vms gps

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 13, 2017 at 21:00
ThreadID: 135593 Views:4686 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
guys ,My son gave me a VMS 700HDX GPS for my 60th , The problem is I dont know how to run it in off road mode ,read the manual ,don`t understand it .cant just type in a track ,Also been on the web site ,and youtube .still cant get my head around it .Any advice would be great.cheers uppy
...the school bus,still gets us there

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ChrisK - Thursday, Sep 14, 2017 at 09:44

Thursday, Sep 14, 2017 at 09:44
Hi Uppy,
I have an older VMS which has 2 off-road map sets on it and I find that both are really difficult to understand the same as you.Mine has all the hema maps running in ozi-explorer and iI have found it a complete mystery. I bet there is some-one some where that can explain it all in English but finding them is difficult. I too have looked at you tube in the hope that it might lift the veil of darkness but for me to no avail. Hope you find someone and if you do please let us know? I bet we aren't the only ones that are struggling!!!!!!
AnswerID: 613778

Follow Up By: uppy - Thursday, Sep 14, 2017 at 17:50

Thursday, Sep 14, 2017 at 17:50
Thanks chris I`ll let you know when I learn the power of the force.Cheers Uppy

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 884308

Reply By: Member - Russler - Thursday, Sep 14, 2017 at 12:40

Thursday, Sep 14, 2017 at 12:40
Hi Uppy,
I also have an older (7000 series) VMS installed in my Patrol. To access the offroad Nav, I firstly have to exit the street nav (via Menu button in bottom right corner of touch screen), then select offroad nav. This presents me with a choice of Ozi-Explorer (for which you'll need a licence) or Mem-Map (free to use). My unit also came with the Hema maps, but I don't believe the newer units include these anymore.
I'm looking at replacing my unit in the near future, as it is showing signs of age (?) and doesn't always boot up each time when starting the car. When using the offoad nav, it took me a while to get the hang of just finding the appropriate map to use, and I couldn't be bothered trying to sort out some of the more advanced features (like waypoints, etc.) as it was too frustrating.
AnswerID: 613780

Follow Up By: uppy - Thursday, Sep 14, 2017 at 17:53

Thursday, Sep 14, 2017 at 17:53
Thanks Russler ,Yep in street mode great,off road ,you need to do a uni course.Cheers Uppy

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 884309

Reply By: Member - Racey - Friday, Sep 15, 2017 at 12:03

Friday, Sep 15, 2017 at 12:03
Get your grandson to show you. ?? ?? ??
AnswerID: 613792

Reply By: Will 76 Series - Friday, Sep 15, 2017 at 17:12

Friday, Sep 15, 2017 at 17:12
I am a Garmin user and certianly am not saying this is the best systme but we have done serveral trips with folks with VMS GPS and none of them seem to know how to use it. I think the icon for a start seems to cover a grid square in offroad setting which is a concern. I have never had one but must say the HEMA GPS seems to be the go for simplicity. No help but simply comments. Good luck.
AnswerID: 613798

Reply By: glids - Monday, Sep 18, 2017 at 08:49

Monday, Sep 18, 2017 at 08:49
Hi uppy,

I have been running a VMS 500S model for a number of years, and have a huge library of off road type maps.

I run OziExplorer and don't generally have too much trouble - operating on the VMS is different to on the PC, and occasionally I need to search through menus to find what I want, but generally, once set up, I just leave it to change maps automatically as we travel. You need a licence for OziExplorer, but I think it is worth supporting an Aussie product. Check out their website. They have been most helpful answering questions over the years.

I had Memory Map installed on the VMS when purchased, but never used it, so cannot comment re how easy to use etc.

One thing to note about OziEx, and most likely all other off road mapping systems... you cannot use them to direct you to a location like you do in the road mapping system. They are basically a dumb mapping system that shows you where you are on a map. You can insert waypoints as you drive (for records purposes, photos etc) or you can create a list of waypoints (WP) on the PC and when they are loaded into the VMS you drive from one WP to the next - but it is up to you to determine how (which track / road) you will use to get there.

I put the VMS in the vehicle for any country drive and run OziEx because I get a large digital readout of ACCURATE speed. The map also comes in handy if I am planning to overtake another vehicle as I have a quick look to check if there are side roads entering on the right that another (maybe hidden) vehicle could come out of and cause a problem.

I would have to agree that OziEx is not 'simple' to use, but once you get the hang of it you will find it is great. You either need to 'play' with it to find the functions you want, or (much better) get someone to show you. I would be happy to help if you are nearby - NE suburbs of Adelaide. I will monitor this thread for a while to see if you are nearby and want to meet.

Sorry, can't help with Memory Map or other systems.

Suggest you persevere with the VMS, very good unit if you have the maps.

I think there used to be a free (trial) version of OziExplorer that had limited capabilities, but not sure if it is still available. You may need to check their website.

One final thing... do not leave the GPS stuck on the windscreen all the time, particularly in summer. My VMS, and my brother-in-laws identical 500S unit had a problem with the battery expanding like a pillow due to overheating (left on charge when engine running) and blowing the unit apart (not exploding, but swelling / distorting). The b-i-l's unit failed to work, but I got it going again after replacing the battery.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
glids
AnswerID: 613848

Sponsored Links