Kidson Track - Nyangumarta Highway - Permit System introduced

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 03, 2017 at 20:00
ThreadID: 135336 Views:2432 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
FYI came across this one today

Kidson Track - Nyangumarta Highway - Permit System
Four Wheel Drive Australia, on behalf of the Nyangumarta Warrarn Aboriginal Corporation, is now issuing permits for travel through the Nyangumarta native title lands along what was formally called the Kidson Track/Wapet Track – now renamed as the Nyangumarta Highway.

The Permits allows access through these native title lands for tourism related activities.

The permit fee for this is $55 including GST for each vehicle and associated trailer.

Revenue from these fees covers the administration of the permit system and protection of environmental, cultural and heritage values of the Nyangumarta Native Title Lands on behalf of the Traditional Owners.

For more details and to obtain your Permit go to: www.anfwdc.asn.au/kidson_track.php.
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Timnivo - Friday, Aug 04, 2017 at 11:23

Friday, Aug 04, 2017 at 11:23
I came down the Kidson from 80 mile beach 3 weeks ago (with permit). Where the mining exploration crew regraded the road (as far as the Gwenneth Lakes turnoff) the going is quite good. One long washed out section (that may have had a graded bypass that I missed) has a bypass next to it like the old days. The dune crossings have some pretty nasty washouts already and on BOTH sides. A shovel and mattock may be required for a bit of road building after the next cyclone season.
The 120 odd km from the Gwenneth Lakes turnoff to the Punmu/Kunawaritji road has had NO MAINTENANCE at all. It is quite severely overgrown and fairly corrugated. It took me 6 or 7 hours to do this section with mirrors in and snorkel head turned around. If you love your car to have nice shiny duco this is not a track for you. Similarly it is not a track for wide trailers/awnings and anything that might get caught in the shrubbery!!
It is passable with care and I didn't see a soul for the entire distance which is just fine by me!! Timnivo.

AnswerID: 612850

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Friday, Aug 04, 2017 at 17:56

Friday, Aug 04, 2017 at 17:56
So from what your saying the term "highway" is a bit misleading reckon a few pics taken of "track" or should that be "goat track" be sent to association responsible suggesting their description of highway is totally wrong with necessary warning in place.

Just saying
FollowupID: 883221

Sponsored Links