Polishing a fibreglass boat

Submitted: Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 14:04
ThreadID: 13532 Views:6711 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Any one got any you beaut super polish secrets for fibreglass boats or will the car polish be fine.

I've had a look down one side with some Merguirs but not sure how long it will last by comparison to any purpose built polishes for fibreglass [if such a thing exists].

Noone in town here seems to think that there is a fibreglass specific polish but I figure there would have to be.

Any ideas?

Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Moneypit - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 14:07

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 14:07
Should have done the Google thing before I asked. Heaps of polishes for fibreglass just can't get it here today!!

Nonetheless will the car polish be OK or not??

Dave
AnswerID: 62059

Reply By: TD6 - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 15:55

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 15:55
Moneypit,

The best way I've found is to buff the boat back with Mr. Buff and then seal the gelcoat with a product called Solvex. Solvex used to be only available through the detailing trade but is generally available now. I use this stuff on both the cars and boats and it lasts a lot longer then conventional products.

Over the years I've tried many car and fiberglass polishes but they all seem to wash off particularly in salt water. I was pointed in this direction by a commercial boat builder and haven't looked back.

AnswerID: 62077

Sponsored Links