Wheel Alignment

Submitted: Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 15:55
ThreadID: 13536 Views:1494 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Nissan GU 3.0L Series 3 and when polishing it over the weekend I noticed that the front wheels are wearing unevenly at the front on the left side for the passengers and right side for the drivers side. I'm guessing a wheel alignment will solve the problem.

I have been told that you can not get a 4WD properly aligned at a normal tyre place. Seems a bit strange to me but I know stuff all about the skills and equpment required. I have very limited access to tyre places up here and so I know that I'm not getting ripped off can anyone tell me whether they should be able to do the job or not?

If not a normal place, where?

I have a Bob Jane a Kmart and a Goodyear place to choose from.

Help appreciated.

Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Freshn - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 19:25

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 19:25
Dave,

I noticed the same thing. FYI, I've got the same vehicle on the stock tyres and ~8000k's on the clock. Was gonna let Nissan suss it out when I get the chance.

F.
AnswerID: 62121

Follow Up By: Moneypit - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 01:33

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 01:33
I don't know that Nissan will do anything about it as tyres are not covered in the vehicle warranty [I think]

Dave
FollowupID: 323537

Reply By: desert - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 20:12

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 20:12
Dave, the wear pattern you mention is normal pattern for the GU. Only toe-in -toe-out is adjustable on live axle front end, which will do nothing for that wear pattern. To counter this you must regularly rotate wheels NO MORE THAN 10,000Km between rotations. And, to retify that wear, you have to CROSS-ROTATE wheels, which goes against the grain of most tyre fitters. However, it has to be tried. If you have severe balance problems, or unusual deterioration of the tyres, then return them to their original positions and live with the problem. If you think about the wear pattern, changing the wheel to the other side of the vehicle, and therefore reversing it's direction of rotation, will even out the wear and regain life for your tyres. Cheers.
Desert.
AnswerID: 62134

Follow Up By: Moneypit - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 01:32

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 01:32
Desert

Thanks for that. I do rotate them but missed the last one and did 12K the way thay were. You say that cross rotation will make the tyren even out. Problem with that as I see it is that the part that is wearing on the drivers side at the moment [which is the right side of the tyre looking from the drivers seat] will then be moved to the left side front and the worn part will be on the outside of the wheel or to the far left [which is again to the left side edge still looking from the drivers seat]

I do a 5 tyre rotation which involves spare to right rear, right rear to right front, right front to left rear, Left rear to left front and the left front becomes the new spare. At the end of the day if the right side edge of the tyre is to the right side of the driver when it is on the front right its still going to be at the edge, although it will have been turned around and be to the left edge [still from the drivers seat] when it travels to all the other spots it will go to.

The only way I can see to do other than that is to get the tyres refitted and put on the other way. I'm not sure that is a good idea??

Dave.
FollowupID: 323536

Reply By: Freshn - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 19:42

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 19:42
I disagree with the suggestion that toe angles have no effect on wear patterns. I'm convinced that toe-in is the cause of outside-edge wear on the fronts. Having said this, toe-in helps increase directional stability and this slight uneven wear on front tyres is perhaps a trade off between tyre wear and directional stability. I would still get nissan to suss it out just to be sure the toe angle is within the acceptable range or have an adjustment be made.

F.
AnswerID: 62321

Reply By: Moneypit - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 22:15

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 22:15
Took the Nissan into the local Bob Jane/Goodyear outlet today. Bloke in there [Wade] seemed interested in my problem and asked about my rotation pattern and the like. Had a look at the car and then I left it with him for a couple of hours. Another bloke [one who had done the car] had obviously been told the game story to the time as he knew what I had told the boss when I dropped it off.

Gave me a readout that suggested very little adjustment. Did say that the signs to him indicated an under inflation which may have some basis as I ran the tyres at 34PSI in the beginning and have now gone up to 38 all round.

For you techo's it ended up reading like this: -

Before
Left.............Right
Toe in/out -2................-2

Camber 0................-.2

Caster +6...............+6

After
.................Left..............Right

..................0..................-.2
................+6..................+6

To be perfectly honest I don't know what it all means. The bloke has asjed me to bring it in for him to have a look in 3,000K's and he reckons he'll be able to tell if hes fixed it.

Cost $55 [and don't forget that includes the standard NW markup I expect]

We'll have to wait and see.

One thing he did say that I had never thought about though is that the problems have become more prevalent in the industry since the advent of the high numbers of roundabouts. Always clockwise and we always put enormous pressures on the left front.

Sorry............I couldn't get the table to look pretty. I tried

Dave B
AnswerID: 62526

Sponsored Links