Submitted: Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 09:19
ThreadID: 135252 Views:8370 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
My Pajero goes into limp mode intermittently
It does not matter if the car is towing or just general driving

The ASC warning light comes on and then limp mode
It occurs during good driving conditions on tar road

Sometimes the engine management warning light comes on
When this happens the code P1060 (MAP sensor) is displayed.
I purchased a OBD11 meter that displays codes

I have had the EGR valve and associated pipework cleaned
I have had the MAP and MAF sensors cleaned

I cannot understand why the ASC sensor activates whilst driving on good conditions

Can anyone help
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pmk03 - Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 09:44

Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 09:44
Now you know the codes & have cleaned the problem area - check all the plug/connections
The ASC Light coming on might be indicating another fault, not a problem with the ASC. they have all sorts of flashing lights that come on for different probelms. I would think the fault on the OBDII reader is the real problem.
Can you clear the fault with the reader ?
If all else fails disconnect the battery for a while. My 2010 always seems to run better after a "reset"although I have never gone int limp mode.
I have had the 4WD indicators flash at times & it was caused by water in the Map sensor plug after steam cleaning the engine bay.
Also you might find answers on the Pajero Forum. There a pretty good mob
AnswerID: 612501

Follow Up By: William P - Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 10:07

Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 10:07
If you have a new MAP sensor code then that is where to start. You say you have cleaned it but it may be damaged - I do not know what your sensor is like but in mine it easily damaged by trying to clean the little hole in it.

The code is where you start.
FollowupID: 882745

Follow Up By: Colin C6 - Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 14:43

Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 14:43
Thanks for your advice
Yes I can and have cleared the fault
I will go to the Pajero site
FollowupID: 882753

Reply By: RMD - Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 22:38

Friday, Jul 14, 2017 at 22:38
The ASC is the Active Stability Control. Why would people be talking about the MAP sensor in the engine????? when the ASC is associated with wheel sensors.
EGR, MAP and MAF have nothing to do with the ASC at all.

Most likely a wire to a wheel sensor is fractured and intermittently disconnects causing the issue. Could also be the plug connection for a wheel speed sensor. Any anomaly there will ensure a code as it is a primary safety item. Sometimes the coils in the wheel sensors develop a break and it is causing the problem. Usually that happens after the area gets a bit warmer or cooler.

I think it is the lack of ASC sensor rather than a sensor activating. Those sensors are activating all their life to tell the ECU and stability control what is the current state of wheel rotation on a constant basis. Any loss of wheel speed rotation signal and the ASC light comes ON.
AnswerID: 612523

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Saturday, Jul 15, 2017 at 17:15

Saturday, Jul 15, 2017 at 17:15
ABS sensor unplugged or damaged will cause ASC issues

and I concur MAP/MAF has nothing to do with ABS/ASC
FollowupID: 882784

Follow Up By: pmk03 - Monday, Jul 17, 2017 at 10:04

Monday, Jul 17, 2017 at 10:04
Nobody said the ASC light has anything to do with the MAP sensor.
I did say the ASC light would be indication of a different problem.
I also agree the ASC has nothing to do with the Map / Maf
These vehicles do have strange ways of indicating a faults with flashing lights on the dash. be it ASC light or 4WD indicator lights etc.
I know I have one.
But the best way to find a fault is with the OBII reader
Cheers Paul.
FollowupID: 882826

Reply By: jeffl - Sunday, Jul 16, 2017 at 07:54

Sunday, Jul 16, 2017 at 07:54
Had a 3 L Patrol start pulling up maf code, pump timing code and a few other random ones, going into limp most times, yet other times only showing check engine light no limp mode.

Tuned out to be one of the small earth wires on the intake manifold not making good enough contact. Doesn't seem to take much.

Shined them all up with medium sandpaper, never a problem since.

Hope this is of some help.

Jeff
AnswerID: 612542

Reply By: Colin C6 - Sunday, Jul 16, 2017 at 15:06

Sunday, Jul 16, 2017 at 15:06
Excellent feedback on the ASC.
Of course it must be continually monitoring
I will check all connections etc and will also look for a faulty earth connection
Thanks
AnswerID: 612550

Follow Up By: William P - Sunday, Jul 16, 2017 at 15:27

Sunday, Jul 16, 2017 at 15:27
It would seem you have two concurrent but apparently unrelated issues. The codes definitely show a EGR issue and the ASC light showing something related to the brakes - would not this also through up a code though.

Good luck with it.
FollowupID: 882804

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Jul 18, 2017 at 15:51

Tuesday, Jul 18, 2017 at 15:51
Most people put a 4.7kohm resistor in line and delete the egr all together. The Pajero forum is brilliant and someone will have the answer. Better off hearing from owners with real life experiences and solutions.
AnswerID: 612593

Reply By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 18, 2017 at 16:47

Tuesday, Jul 18, 2017 at 16:47
Bit difficult to determine if the ASC is the issue or engine management but if ASC puts it into limp mode I would be looking at the tyres to see if one is worn more than the others.
Regards Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 612597

Sponsored Links