WA Parks and Wildlife Service - Big Thanks

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 29, 2017 at 16:48
ThreadID: 135482 Views:3688 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Driving into King Edward River camp ground on our way to the Mitchell Falls in our LC200, the fuel filter warning light came on. Car had only done around 25,000k and I didn't think to pack a spare filter. Think the problem was two fold. A dirty batch of fuel and probably dirt within our old metal Jerry Cans.

Took the filter out at King Edward and cleaned it as best I could and the light went out. Happened to mention the problem to Pam and Ken, the camp hosts and they immediately rang through to the Ranger at Mitchell Falls to see if there was anyone coming in from Kununurra who could bring a replacement filter in for me. They told us to talk to the Ranger when we got there and he may be able to organise something for us.

Sure enough, Ranger Garry (Gaz) at Mitchell Falls camp ground let me ring through to the Toyota dealer in Kununurra. I paid pay for the new filter and he then organised for it to be picked up at the Toyota counter by one of the Parks and Wildlife services staff the next day. They put in on a plane that was bringing in some supplies and within a few days Ranger Gaz bought it around to our campsite.

A big thankyou and wrap for the WA Parks and Wildlife service. What a great service.

ps. My clean of the filter lasted into Kalumburu and back to Drysdale before the warning light came back again. New filter in and all ok. Bought a spare filter in Broome that is now in the spares box.
Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Aug 29, 2017 at 17:58

Tuesday, Aug 29, 2017 at 17:58
Good lesson there to always take a spare fuel (and air / oil) filter, you never know when you might get a bad batch of fuel.
Top assistance from WA Parks there all right, over and above what you'd expect, but shows just how efficient assistance can be working in with locals just doing their normal run of the mill weekly tasks.
The spares box is half a large metal tool chest on my outback runs, but worth it for peace of mind.
Happy travels.
AnswerID: 613378

Reply By: rumpig - Tuesday, Aug 29, 2017 at 18:18

Tuesday, Aug 29, 2017 at 18:18
Great work by the Nat Parks guys...i had a fuel filter light come on in my 79 series as we just about got to Rainbow on the way to Fraser, i drove around Fraser for a week with it on, then another week after that back at home before getting a chance to change it. The vehicle drove fine the entire time, made me wonder how touchy these sensors are that set the warning lights off.
AnswerID: 613379

Reply By: Will 76 Series - Tuesday, Aug 29, 2017 at 19:16

Tuesday, Aug 29, 2017 at 19:16
Yes, same deal last year with my Toyota 70 Series. Fuel warning light and replaced the filtier only to find three days later it came back on again. It ended up being a faulty sensor. Always cary air, oil and fuel filter spares. Some long desert trips I carry 2 x fuel filters.
AnswerID: 613382

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, Aug 29, 2017 at 22:19

Tuesday, Aug 29, 2017 at 22:19
My vote too for the Parks guys at Mitchell Falls. When we were there a couple of years ago they provided a great deal of help for a young couple who had experienced major suspension problems with their Jeep.
Service above and beyond the call of duty, and all delivered with a friendly manner.
Another reason to enjoy travel in the Kimberley.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 613386

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Wednesday, Aug 30, 2017 at 07:59

Wednesday, Aug 30, 2017 at 07:59
mep, I don't use metal jerries but instead use yellow poly ones marked diesel and then keep them covered with black builders plastic to stop light growing nasties. With the yellow container you can see if there are any contaminates present in the diesel.

BTW. Great positive post.
AnswerID: 613392

Follow Up By: mepvic - Wednesday, Aug 30, 2017 at 08:23

Wednesday, Aug 30, 2017 at 08:23
Good advice. I don't use them any more either. Soon as we got into Derby they were taken out to the tip and new plastic ones purchased. My Jerry cans were over 30 years old. Lesson here is if you want to keep using metal cans, have them steamed cleaned now and then.
FollowupID: 883855

Reply By: Dean K3 - Wednesday, Aug 30, 2017 at 10:58

Wednesday, Aug 30, 2017 at 10:58
I'm hoping this is the only issue you had, say this as I know there is a couple on here plus do regular travel write up in Western 4wd mag have a 200 series petrol cruiser and had a armful of trouble with their cruiser.

Exactly what caused the issues I can't recall but just about every sensor was replaced new fuel pump/filter installed and was at point that any trips were planned around what towns had a toyota dealership/mechanical workshop.

Dpaw or whatever dept they now called are usually the first responders who come across people with either mechanical issues medical emergencies or fell foul of conditions. ie require rescue and medivac.

Karajini NP springs to mind another rescue after tourist fell and sustained head injuries last week

Majority out bush have a wealth of knowledge and skills and honestly they have to be mechanically savvy and often have a few bits n pieces on shelf for bush repairs to campers trailers suspension eye bolts hangers plus own assets on site.

They certainly went above & beyond to arrange replacement filter and transportation, esp as it involved airlift to site.

Good to see that spirit is still alive n kicking out bush

As per fuel quality I treat majority as being suspect esp out bush double filters should be mandatory to prevent costly injector failure. With the strength of plastic fuel containers I wouldn't trust a metal one these days.
AnswerID: 613394

Reply By: Drew - Karratha - Thursday, Aug 31, 2017 at 22:45

Thursday, Aug 31, 2017 at 22:45
I wrote a couple of lengthy replies last night, however they both deleted when I pressed submit... the main point I was trying to get to was I can't believe that the fuel filter in the 200 series TTD is never changed as part of the normal Toyota 10000km servicing - until 2016 where it is changed every 40000kms or 24 months... (same engine...)
Ours is a 2014 VX and the light came on at 37000kms and about 32 months - only ever filled up from a new Caltex Service station. For a part that takes 5 mins to change and may cost Toyota only a couple of $ - and is responsible for protecting the single most expensive component of the vehicle, I find it hard to fathom why they failed to include it in servicing - until now... an oversight ?probably not...
AnswerID: 613428

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Sep 01, 2017 at 05:34

Friday, Sep 01, 2017 at 05:34
Drew,

In both June & July 2017, we did Simpson trips in our 79 series. The 40K km capped service($310) was due in between these trips and I asked if they could replace the fuel filter due to the remote nature of the 2nd trip. No worries they said.

Invoice for capped service plus fuel filter change now $442!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 883898

Follow Up By: Drew - Karratha - Friday, Sep 01, 2017 at 11:39

Friday, Sep 01, 2017 at 11:39
I got a total price of $140 for the filter and 30 mins labour to fit...
I bought a Genuine filter off Toyota for $37, and it took 5 mins (the first time I have changed one) and another couple of minutes to watch an 'All For Adventure' YouTube clip on resetting the dash....
I'm not impressed that this filter is not part of their servicing, or the 30 min labour charge - especially since they have added it on newer models with the same engine....
FollowupID: 883904

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Friday, Sep 01, 2017 at 17:33

Friday, Sep 01, 2017 at 17:33
Drew,

Suspect adding a another fuel filter up your way wouldn't be a bad idea -to allow for fuel quality.

Adding additional filters come online once any gremlins are identified ie injectors wearing from crap fuel as hypothetical example

Just remember one stage the time & labour was 1 day plus to change the starter motor on the V8 land cruiser few years ago.
FollowupID: 883912

Follow Up By: Drew - Karratha - Friday, Sep 01, 2017 at 19:10

Friday, Sep 01, 2017 at 19:10
Thanks Dean, But no need - I have been living down near Bunbury for about 10 years now (just stuck with the old username...) the 200 is just the kids school drop-off car.. I have an old 60 series for the fun stuff...
FollowupID: 883916

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Sep 02, 2017 at 11:48

Saturday, Sep 02, 2017 at 11:48
I always carry 2 fuel filters. My old 200 had nearly 200,000km. I guess I went through about 4 in the time I owned that 200. Every single time the filter light came on it was after a fill up from a remote location. At $40 each and 10 mins to change the filter, it's cheap insurance.
FollowupID: 883943

Sponsored Links