Troopy Upgrade

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 31, 2017 at 20:28
ThreadID: 135500 Views:4494 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
If you are a 75, 78 or 79 series owner you will be familiar with the rubbish seats. The long distance cramps and painful hips as you get out of the vehicle. I thought of putting SAAS seats in awhile ago but they were too expensive and difficult to fit.
Well I have solved the issue, on Ebay you can buy from a Fabricator called Taracan 2 adaptor brackets to suit XR Falcon seats. I purchased the brackets for $200 and independently purchased 2 front XR seats at a cost of $350.
The job took about 2 hours and Oh what a feeling. The best Mod I've ever done and does the Troopy look the goods!! With the extra space between the seats I made a console.
So if your sick to death of those horrible drivers seat and 3/4 bench seats Do this you'll be in heaven driving.

Jeff
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Aug 31, 2017 at 21:38

Thursday, Aug 31, 2017 at 21:38
I do hope you aren't in heaven quite so soon. Perhaps delay that a little while.
AnswerID: 613425

Reply By: Drew - Karratha - Thursday, Aug 31, 2017 at 22:13

Thursday, Aug 31, 2017 at 22:13
I did similar with my 60 series Landcruiser - $50 for a pair of late model Corolla seats and a bit of mucking around fabricating brackets. The colour of them perfectly matches the interior too...
Last Nov I drove it to Broome (from Bunbury) and it was as comfortable (well - maybe nearly as comfortable) as any car I have driven.
AnswerID: 613426

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Sep 01, 2017 at 12:39

Friday, Sep 01, 2017 at 12:39
I do trust that you are aware, that replacing any seating in a vehicle, with seating that was never offered by the manufacturer originally, requires approval by your local licencing authority?

Failure to gain approval for seating alterations could invalidate your vehicle insurance, and also lead to a yellow sticker.
You'd more than likely only find out about the insurance invalidation, after an accident, when an insurance assessor inspects the vehicle.

Remember, "full disclosure" of additional extras, changes, alterations, and anything that affects the value or operation of the vehicle - after you have filled out an initial insurance form and insured the vehicle - is required by insurance companies.

If you fail to notify them of vehicle alterations, extras added, or other changes affecting the value and operation of the vehicle, they have grounds to claim it was not the same vehicle they insured.

If you think you can claim exemption from the licencing regulations for replacement Falcon seating, because you're still using the "original seat mountings" - you're on thin ice, because you have utilised an aftermarket seat mounting adaptor, that may have no regulatory approval.

Not saying this will happen, but official regulations and company T's&C's, have a nasty habit of biting you on the ar$e when you least expected it, and end up costing you money.

If it was me, I'd be checking with the authorities, gaining their approval for the modification, and rest easy with the regulations and the insurance company.
It's entirely likely the modified setup could be officially approved - but it's better to find out before, rather than after an event, that could raise some ugliness.

VICROADS - Vehicle modifications - seating replacement

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 613451

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Friday, Sep 01, 2017 at 17:16

Friday, Sep 01, 2017 at 17:16
Beat me to it, now going by todays standards what I remember as a kid would be deemed criminal today.

Know many years ago (as young tacker) folks had a S3 landie 109 inch 2.25 4 cyl.

Once we got bit too big to be unrestrained in back of landie folks sourced a ex MTT (transperth today) bus seat fitted nicely. Just too low so bit of jarrah wood fixed that, with couple of gutter bolts to attach wood to seat frame.

Then set of seat belts holes drilled into floor plate about 2x4 added underneath hi tensile bolts and one hoped for the best.

Even today, getting a ex ADF landie is bit challenging in WA due to seat belts and seat not being standard issue by manufacturer -mate got around it somehow
FollowupID: 883911

Follow Up By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Friday, Sep 01, 2017 at 17:49

Friday, Sep 01, 2017 at 17:49
Yes Ron have thought of those issues and arranging for an engineering Certificate will then disclose to insurance Co.
FollowupID: 883913

Follow Up By: nickb - Saturday, Sep 02, 2017 at 10:00

Saturday, Sep 02, 2017 at 10:00
Unless the modification to the seats contributes to the accident or injuries then they can not void insurance. I have never heard of or seen any evidence to the contrary.

I reckon the XR seats would be an awesome conversion to any 4x4!!!!
FollowupID: 883936

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, Sep 02, 2017 at 10:41

Saturday, Sep 02, 2017 at 10:41
QUOTE - "Unless the modification to the seats contributes to the accident or injuries then they can not void insurance."

Nick, you obviously haven't read your insurance companys PDS right through, or you wouldn't make that statement.

Insurance companies need very little reason or encouragement to avoid payouts, and I always work on the basis of, "never give a dog a sniff of a bone".

Despite not relating to 4WD's or Landcruiser seats, the seat replacement article in the link below, provides some useful insight into, and stimulates thought-provoking issues, when replacing your original seating, with seating from a totally different make and model.

Just one of the issues to be considered, is the harmonics of the replacement seat springing, in relation to your vehicles suspension.
Vehicle engineers spend quite some time tuning seat springing harmonics to the suspension of the particular vehicle to which it is fitted.

Other issues are related to seat belts (repositioning and anchoring), airbags (seating position is crucial for correct airbag deployment - and manuals even advise you the correct position to sit in the seat), seat sensors, and other electronic component issues.

If you're sourcing a seat from a totally different vehicle, you need to consider and check out the likes of all these issues.

Autospeed - Article - replacing and upgrading your vehicles seats

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 883939

Follow Up By: Drew - Karratha - Saturday, Sep 02, 2017 at 10:57

Saturday, Sep 02, 2017 at 10:57
I hope you haven't replaced your suspension Ron - your harmonics may be all out and void your insurance...
After reading your first reply I raced out and replaced my newish Corolla seats with the original 30 year old Landcruiser seats to ensure no sensors / airbags / harmonics etc were affected... thanks!
FollowupID: 883942

Follow Up By: nickb - Saturday, Sep 02, 2017 at 15:55

Saturday, Sep 02, 2017 at 15:55
Ron you are correct, but in reality my experience (and that of family and friends) is very different. Most of my vehicles have been modified beyond the law and I have never had a claim rejected, likewise my mates. Maybe I should have worded it "there is 99.9% chance they won't void your warranty, in my opinion a non issue."

As you say, they have the option to refuse a claim but I am yet to hear of a case where this has happened.
FollowupID: 883949

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Saturday, Sep 02, 2017 at 17:20

Saturday, Sep 02, 2017 at 17:20
The only time insurance companies are concerned with seating issues is when.

The seat caused the accident and they have to payout, or the seat was proven to have caused injury to an occupant and they have to pay compensation.

FollowupID: 883953

Reply By: Will 76 Series - Friday, Sep 01, 2017 at 22:35

Friday, Sep 01, 2017 at 22:35
Yep replaced the terrible seats with Ricaro's and got an Engineer's Certification to keep the insurance company safe. What a great move it was!! SUV owners don't have to worry about stuff like this!
AnswerID: 613463

Reply By: andrew t - Saturday, Sep 02, 2017 at 12:42

Saturday, Sep 02, 2017 at 12:42
hurracane fabrications do a seat runner that will let you use factory rails and xr falcon seats seem to be the go plenty of troopys getting around with this mod done to them.
AnswerID: 613468

Reply By: COLIN D4 - Saturday, Sep 02, 2017 at 17:15

Saturday, Sep 02, 2017 at 17:15
MODIFICATIONS
45 years in the accident repair business I saw lots of modifications without certification and the insurance companies didn't bat an eye lid , in fact most assessors wouldn't even look or know what to look for or even check for mods .
They check tyre tread depth , overall condition of the car , once the claim is authorised , start repairing it .

In the case of a death in a car that was modified , different story .
AnswerID: 613471

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Saturday, Sep 02, 2017 at 17:35

Saturday, Sep 02, 2017 at 17:35
Pity number of smash repairers do a quick repairs only.

I had to get bullbar replaced plus few other panel damage after a errant sardine can decided it needed same piece of road I was using. A pretty big impact myself (RHL) doing est 70-65 vs 20 with it behind a pocket train in LHL.

Upon collection from repairer vehicle was inspected by mechanic who immediately observed a crack in the mounting kit for bullbar - arb is a two piece on a prado 120.

Response from accident repairer was we will weld it up. I wasn't particularly happy with this but way they do it

turns out any stressed components can not be re-welded due to metal fatigue and possible non conformance to airbag deployment guidelines - this came directly from a ARB agent.

So here I am with a non compliant bull-bar that may or may not have airbag deployment issue in a collision and this is deemed to be perfectly OK as a repair industry standard.

This doesn't even factor in the so called "wheel alignment" which upon inspection by a steering and suspension facility showed damage to steering relay arms directly related to the impact.

Mere fact the accident repair manager/owner told the inspecting mechanic to F@@@ O## when they wanted to address the matter shows to me how corrupt the industry truly is
FollowupID: 883954

Reply By: COLIN D4 - Saturday, Sep 02, 2017 at 17:58

Saturday, Sep 02, 2017 at 17:58
Right , thanks for that .
AnswerID: 613472

Sponsored Links