Donkeys with 4WD's on Cable Beach

Submitted: Friday, Jul 28, 2017 at 20:58
ThreadID: 135312 Views:6660 Replies:14 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I just had an entertaining couple of hours around midday, watching a bloke nearly lose his Troopy, by trying to drive along the higher section of the beach sand, at Cable Beach, as the tide was coming in.

In the last 3 days, I've seen several blokes in trouble on Cable Beach - some of them with hired campers.
They drive in as the tide is rising - they try to drive along the sloping, higher-level soft sand section of the beach - they don't deflate their tyres - and they are generally, loaded to the hilt.

The bloke today was a Victorian with a fully-set-up Troopy camper, and he drove in as the tide was around 7.5 metres and rising fast (todays tide was just over 9 metres, a little less than the 9.63M Spring tide of Tuesday).

This bloke had fully inflated tyres - after he drove along just above the water line, he tried to drive up the steep face of the soft sand section, and he bogged it in.

Then came increasing panic. He let the tyres down and several blokes nearby produced their Maxtrax and he had another go at trying to drive straight forward without any attempt to back up a bit.
The result was pretty predictable, he buried the RHF and LHR wheels, as he developed maximum axle twist, and both those wheels ended up spinning uselessly in the giant holes they'd made.

Then, to add further to the misery and panic, he lost a valve from the RHF wheel and the tyre ended up completely deflated.
Several blokes waded in with shovels and dug half of Cable Beach out from under and behind the Troopy, and chocked it with Maxtrax and other assorted tread assistance, while the bloke found a new valve and produced a compressor, and re-inflated the RHF tyre.

Then a local hero offered his superior skills, to drive the Troopy, which the owner apparently agreed to (no doubt in pure desperation).
The tide was advancing rapidly and was getting closer to the rear of the Troopy! (the entertainment was better than watching Days of Our Lives, and more seat-gripping!).

The local hero, to my surprise - and doing the worst thing I would have imagined one could do - gunned the Troopy back down the beach to the waterline! (I would have only backed up a bit, and then gunned it up the slope, which I think would have worked).

Then, when the local hero tried to go forward, straight up the beach, to gather some speed, the Troopy bogged in again!! Horror!! A big wave washed over the wheels!!
Blokes rushed forward as the waves receded for a minute - they shoved Maxtrax under all round, and the local hero gunned it again, big time!
The Troopy leapt over the Maxtrax, and he kept going, on up the wave line!

He gained enough speed to aim it for a low spot in the higher sand level, right near us, and he churned his way up to the higher ground, out of reach of the high tide level! Hurray for the local hero!!

We left then, to go get lunch. We were on foot, I might add - we won't take a vehicle on Cable Beach unless we can drive on a reasonable width of the lower, flatter, firmer sand section.
And we certainly don't try to beat the tide around the Rocks, as many seem to be doing at present (both into the beach, and out).

There's a lot of 4WD's here that have been well soaked in salt water in recent days, splashing in and out as they try to beat the tide.
I guess the owners don't plan to hang onto them for long, and I bet they advertise them as, "one-owner, well-cared-for vehicle"!!

Cheers, Ron.
Back Expand Un-Read 7 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Jul 29, 2017 at 09:31

Saturday, Jul 29, 2017 at 09:31
Not just Broome.
Hours of entertainment here
Here is a goodie

I'd never buy a second hand 4wd from Queensland.
AnswerID: 612747

Reply By: AlanTH - Saturday, Jul 29, 2017 at 09:36

Saturday, Jul 29, 2017 at 09:36
I'm the same as you Ron and stay off that beach when very high tides are expected. Driving along the upper bit of the beach is also a good way of getting vehicles banned from there as well but the idiots can't read and don't listen.
Not quite as nice a story as yours but we were there some years back watching camels wander past when a local hero roared along in his ute with his "mate" hanging out the nearside window..... dog sees camels and jumps out and attacks the rearmost beast.
Camel nearly took off with legs going everywhere trying to kick this rat of a dog and both passengers fell off!
Little boy and his Gran hit the beach hard. Boy OK but frightened of course, Gran had a very badly twisted neck and shoulder and got taken to hospital.
Hero continued at speed up the beach with rat dog chasing him. 2 blokes jumped in their vehicles and chased him and got him to come back...reluctantly. Much angry muttering going on as names were taken by a ranger for witnesses.
I forget the ending but I had to fax a sworn statement to the court in Broome from Perth and he was convicted of ?.... I can't remember what.
Certainly some idiots out there.
AlanTH.
AnswerID: 612748

Reply By: duck - Saturday, Jul 29, 2017 at 10:53

Saturday, Jul 29, 2017 at 10:53
do it wright & cable beach is properly the easiest beach to drive on in Aust & the most used well the 1st 2klms anyway, but so many push the limit or just do not have any idear, we were parked on the beach last july (at low tide) & had a German tourist in a hire troopy ran into our 4x4 & 3 others parked, yet there would have been 100mtrs on all sides of us to go round. lucky no one was injured
AnswerID: 612749

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Jul 29, 2017 at 11:15

Saturday, Jul 29, 2017 at 11:15
While we were watching yesterdays drama, a couple of young tourists in a hired Troopy hi-top camper came barrelling along the steeply-sloped section of the soft sand, right towards the bogged Troopy.
This hire Troopy had standard skinny 7.50x16 tyres, it was current-model V8 with the narrow rear axle, and I wasn't sure whether he was either going to roll it first, or get it bogged, first!
The angle it was leaning at, reminded me of early Landrover station wagons on a slope! Those things are just a disaster looking for a place to happen.

Fortunately he stopped and lowered his tyre pressures - but then he gunned it straight past the high side of the bogged Troopy, within a couple of metres of all the blokes working on it.

It would have only taken a bit of extra drag on the low side, for him to lose precise directional control, and plough into the bogged Troopy.

Meantimes, there were plenty of others ploughing past at speed on the low side, running on the steep slope and swerving all over the place.

I can't understand the mentality of these people, they had lost any chance of getting off the beach, and there was nowhere they could go, but up to the rocks and wait for the tide to go down.

Another annoying part of Cable beach is the number of 4WD'ers who think its a racetrack.
The speed is clearly posted at 15kmh, people are lying down and walking back and forth everywhere (saw one girl nearly walk straight in front of a speeding 4WD, totally oblivious to moving vehicles) - and yet some of these clowns seem to think it's O.K. to roar up and down the beach at 50-60kmh.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 612750

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Jul 29, 2017 at 12:56

Saturday, Jul 29, 2017 at 12:56
Early Land Rovers could run across a 45 degree slope!

FollowupID: 883118

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, Jul 29, 2017 at 13:29

Saturday, Jul 29, 2017 at 13:29
Shaker, that might be true of the Series 1, SWB, soft-top Land Rover - but I've got an original '79 model Series III, diesel, LWB Landrover Stn Wgn - and I wouldn't dare take it over 30 degrees side slope!

I just keep the old LR around, to remind me how good my Toyotas are! - and how far engineering and driveability advances have come in the last 40 years! [;-)

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 883119

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Jul 29, 2017 at 23:42

Saturday, Jul 29, 2017 at 23:42
It was true right up to the introduction of the Puma engine, the factory recommended maximum was then reduced from 45 to 35 degrees due to higher centre of gravity. Recommended maximum angles are with no roof load & standard suspension.

FollowupID: 883128

Reply By: Gronk - Saturday, Jul 29, 2017 at 11:28

Saturday, Jul 29, 2017 at 11:28
When I 1st started to read the story I was expecting it to end with the Troopy being snatched out with a donkey ??? LOL
AnswerID: 612751

Reply By: rumpig - Saturday, Jul 29, 2017 at 13:47

Saturday, Jul 29, 2017 at 13:47
Your story sounds like it could be written about any beach that 4wd's have access to in Australia...there's many a 4wd'er out there with all the gear but no idea. Saw quite a few vehicles getting saltwater baths whilst on Fraser Island recently, even though there was a short bypass track at Yidney Rocks where we were staying.....numerous vehicles each day went over the rocks and through salt water rather then do a 2 minute drive on an inland track.
AnswerID: 612754

Follow Up By: Gronk - Saturday, Jul 29, 2017 at 14:25

Saturday, Jul 29, 2017 at 14:25
Yep, it's as if you HAVE to drive thru the salt water if you go to Fraser ??
If it was a 3 yr lease vehicle maybe, but not my own 4wd !!
FollowupID: 883122

Reply By: Member - Diamondaze - Sunday, Jul 30, 2017 at 19:56

Sunday, Jul 30, 2017 at 19:56
Great read. Thanks.
AnswerID: 612762

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Jul 30, 2017 at 23:36

Sunday, Jul 30, 2017 at 23:36
One of the locals near Inskip has put up a very popular facebook page.

"I got Bogged at Inskip Point".

If this sort of thing amuses you, there is an endless string of vids and pics showing how not to do it.

Maybee there should be a Cable Beach page

Cheers
AnswerID: 612765

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Jul 31, 2017 at 00:26

Monday, Jul 31, 2017 at 00:26
What I find amusing is how these blokes spend thousands on their 4WD's, setting them up with every possible accessory - then they drive thoughtlessly along a steeply-sloping beach full of soft sand, just above the waterline - on a rapidly advancing tide that varies up to 9M at Broome - without even taking the slightest preparation by planning ahead, knowing the tide times and heights, and letting their tyres down!!

This bloke had a really professional integral pop-top camper setup on his Troopy - he had about every accessory any 4WD'er would ever need - apart from Maxtrax and winch - and the Troopy would have been worth big $$$'s.
Yet he risked dunking his valuable vehicle in the rapidly advancing ocean just through completely thoughtless driving!

Obviously he never ever planned to get bogged - or he would have invested in some Maxtrax and a winch, to top off his impressive range of accessories!

What I found even more amazing was - this bloke wasn't 20 yrs old - in which case you could forgive him for youthful bravado and a lack of experience - this bloke was in his mid-50's!
You'd think, by his age, he'd have gained a better ability to judge important decisions, that could have a very expensive outcome, if they went wrong!

I mean to say, I've been guilty of getting horribly bogged on more than one occasion - when I was much younger, and full of excessive enthusiasm. At least a couple of those boggings resulted in a fair bit of walking, and very late meals - all hard lessons, well learnt.
But I have always been very, very wary of beach bogging, and the possibility of tidal immersion before one can get out.
A lot of beach sand is treacherous, but it seems quite a number of people like to see just how treacherous it is, by driving onto it, unprepared!

I can only put this episode down to the fact, that the gent probably has little 4WD experience, and even less beach-driving experience.
He might have only recently come into the 4WD scene and indulged in 4WD expenditure with enthusiasm - but you'd at least think, if he has the money he appeared to have, he'd at least have invested in the odd 4WD'ing course, along with getting a bit of professional 4WD driving advice!

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 612766

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Monday, Jul 31, 2017 at 05:45

Monday, Jul 31, 2017 at 05:45
Yeah, people spend thousands on accessories and nothing on training. I can only assume that they think it'll be enough to select 4WD or low range.

Robe is also a place to see fools. They drive straight past the signs put up by Parks to air down and then get stuck on the beach.
FollowupID: 883134

Reply By: braincell - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 16:30

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 16:30
it will only get worse in the years to come
I'm afraid viewer's .
AnswerID: 612794

Reply By: Dean K3 - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 21:29

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 21:29
surprising how many sit on southern side (near light house) right up near the waves then tide comes in whilst they watching sunset whilst having a few bubbles. The deck chairs topple over as people have sensation of wet feet and opps we better move a bit

watched one bloke nearly drown his rodeo just sheer luck people assisted push him inland whilst the boat and trailer floated swinging madly.

Not sure why a hire camper would be on the beach they obviously didn't read the limitations if they had become unstuck be a expensive excess involved
AnswerID: 612799

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 22:15

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2017 at 22:15
That's one thing that gets me, too. Anytime I've hired a car in Broome (which is probably around 20 or 25 times), the T's & C's of hire, state categorically in big red print - NO BEACH DRIVING.

That's usually followed by threats to confiscate every asset you own, if you're caught, or seen, driving on any beach.
Yet, over the last 3 1/2 weeks I've been here, I reckon I've seen at least 6 or 8 hire vehicles a day, gaily being driven all over the beach, and through salt water.

One bloke this morning with a Mitsubishi ASX from Broome-Broome hire was happily doing circles in the salt water on the edge of the waterline - which I thought was pretty poor treatment of the vehicle.
However, a check just now of the BB hire FAQ's says they allow beach driving with their ASX's!

Remind me not to buy any used Mitsubishi ASX's that are ex-Broome-Broome hire!

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 883173

Reply By: Malcom M - Friday, Aug 04, 2017 at 14:15

Friday, Aug 04, 2017 at 14:15
From your title, I was expecting a recovery story involving Donkeys.
Disappointed ...
AnswerID: 612852

Reply By: Member - Robyn R4 - Friday, Aug 04, 2017 at 21:30

Friday, Aug 04, 2017 at 21:30
A very entertaining rendition!
When I sat at Cable Beach with my dad we were just entertained by camels and a few more intelligent 4WDs and a handful of people walking along the sand.
I will definitely have to go back one day and see if I'm treated to an afternoon like yours!

Robyn :)
AnswerID: 612862

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Aug 13, 2017 at 22:52

Sunday, Aug 13, 2017 at 22:52
Well, I have been anticipating this was going to happen before too long - and it looks like my premonition was pretty spot on.

Sleeping woman run over by 4WD on Cable Beach

I trust this doesn't impact on everyone with a 4WD - but I'll wager it will.
I can see the authorities cracking down on 4WD's on Cable beach, and as always, it will be the ones who behave, who have to pay for the idiots behaviour.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 613044

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 12:27

Monday, Aug 14, 2017 at 12:27
Unbelievable traffic!!

Last time I was there 8 years ago there were maybe four or five vehicles on the beach at any one time. Now look at it!

I agree, Ron, I think the end is in sight.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 883440

Sponsored Links