PDA/GPS

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 12:17
ThreadID: 13502 Views:2240 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all. Does anybody know what PDA's have a GPS function as well? Any information gratefully excepted? Thanks in advance.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jacs - Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 12:41

Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 12:41
see www.navman.com.au
AnswerID: 61934

Reply By: Lynn2 - Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 13:20

Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 13:20
Another good site . . . .
http://www.gpsoz.com.au/travroute_sleeve.htm
AnswerID: 61939

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 16:20

Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 16:20
Thanks for the replies.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 61942

Reply By: TravellingVegemite - Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 16:51

Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 16:51
I have a PDA with a Compact Flash (CF) GPS card. It worked out cheaper than getting a GPS unit with mapping built in, and it can also be used for other functions as well. Just get a PDA with Pocket PC operating system (windows mobile). The CF GPS card is about $150 on ebay. OziExplorerCE (including PC version) is available here on Exploroz for $166.

Just make sure you get a PDA with a compact flash slot and a Secure Digital slot, so you can use a GPS CF card and still have a memory card (SD) to store your maps. I have the Dell Axim X5, but there are others around that have both.

Roger
AnswerID: 61946

Reply By: Greg Harewood - Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 17:00

Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 17:00
John

You can turn most PDA's or PALM's into a GPS Mapping unit with appropriate GPS software, cords (to connect standard GPS), sleeves or add ons..(eg CF GPS)

Garmin are claiming the first PDA/PALM device to integrate GPS technology (see below from GPSOZ website) but it costs nearly twice as much as just buying ..for example a standard HP Ipaq 2210 PDA (~$499), a CF GPS (~$120) and OziExplorer(~$175)...though OziExplorer doesnt have the wizbang auto route planning/voice commands the iQue seems to have (with OziCE you can set it up to say "turn right" "turn left" etc but you need to manually put waypoints on every turn and create a route). Advantage of Ozi is you can use just about any map that you can convert into digital format...not sure about the Garmin.

Cheers
Greg

Garmin - iQue 3600 - ~$1449
includes preloaded 128MB SD card, auto mount, 12v charger, 240v charger, USB cradle, CityNavigator V5

The iQue 3600 is the first PDA to include integrated GPS technology. With the power of Palm OS? 5 and the dependability of Garmin? GPS technology, this "Super PDA" redefines multi-tasking. Integrated software not only allows you to look up appointments or contacts, but also locates and routes you to them with voice-guidance commands!

Powerful 200 MHz processor powering Palm OS 5
Integrated Que technology, with Garmin GPS and mapping software
Flip-up integrated GPS patch antenna can be positioned for optimal reception
Speaker for voice-guidance commands, MP3 player, and message playback
Voice recorder for making memos, quick notes, and messages on the fly
Rechargeable internal Lithium-ion battery (charges in cradle or while connected to adapter)
Built-in 32 MB of memory for downloading map data and other Palm OS-compatible software
New ARM processor enhances battery life, screen redraw, graphics, and audio
SD expansion slot for flexible memory storage and additional software
Unit size: 2.8"W x 5"H x .8"D (72 x 128 x 20.3 mm)
Display: 2.16" x 3.24" (54 x 81 mm), 320 x 480 pixel, high-resolution, color display
Applications: Astraware Game Pack*, powerOne Personal Calculator, Documents to Go by DataViz*, DataViz Mail*, Palm Reader, StarCaddy*, SplashWallet*, Vindigo*, and WorldMate
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 61948

Reply By: Member Eric - Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 19:43

Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 19:43
Might want to talk to member Nick , he is in the know at the moment
AnswerID: 61967

Follow Up By: Member - John - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 16:51

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 16:51
Eric, any address for member Nick? Thanks in advance.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 323436

Reply By: Nicholas from OctaPC - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 05:42

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 05:42
You can get a USB, Bluetooth and PCMCIA GPS, thus the choice is greater than you have been informed. Each have extras to alleviate most issues that each have got, so it is advisable to see which one has extras to compensate for problems like reception etc. No PDA on the market has a built-in GPS. The closest to a PDA is the PALM unit from Garmin. However it isn't windows O/S. Navman has a slip on and you don't need to buy from Navman, make sure you do your homework thoroughly.
AnswerID: 63697

Follow Up By: Member - John - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 05:58

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 05:58
Nicholas, sorry to correct you, but there are two units, actually the same unit, but different names, that have a built in GPS. The Navman PiN unit and the Mitac 168. They look good, but have not trialled one yet.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 324868

Reply By: Nicholas from OctaPC - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 09:39

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 09:39
Bugga me.... finally someone has produced a decent GPS for the PDA windows minded. Thanks for the update. I was aware of a sleeve version by Navman, thus they have taken on a concept that has been long overdue.
AnswerID: 63713

Reply By: Nicholas from OctaPC - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 10:12

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 10:12
Just a further note on this new PDA from Mitac, be aware that maybe an HP2215
would be a better option with a bluetooth GPS as then you have complete functionality and flexibility. Not only that but as the review below shows, the Mitac is not a performer and therefore, you may find it underperform. Magellan AU stop selling similar version of software due to it being heavy on the processor. Travroute has apparently not had the same problems, thus, you have additional option over the Navman/Mitac. My biggest concern is having the PDA in a position other than near the dash, at least with bluetooth GPS the bluetooth enabled PDA can be anywhere in the 4WD or Van. The review mentions certain issues which makes my comment reasonably legitimate. Check the benchmarks on the first link below.

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/mitac_mio_168.htm

The link below indicates an issue with limited bluetooth/wi-fi and one slot.

http://www.pdatoday.com/maximumpda_more/1544_0_2_0_C/

AnswerID: 63720

Sponsored Links