Travel permit?

Submitted: Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 15:18
ThreadID: 135136 Views:3475 Replies:7 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, just wondering what the consequences are if your permit is a week out of date when heading to Perth from Uluru? If you organised it month or so in advance but got held up a few days.. just curious as to outcome.. is it a drama.. when we were at Yulara, there was an older couple in a panic about it, just interested cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 16:06

Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 16:06
Travelling over to the west.....your going back in time so you should be OK!....sorry.
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 612064

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 16:11

Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 16:11
Ha.. ha.. Wait Awhile... I've heard... surely, if you were honest, and did get a permit, but was a few days out, would they make a big deal out of it?
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 882124

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 17:20

Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 17:20
Tony!!!!! Go over there and stand in the corner. I'll tell you when you can come back.
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 882126

Reply By: Member - Howard P (WA) - Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 17:36

Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 17:36
Hi Odog

I have just received our travel permit for the GCR and point 3 on the permit states - If your travel plans have changed significantly, your travel dates may be adjusted by contacting the Permits Officer (08) 6551 8000 or 1300 651 077
Personally I wouldn't worry too much about a few days, or a week.
AnswerID: 612068

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 21:46

Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 21:46
Part of my new job in Kakadu is permits officer for Parks Australia, as Howard says if you need to change your dates ring up and ask.
I do my best to accommodate travellers in situation like this as best I can, however I am restricted by the amount of people in an area at one time, during the dry season as most places that need a permit are booked out well in advance.
I can if needed, get permission for an exemption from people higher up the ladder if people are really stranded.
Some of us permit officers are can do people.
FollowupID: 882129

Reply By: equinox - Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 17:40

Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 17:40
Just don't do it..
West of the border for 1000km there is a lawless anarchist land. This is not laid back south west qld. The Cops will laugh at your indiscretions.

You go through without a valid permit you will be roped up, your car stolen or burnt and your wife will be taken away. They may just leave you up the tree, or force you out into the bush to fend for yourself with the dingoes.

You have to play by the rules over this way - please, please don't travel on an out of date permit

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 612069

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 20:10

Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 20:10
Thanks equinox. Like I said, just interested to hear, don't know what the couple ended up doing.
Does sound like an interesting drive though, next time I drive to WA, would love to go this way.. thanks for the reply.. cheers Odog

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 882178

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 15:20

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 15:20
Thanks for that. I was worried something awful may happen if you didn't have a valid permit.
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 882215

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 23:13

Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 23:13
"Wife taken away"....that may be quite an enticing feature for some people!
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 882295

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2017 at 08:12

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2017 at 08:12
Quite possibly even appealing to some wives!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 882303

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 19:21

Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 19:21
We've just travelled for seven weeks on tracks in the west, requiring a total of six permits. At no point were we asked to show the permit, even when in company with local rangers.
However, so long as you have done the right thing and actually purchased all required permits and have them to show, I am sure that having to adjust your travel plans by a day or two would not cause any problems.
Enjoy your trip.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 612072

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 21:30

Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 21:30
No need to organise your W.A. permit a month ahead, most of the populated places in the NT have satisfactory internet connections - you apply online a few days before you reach the border, and you will have them in time.
The time between application and receipt of a transit permit is rarely longer than 48 hrs, and mostly within 24 hrs.

Personally, I think the 3 days maximum allowance for transit through the GCR is BS, but that's the way the W.A. bureaucrats in the Dept of Aboriginal Affairs operate.

Fortunately, when I went through the GCR, I was in a hurry, so the transit time limit wasn't of concern to me. If I was travelling in a relaxed manner, though, it would be nice to have a week to do the trip.

Further good advice is to take extra fuel and water above your requirements, because you are bound to run into Aboriginals who will hail you for supplies of both, such is their lack of planning ability.

One bloke in a Barina with a shredded tyre, stopped in the middle of the road West of Docker River, had no wheelbrace, no petrol, and no water - and it was 38 deg!
I gave him about 10 litres of Opal and I nearly ran short myself because of higher fuel consumption than planned, and a tight limit on the amount of extra fuel I'd carried.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 612083

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 19:18

Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 19:18
But that is a normal thing for GCR with the indigenous once upon a time they had bush mechanical skills - and fixed things not so sure now easier just to set it alight release the spirits.

I'd give them water but never fuel - and a good verbal dressing down and tell them wait i will advise authorities let them deal with them. Plenty still go walkabout and never return to community
FollowupID: 882174

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 22:55

Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 22:55
You can use a fax service (small fee to send and receive) from the Yulara Visitor Centre to the Ngaanyatjarra Office in Alice Springs to update or re-apply for your WA permit - allow one working day. With a three day window, organising when in Alice Springs a few weeks before was too much of a guessing game.

The permit from the CLC office in Alice Springs had a travel window of three weeks. We got one, then it looked like we would take longer to get to Yulara so got another, so had a span of six weeks.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 612090

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 12:16

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 12:16
Hi MH,

What is a "fax"? lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 882209

Reply By: Member - Odog - Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 20:16

Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 20:16
Thank you for all the replies, I don't know how this couple got on, but she was in a panic... sounds like it would be a great way to go, next time I head over to Perth.. thanks again.. cheers Odog

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 612123

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 10:50

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 10:50
One thiong I will say regards to permits - as its aligned to this.

Rail access permit for Pilbara, even if you have attended the safety inductions (read watched the video) and fill in form its strictly only valid for one month.

If it expires by one day then you have to re-sit the safety induction and re-apply,

Went through that process back in 2014 was at tom price sat induction, had bit of rain planned to go to millstream, turns out they were flooded out for a week, on return trip went back via millstream and as mine expired through whole induction again -admit 1/2 hour plus read few conditions max speed no overtaking headlight on etc. But when you know it and done it before gets bit repetitive
FollowupID: 882200

Follow Up By: Zippo - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 13:00

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 13:00
Odog, if you haven't done it then you will find it interesting I guess. It's a decent 2WD highway except the WA-DR bit (and oftentimes the 40km or so east of DR, although the last two times that bit was smooth as). We use it as a short-cut to "the rest of Australia" from the west, and vice-versa. Have done it in 1972?/2014/2015/2016 and will probably use it again, as I absolutely hate driving the Nullarboring (done that at least 8 times now, which is at least 7 times too many.).

Back on the matter of permits. Heading west you go through the Uluru park entrance station between Yulara and the Rock. Holding a valid transit permit they check your permit and send you on your way past the Rock, whereas "tourists" pay their park entrance fee. They actually take your permit and check it, so I don't know whether they would consider an out-of-date permit invalid or not. That aside, we have always had valid permits and have never been asked for them anywhere except as above.
FollowupID: 882211

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 23:04

Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 23:04
While off the original topic, regarding the Rio Tinto permit road, you can do the induction on line.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 882294

Sponsored Links