Tip run!

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 01, 2017 at 21:59
ThreadID: 134996 Views:2779 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.

I'm heading up to the tip of oz mid to late june and was wondering what the roads are like?

Where does the tar end and dirt start? Can I expect corrugations? Anything else I should know about?

I can either take a 2012 Holden Colorado or an 2003 f250 4x4, I'm leaning toward the Colorado for independent front end if the roads get rugged although I'd love to take the f truck but that live axle could be a headache on rough roads.

Any good free camps along the way? I was also considering taking a leaf sprung Castaway camper, aussie made and fairly rugged, would this be an option to the tip also?

Any help much appreciated, I don't get to travel much unfortunately due to running a small business, lots of stress!

Thanks in advance, Wayne.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - TonyV - Friday, Jun 02, 2017 at 09:14

Friday, Jun 02, 2017 at 09:14
Dirt starts at Laura.
From Laura to Weipa there is only 283 kms of dirt left.
The Telegraph track comes off of the PDR just north of the Lockhart turn off, this is mainly dirt with patches of tar.
Corrugations will be in various locations, the road is in a constant state of being graded, so some parts will be smooth some rough.
Any stock vehicle is capable of doing the PDR and Telegraph/Barmaga Road.
The 134 lms of the OTT is a different story.
Get Wiki Camps App for free camps, once you pass Laura the Road Houses provide camping for a fee ($10 or 11) the only 'free' camping will be just off the road in road gravel stacks. Coen has a free camp just north at the Bend.
As a small business man you will understand that the Road Houses rely on tourist to camp and keep them open.
The OTT has many places you can camp, with the exception of the NP's sites you can camp at any river crossing which is covered by the Jardine Ferry fee.
Camper will make it, but as with most things, tyre pressures, speed and your ability will determine the outcomes.
AnswerID: 611608

Follow Up By: Nutta - Friday, Jun 02, 2017 at 09:41

Friday, Jun 02, 2017 at 09:41
Thanks Tony for your comprehensive reply!

Good to hear theres only a few 100 k of dirt, I thought it might be a 1000!

We won't be venturing off into any of the old unmaintained tracks.

I have wiki so will have a look.

Any recommended tyre pressures?

Thanks again.
FollowupID: 881654

Reply By: uncle arthur - Friday, Jun 02, 2017 at 12:08

Friday, Jun 02, 2017 at 12:08
An excellent newsletter for Cape York is www.cape-york-australia.com.
Their current newsletter has excellent photos and description of road conditions. The newsletter comes out roughly every month.
AnswerID: 611614

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Friday, Jun 02, 2017 at 16:24

Friday, Jun 02, 2017 at 16:24
Agree mate. Kate has done a great job with this publication and the updates are most helpful..
FollowupID: 881661

Follow Up By: Nutta - Saturday, Jun 03, 2017 at 13:35

Saturday, Jun 03, 2017 at 13:35
Thank you, just what I need!
FollowupID: 881683

Sponsored Links