Tom Price to Mt.Augustus via Ashburton Downs.

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 09, 2017 at 23:18
ThreadID: 135557 Views:4358 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Initial enquiry:Would I Be foolish to tow a 16ft manta ray with colorado ute from TP to Mt Augustus via Ashburton Downs in mid october?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 08:33

Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 08:33
Its a few years since I did that road but my recollection was it was well graded like most WA roads.
I assume your "Manta Ray"is a New Age caravan and not a fish!
Is yours the offroad or onroad version? Ours is the offroad and I's have no issues about going that way apart from taking it easy and letting some air out of the tyres.
We went through Mount Augustus again last month and they were being kept busy fixing flat tyres - some sharp rocks on the gravel out there.
AnswerID: 613644

Reply By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 10:16

Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 10:16
Went through there 2 weeks ago with a camper trailer. The road down through Asburton Downs is fine and you would have no problems. The Dooley Downs road is a different story. Quite a lot of dips and bends and sharp rocks. You could probably take an off road caravan through there but it would be slow going.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 613648

Reply By: Dean K3 - Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 10:51

Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 10:51
As long as chassis and suspension are designed for rougher tracks shouldn't pose a problem.

Have spare tyres roads are littered with tyre destroying rocks usually with a cleared line to adhere to. TPMS may be difference between save a tyre and bin it

Temps will start to be heating up (early 30 to mid 30's) so overheating tyres may be come more of a issue

On these roads towing or not I try to stop every 3/4 hr to do a wheel check for inflation/damage plus give back a break walk around abit
AnswerID: 613651

Reply By: Member - J&A&KK - Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 21:12

Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 21:12
Alan

I agree with Dingoblue and Dean.

The road along the Ashburton River will be fine. The road through Dooley Downs has some steep dips and climbs and tight bends in it and is generally very stony. I looked at the Manta Ray specs but couldn't determine the overhang and ground clearance. The photos on the web indicate low ground clearance and a long rear overhang. So you may have to take care and carefully pick your line through a few of the dips to avoid dragging your rear end.

It is a very scenic drive on the Dooley Downs road through to Mt Augustus. Personally I think you will not have any problems making that trip provided you are cautious, take it easy and have reasonable experience in towing on less than straight forward dirt roads. The road is maintained by the Shire, is generally in good condition (depends on when the grader was last through there) and the surface is hard and stony.

I have travelled this road twice in the last three years towing an off road van and not had any problems. I have passed standard highway caravans on the road but they were heading in the same direction as me and just out of Mt Augustus so I don't know if they succeeded in their journey. However I would recommend you wait to hear from those who have done it with a similar van to yours.

Cheers

John

AnswerID: 613663

Follow Up By: Member - alan m6 - Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 22:33

Sunday, Sep 10, 2017 at 22:33
Thanks John for very constructive comments.Have had a lot of unsealed roads,but very little serious stuff--Mereenie Loop,Great Central Road,Newman to Marble Bar,lots of the Pilbara & western Qld.Would check with shires first,& do more research first.
FollowupID: 884177

Sponsored Links