W.A. Govt Depts - name changes

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 04, 2017 at 00:28
ThreadID: 135199 Views:2791 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all! - Just a heads up that the new Labor Govt in W.A. has taken a machete to the public servants and Depts in W.A., from the 1st of July - so you'll probably be puzzled to find a lot of new names for Govt Depts.

The State Govt has reduced the number of Depts from 41 to 25 via amalgamation and abolition.

The one of most interest to travellers on this forum is the former Dept of Parks and Wildlife.

This Dept now becomes "The Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions" (a mouthful if ever there was one).

Parks and Wildlife have been rolled into this mega-dept, but you will still find the DPAW website address in operation for the immediate future.

I'm not sure what the eventual savings will be (never as much as they initially quote) - or what it will mean to us, as users of those Depts, as many cost-cutting measures are introduced (well, something has to be done about the States mind-boggling $40B-and-increasing, debt level!)

No doubt there will be a lot of changes, all designed to provide less for more, as per normal. We'll just have to suck it and see.

"Overview of Public Sector Renewal" link in the site below gives a good outline of the merged and abolished Govt Depts.

W.A. Govt - Public Sector Renewal - Media Statement

Cheers, Ron.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Jul 04, 2017 at 08:56

Tuesday, Jul 04, 2017 at 08:56
I see that the Dept of Aboriginal Affairs it rolled up into Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage. Good to know as many of us apply for permits through the DAA website each year.

Dept. of Aboriginal Affairs - WA

Cheers
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 612320

Reply By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Jul 04, 2017 at 09:12

Tuesday, Jul 04, 2017 at 09:12
Normal behaviour for our state government. It happens virtually every time there's a change.
Plenty of huffing and puffing by the blow hards and nothing will actually change for the better. They talk about cutting the number of CEOs etc. from the PS but what they do normally is hide them in some obscure office of something or other. The lower expendable levels are given new jobs where it's difficult for them to get to as this makes them get sick of travelling and resign.
Upper levels are quite often brought back later to head up some other useless dept.
Remember the Office of Shared Services? That fiasco from the last Liebour Gov. cost the taxpayer nearly 500 million and did absolutely nothing for the efficiency of the education and training sector.
40 billion dollar debt? You ain't seen nothing yet.
AlanH.
AnswerID: 612321

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Jul 04, 2017 at 09:24

Tuesday, Jul 04, 2017 at 09:24
Alan - Yep, can't help but agree. Termination payouts for the senior public servants are running into eye-watering figures that look like Lotto wins - yet, in multiple cases, these people are rehired within 12 months in some form or another - either as "consultants" at eye-watering rates, or as heads of some new "vital" Govt dept.

Trains will be the next endless expenditure item for this W.A. Govt, those new lines and trains will run way over budget, over the next few years, and it will be a "gravy" train for many.

Fortunately, the Federal Govt, by way of grants for projects, ensures that highways are constantly improved, and we're seeing this in an increased number of passing lanes, and the current straightening and re-aligning, of a number of major highways in W.A.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 882557

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Jul 04, 2017 at 09:30

Tuesday, Jul 04, 2017 at 09:30
Every new state gov. used to change the name and colour of the buses and be satisfied with that.......
AlanTH.
FollowupID: 882558

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Jul 04, 2017 at 09:41

Tuesday, Jul 04, 2017 at 09:41
Road improvements. Now there's a chance of real saving and better design of roads, sack most of the MR designers, or at least those involved with roads in and through Perth, as they really aren't very good.
They recently spouted that a change was afoot and they were going to make more use of roundabouts instead of traffic signals.
This inspirational thinking comes about 60 years after Britain and Europe designed roads without these constant obstructions to free flowing traffic.
Fly in the ointment with this "new thinking" though is local councils who'll still insist on putting lights close to roundabouts, which disrupts the traffic flow and causes many problems when large blocks of cars all converge on the roundabout at the same time.
This they say is because "commercial interests pay for them" as this allows a bit of extra impulse buying ..... they should have no say at all on road design. Shopping centres should be designed with access utilising the roundabout system, not pandering to the commercial interests who have nothing but their bank accounts in mind.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 882560

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Jul 04, 2017 at 15:55

Tuesday, Jul 04, 2017 at 15:55
Urgh! More urls will change without proper redirects so the most apparent implication of this to me right now is trying to update hard coded links :( LOL Typical Govt departments never think of that.
If any of you have some time and are willing to help - please look through the various pages in our Trek Notes, & Permit Articles etc and test all the links - if you find any broken can you send me an email to advise what page title, what link, and what the new link should be and I"ll fix asap. thank you in advance.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 612327

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 16:35

Wednesday, Jul 05, 2017 at 16:35
It changes are minimal stuff but do know what your referrign to.

Its all the vehicles uniforms and equipment that need to have logos changed that is the costly exercise. I remember back 1999-2000 I was doign my cert 3 environmental practices (developed to allow employment in DPAW or environmental field). as part spent a few weeeks doing reductions burns NP maintenance etc

This was when what was known as CALM become DPAW & FPC due to sensitive nature of having one Dept responsible for both land management and forestry - some nicked named it Cut And Log Machinery (CALM) due to the Logging aspect.

The CALMfire section were told no more uniforms etc in fact no livery was to be changed to save costs as result of the dept split up until new equipment was made available, in past they had new logos made and sewn over old ones -this took a number of years to change over and now we back to step one

FYI as much as I would love to work for DPAW basically impossible to get into any government agency these days and my cert 3 and nearly completed diploma are null void due to "national competency" standards

FollowupID: 882587

Reply By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Jul 04, 2017 at 18:31

Tuesday, Jul 04, 2017 at 18:31
Heard on the radio this morning that 18 "senior executives" had resigned from the PS.
The payout to get rid of them only cost the taxpayer 5 million. Apparently another 21 are lined up to receive their reward for their devoted service to the public.... :-))
AlanTH.
AnswerID: 612332

Reply By: The Bantam - Thursday, Jul 13, 2017 at 14:09

Thursday, Jul 13, 2017 at 14:09
All these stories are true, just the names have been changed to protect the guilty.
AnswerID: 612481

Sponsored Links