Blog Review: Kooka-No-Burra

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 11, 2017 at 12:16
ThreadID: 135057 Views:2227 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived

My Blog Rating: My Rating 5/5

Great blog Alan, what an adventure. It was very interesting following you as you travelled and trying to guess in which direction you would go next, and why you stopped when you did. Now reading your blog and following your track again it all makes sense. The bit about sending a plane to look for you if you did not return was a nice bit of drama. Most people would be aware that you have a Spot satellite tracking device and a satellite telephone which means if things go pear shaped you exact position is known and you would ring on your satphone to advise what help, if any, you require. These two items cost less than a thousand dollars and allow remote travel much more safely and without the risk of causing a search and rescue mission, at great expense to the taxpayer, any risk to would be rescuers, and much angst to family and friends. As I posted on Facebook, maybe next time.
Chris.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Sunday, Jun 11, 2017 at 14:48

Sunday, Jun 11, 2017 at 14:48
Thanks Chris,
Nice to see a different desert for a change (figuratively speaking).
Bit touch and go for a while, even was starting to plan to abandon the Fair Maid at one point but it ended up ok. (low oil light still wont go off - but engine seems ok).
I doubt it would have ever got to using the plane, however Netta was the boss so to speak; I always knew where I was and could have sat phoned out.

Last thing I want is to cause dramas to anyone, if it came to driving on the rims without tyres I would have done so.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 611822

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Sunday, Jun 11, 2017 at 15:34

Sunday, Jun 11, 2017 at 15:34
The most remembered adventures are the ones where not everything goes to plan and you have to keep a calm head and use your witts to get you out. You did not not have to resort to tying posts to your rims for traction, or catching a couple of camels for a tow, so not to bad. Besides I have yet to find a problem that a satphone and a credit card cannot solve.
Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 881884

Sponsored Links