Canning stock route

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 20:03
ThreadID: 135154 Views:3562 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know if it's possible to have a caravan transported from one end of the canning stock route to the other, conventional roads, possibly on a trailer?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 20:28

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 20:28
No doubt it would be - but you'd pay the price :O. It recently cost us something like $1,000 to get a bulldozer trucked over what amounts to only a short distance and to return it (don't know exact cost yet). Our family provided the escort vehicle too.

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 612148

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 20:39

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 20:39
Be cheaper to drive back to the other end and pick it up
FollowupID: 882234

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 23:24

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 23:24
Hi Diane - Yes, it can be done, but there are some things to be considered.

It's not going to matter too much if it's transported on a truck, or a trailer, the cost will be about the same.

Overall height is the ruling factor, the maximum legal height allowed is 4.3M, and regular semi-trailers and the larger trucks have trays around 1.5M high, leaving 2.8M maximum height for the item being transported.
Over 4.3M, an overheight permit is needed, adding to the transport cost, and often meaning route restrictions.

You can get "drop-deck" trailers that have a lower deck area in the rearmost 2/3rd of the deck, and these can carry items that are higher, up to around 3.1M in height.

The loading and unloading of the van is the main problem area.
There are caravan transporters who specialise in caravan transport, and they generally use smaller (5-6 tonne) trucks and trailers with low-height decks and ramps, so they can winch caravans on and off.

However, a caravan loaded on a regular (1.5M high) flat-top semi-trailer, needs to be either loaded via a dedicated (fixed) truck-loading ramp - or loaded with a large forklift, fitted with fork extensions.
The number of large forklifts in transport yards that can load caravans, is not overly high, and you would be struggling to find one around Wiluna, or in Halls Creek.

This essentially means it would be necessary to find a satisfactory loading ramp in Wiluna, and in Halls Creek.
It's not impossible - most Shire Council yards generally have a loading ramp.
Getting permission to use the Shire Council loading ramp is another question altogether.

Caravans are basically not heavy, but they are bulky, and you pay for taking up room.
In essence, there are two measurements for transport - cubic and weight.
Rates are usually based on weight - but cubic measure is used if the item is light and bulky.

The rule of thumb is 333kg per cubic metre - so if you have a 'van that is say, 6M x 2.5M x 2.5M, this means it takes up 37.5 cubic metres - or the equivalent of 12.48 tonnes in weight (because a truckie could normally fit 12.48 tonnes on the trailer, in the room taken up by a 'van that size).
So you get charged for the equivalent of 12.48 tonnes, even though the 'van might only weigh 2.5 tonnes.

So there you have the main problems - a possible height issue, leading to a need for a drop-deck trailer - a loading/unloading method problem that is generally a sticking point - and the cost of transporting a load that is not heavy, but very bulky, and this means higher transport cost than a small, heavy item.

The distance from Wiluna to Halls Creek for a road truck is just under 2,300kms, and I'd estimate roughly, that you'd have to be looking at a minimum of around $3,000 to transport the 'van that distance, if the loading method and height obstacles could be overcome without any dramas.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 612152

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 00:32

Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 00:32
Travelling on Great Eastern Highway on a daily basis, I see semi trailers with brand new vans on them coming across from the eastern states and they are bigger than mine. My own trailer came from Queensland that way and was sent back for repair the same way. Cost was less then $1500. I use Openica Logistics.

Country truckies will always be looking for back loads (a load on what would be an empty trailer still pays the fuel bill and are often cheaper). If a truckie has an "ugly load" (a mixed load of lengths, heights and weights) they would appreciate something like a trailer as they are easier to load/unload. I used to get my LC ute bought down to Perth from Paraburdoo when I lived up their $100 each way (less than the fuel).

Loading and unloading isn't an issue - they call them loading ramps and are all over the outback - in fact all country and remote towns have one some where. You just hope the driver is careful - just don't watch "Outback Truckers" (although most of that is a put up show)

There are also companies who will just tow your trailer. The Tow truck driver across the road is often contracted to shift road construction/exploration camps etc on a regular basis.They do it with tilt trays with one van and then tow another. They are based in Midvale WA.


FollowupID: 882250

Reply By: rocco2010 - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 23:44

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 23:44
Anything is possible, some things are more difficult than others. Wiluna and Halls Creek are not exactly on a direct freight route.

What you need maybe are some grey nomads or the like who fancy a free holiday towing a caravan through the Pilbara and Kimberly while you take the hard road. Sort of mobile house sitting.

That could be me ...

Seriously though, that could be a possibility but I imagine references, insurance issues and stuff like that might make it impractical.

Good luck with it.

AnswerID: 612153

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 00:50

Monday, Jun 26, 2017 at 00:50
Most sensible suggestion of all, and certainly the cheapest option - provided you engage someone with adequate caravan towing skills, and ensure that it's covered by insurance.

You can get transit insurance for a reasonable sum from insurance brokers who specialise in that area, if the caravan owners insurance doesn't cover towing by another person.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 882251

Sponsored Links