need to have an organised an united effort to keep the track open. I encourage everyone to ask for the track to be placed on the register.
FollowupID: 323548

Sponsored Links