Interstate Registration ?

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 13:34
ThreadID: 135520 Views:7825 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hello I am thinking of buying a caravan but I live in nsw and I am wondering if I can buy a vic registered caravan but how would I be able to insure it ? I rang a jayco dealer in Victoria he said it was no problem buying it new he would just deprecate a client Id , that's all good and well but what if I buy it second from a private buyer in vic for example. I know a lot of caravanners do it but how?registration is much cheaper there and it would be great if I could
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Racey - Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 14:11

Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 14:11
Johnny, just insure it with the interstate reg, then change it when you get home. There are a lot of people register their vans in Victoria. If you have a mailing address there, problem solved.

AnswerID: 613542

Reply By: Malcom M - Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 14:13

Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 14:13
If you buy it interstate then you simply tow it back here on its Vic plates.
Take it to a rego place that does Blue Slips. There's lots of them and they are listed on the Service NSW (old RTA) website somewhere.
He'll give it the once over and point out anything that does not comply with NSW and issue you with a Blue Slip. Take that to the RTA and they will issue rego papers plus a NSW plate. You don't get any credit for the remaining VIC rego.

I've done this on a VIC camper trailer. Its very straight forward.

AnswerID: 613543

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 14:45

Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 14:45
You cannot register a vehicle in another state unless your MDL and home address is in that state.
Having "a mailing address in that state" is no longer an option.
You can register a vehicle in another state if you have a company or corporation registered in that state (a corporate "entity") - but you have to provide substantial proof of the companys registration, address, and corporate details such as ABN, etc.

I'm located in W.A., and I bought a ute in Victoria in 2005, which carried Victorian registration, and I tried to register it in my name in Victoria, using a friends address.

VicRoads returned my money with a notice stating that a vehicle cannot be registered in that state, unless the owner held an MDL in that state, and that that state was recorded as being the owners home state.

These regulations have been introduced to prevent re-birthing, and to try and prevent interstate transportation of stolen vehicles, trailers, caravans, etc.

To buy a road-registered item from another state, the buyer should de-licence the item and return the plates, and sell it to you unregistered.
You then need to obtain a Temporary Movement Permit to move the item to your state.
You need a TMP for every state you move through, unless there is a "reciprocal agreement" on TMP's, between the states you're moving across.

Failure to de-licence an item sold to a person from another state, renders the original owner liable to traffic fines incurred (such as speed camera fines) after the item is sold, and being moved around by the new owner.

You cannot use a vehicle registered in another state for more than 3 months, without transferring registration to that state, if your MDL and home address is in the state you have been using the interstate-registered vehicle in.

Service NSW - register an interstate vehicle

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 613544

Follow Up By: Johnnykluger - Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 14:54

Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 14:54
Thanks that all I needed to know they must have cracked down on that sort of thing I wonder why the jayco dealer in vic told me I could buy it new in their dealership and get it registered there ?
FollowupID: 884046

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 15:09

Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 15:09
Well, there's always people who are prepared to bend the rules, and to provide devious means of getting around regulations.

However, the bottom line is, the registration authorities in every state are now interconnected and they can now see vehicle registrations, and ownership details in every state.

They are intent on keeping the vehicle registration database as accurate and honest as they possibly can, because so much hangs on accurate vehicle registration.

Police investigative work, accident reporting, fines, traffic cams, and a dozen other important events are all tied in with vehicle registration numbers.

Any corruption of the database by thieves and criminal motorcycle gangs, people trying to avoid authorities, and lies about actual, true ownership of a vehicle, are pinpointed rapidly, and result in official investigations.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 884047

Follow Up By: tonysmc - Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 16:36

Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 16:36
You actually don't have to have your licence and vehicle registered in the same state and it is perfectly legal. What it comes down to is your licence has to be where you live and work (I think with FIFO worker its where you consider your place of residence when not at work) For your vehicle, it is where it is normally garaged. I currently have vehicles registered in Victoria but have not lived there for the last 16 years. I also have a boat licence there which has my interstate address on it. The rego renewals are all sent to my home address interstate. This is because, while I don't live in Victoria, I often fly there for holidays and work. I leave the car, boat and trailer in Victoria and therefor they have to be registered in Victoria because that where they are garaged, yet I cannot be licenced there and I don't live there.
Where people go wrong is they register vehicles in Victoria as it is cheaper when the vehicle is not actually parked in Vic.

Hope that makes sense

FollowupID: 884048

Follow Up By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 16:51

Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 16:51
You see quite a few Vic registered caravans in NSW being towed by NSW vehicles. I personally know of 2.
It is AFAIR $88 to register a large van in Vic and about $550 in NSW, based on weight. Hell its a couple of hundred to register my camper trailer.( $176 to be exact and that is under 750Kg.)
This is a powerful incentive .
I understand that the NSW govt promised to review the rego charges for vans several years ago. As Usual nothing happened.

Regards Philip A
FollowupID: 884049

Follow Up By: Johnnykluger - Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 16:57

Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 16:57
Yes I am wanting to buy A swan camper trailer and the reg fees in nsw are ridiculous I heard they were reviewing it as well but as usual nothing.....
FollowupID: 884051

Reply By: RMD - Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 16:50

Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 16:50
Why would the dealer "disapprove of" ie, deprecate, having a client ID? He has to know who he is selling it to for ownership reasons, with or without registration.
It is your responsibility to have it registered in your state.
AnswerID: 613545

Follow Up By: Johnnykluger - Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 16:55

Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 16:55
I had explained to the dealer that I lived in nsw and was wondering if I could have the caravan registered in vic so he knew I was living in nsw
FollowupID: 884050

Reply By: peteC - Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 18:53

Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 18:53
I just did this with a 2nd hand van purchased in qld working out how it's done. Result,
1. call insurance company and arrange insurance, you don't need a rego number as long as its all legal what your doing.
2. Go to new rta and get a $35 unregistered permit.
3. Picked up van and gave qld plates back to seller. Drove home.
4. Get a nsw blue slip, $75. If you don't have old rego papers you will need a weigh bridge ticket.
5. Go to rta pay you $500 approx. Done.
Remember trying to keep the old plates only saves you $35 (you still Need to do everything else above anyway ) and you run the risk of the seller cancelling the rego on you without knowing
If buying new same process except no initial rego and you will need weighbridge ticket, but dealer may have one anyway.

Note nsw rta temp permit is valid in any state to get the vehical home
AnswerID: 613551

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 21:28

Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 21:28
I think the original poster wants to avoid #5. - why pay $500 in NSW when it costs $70 in every other state
FollowupID: 884062

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 22:16

Tuesday, Sep 05, 2017 at 22:16
"nsw rta temp permit is valid in any state to get the vehical home"

Not exactly true for W.A.
Only if you are non-resident in W.A., will a TMP from another state be recognised for use in W.A.

If you are a resident of W.A., and enter W.A. on another states TMP, you are obliged to stop at the first police station, or shire council, that you encounter in W.A., and take out a W.A. TMP.

I have transported numerous vehicles from Eastern States to W.A. on TMP's, and I am conversant with W.A.'s requirements.

W.A. DOT - Temporary Movement Permits

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 613556

Follow Up By: mountainman - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 04:49

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 04:49
.you do realise WA is very prehistoric in how they do business.
Let alone legislation
Business opening perth for example, like supermarkets
no wonder their share of the gst hasn't made it back to WA ;-)
Give them another 50years to catch up :-P
FollowupID: 884066

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 10:49

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 10:49
Just don't use a temporary movement permit for any competition vehicle ie rally car or vehicle not compliant to class A registration in WA

That requires 12 + working days for a permit to be issued

This been hounded into our brains of late for WA rally championship
FollowupID: 884073

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 12:02

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 12:02
why don.t you ring your insurance company an ask there the one who know
AnswerID: 613568

Reply By: toffytrailertrash - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 17:14

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2017 at 17:14
You can purchase a vehicle or caravan/trailer in Victoria on an interstate licence the only slight problem you have is the number plates must either be removed and a permit obtained from Vic Roads or the interstate purchaser must attend a Vic Roads Office to try to have it registered in their name in this State if they own a property in this State.
Permits can be obtained over the phone for a caravan at roughly $29.00 for a seven day permit from memory, could be slightly less.
For insurance all that is required is the chassis and vin number at that stage to arrange for a cover note until it is registered in the home State.


AnswerID: 613576

Sponsored Links