GVM upgrade (prior to reg) and increasing tyre diameter?

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 16, 2017 at 19:05
ThreadID: 135601 Views:9425 Replies:12 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
I've been looking at the options for GVM upgrades (probably for a Ford Ranger).
Firstly, does anyone have an opinion on the various suppliers (Lovells, OME, etc.)?

Second, If fitted prior to registration (under the "Secondary Manufacturer system) the statement is made that the vehicle is registered with the new upgrades as standard. As a GVM upgrade entails (around) a 50mm lift, does anyone know if this means the vehicle can subsequently be lifted to 50mm above this (though I believe the regs state "above OEM standards")?

I'd like to be able to fit 33"'s on.

Cheers,

Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Saturday, Sep 16, 2017 at 19:47

Saturday, Sep 16, 2017 at 19:47
G'day Mark,
Just picked up a new Dmax single cab a few months back & got ARB to do the GVM upgrade using Old Man Emu suspension before registration.
Still haven't purchased our slide on yet so it rides pretty high & it's a pretty bumpy ride! It did settle down slightly after some weeks & I carry a few strong 20L water containers which helps take away some of the harshness.

The guys at ARB were great & they did warn us about the harsh ride. They also said it's best to do the GVM upgrade based on all the fitted accessories (winch, Bullbar etc) & they went to great lengths to spec the upgrade to accommodate all the items carried on an extended trip including the Slide On. It is very surprising how much weight everything adds up to when you list it & total it all up.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 613815

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Saturday, Sep 16, 2017 at 20:35

Saturday, Sep 16, 2017 at 20:35
I had the same done to my D-Max back in 2014 as part of the initial purchase, it was the very first thing that was done to is so the engineering associated with the upgrade is based of a stock standard vehicle. As soon as you make any changes like adding a bullbar etc, the engineering then need to be recalculated taking into account the added accessories.
Also having it done pre-purchase, when it is registered, the upgrade is recognised nationally, doing it post rego it is only recognised in the state of registration so if you move interstate you will need to have the engineering re done.
My upgrade gave the car around a 40mm lift, I doubt you could add another 50mm later.

I also had bullbar, canopy, drawers and dual battery added at the same time with the car weighing in at 2500kg at time of rego. Probably because of the weight, I find the ride just as comfortable as my old Challenger.

This upgrade by ARB gives me another 270kg payload.
FollowupID: 884353

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Saturday, Sep 16, 2017 at 19:48

Saturday, Sep 16, 2017 at 19:48
Ask an engineer. Nobody on here will be qualified to answer that question
AnswerID: 613816

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Saturday, Sep 16, 2017 at 21:25

Saturday, Sep 16, 2017 at 21:25
Thanks Ivan, that's the next step. I asked here because there is a great depth of experience and someone may have gone through this before, giving me a heads up. Besides, there are a few very experienced engineers on here occasionally.

I have a couple of friends who are engineers who are going to help me with my build but I don;t like constantly bothering them and besides, like many, I want the answers NOW!

;-)

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 884355

Follow Up By: Blown4by - Friday, Sep 22, 2017 at 23:09

Friday, Sep 22, 2017 at 23:09
Nobody on here will be qualified to answer that question. Big statement!
FollowupID: 884453

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Saturday, Sep 23, 2017 at 15:49

Saturday, Sep 23, 2017 at 15:49
IvanTheTerrible replied:
Nobody on here will be qualified to answer that question

I think I have some qualifications seeing as I have already been down that road.

At least all the other reply have been helpful.
FollowupID: 884462

Follow Up By: Blown4by - Saturday, Sep 23, 2017 at 21:39

Saturday, Sep 23, 2017 at 21:39
Mate, I travel that road every day. Its what I do for a job.
FollowupID: 884469

Reply By: Jackolux - Saturday, Sep 16, 2017 at 20:28

Saturday, Sep 16, 2017 at 20:28
I got a ARB ( OME ) gvm upgrade when I bought my new Dmax , it was the only one available at the time , it's ok now after they eventually got it right
A mate has had a Lovells GVM upgrade done on his new Hilux , in my opinion it's a better product ,they got it right first go and it didn't take months of arguing and phone calls to head office , ( long bloody story )
The GVM upgrade will only be for the suspension , who ever you get to do it but might include a higher weight rated wheel / tyre depending on how much extra the GVM is .

But you are best to go and talk to both ARB and Lovells , to get the right info .
AnswerID: 613817

Reply By: 363 - Saturday, Sep 16, 2017 at 20:32

Saturday, Sep 16, 2017 at 20:32
Hi Mark,
I have a 2013 PX Ford Ranger 3.2 L Auto. I had Ultimate suspension installed by Alltrac in SA which was $2500 at the time (2013) and only had to then have it certified by one of Adelaides' Engineers which cost $500. The GVM upgrade increased by 130 Kg. Since then I have only had one additional leaf spring added to each of the rear leaf springs. Very pleased with the suspension. I have not needed any spacers to be added. In my opinion be wary of considering airbags for additional lift if you are thinking about that as well. I have had a previous vehicle with airbags and leaf springs. I had too much air in the bags and the chassis rails split in half. I think this was mainly due to too much air in the bags. One suspension counteracts the other. Air bags are brilliant on their own. Polyairs in coils work extremely well. Pay some money to an Engineer for some peace of mind and qualified expertise. Well worth it in my opinion.
Cheers,
Lone ranger
AnswerID: 613818

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Saturday, Sep 16, 2017 at 21:28

Saturday, Sep 16, 2017 at 21:28
I'm not considering airbags for this build (though I've had them on my last two vehicles and they've been brilliant. Both rear springs however). I'm also not actually considering an extra 50mm lift, just wanting to go up to 33's in the tyres. My question on this was more one of curiosity. You can go up 50mm from standard before requiring engineering compliance, I wonder if the pre-registration increase also means an increase ing expansion options?

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,
Mark
FollowupID: 884356

Follow Up By: gbc - Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 10:23

Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 10:23
33's will fit on a ranger with a standard 2" lift anyway. You just need bigger offset wheels.
The only minor mod path to a 4" IFS lift in qld used to be a combined 2" body 2" spring which I did to a hilux in 2004. It needed a reason for the body lift (Fit long range fuel tank), and it needed to go over the pits for an inspection and plating, which I did. At no time was fitting 33's an option - it still isn't a legal option on a ranger so far as I know, but that doesn't stop half the tradies doing it.
I don't know what the latest lift regs are, I don't modify too much any more, but if I remember correctly, for an IFS with traction control you can go either 2" lift OR 2" bigger tyres before you end up in plateable modification territory.
FollowupID: 884364

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 20:09

Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 20:09
The regs most certainly have changed.

At one time it was a straight forward thing to do a body lift.
1/ use the correct methods and materials
2/ get inspected at the government pits
3/ collect certificate .... not a plated mod

Its all different post VSB14
FollowupID: 884375

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Di T (SA) - Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 09:41

Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 09:41
We bought new 200 Series last year and had a Lovells GVM upgrade done on it before registration which means it is legal to be registered anywhere in Australia. It was the last thing done and we put our Thumper and fridge in the back for the upgrade and let them know just what we would be towing. The upgrade added an extra 500 kg to the GVM. It's high, but great.

We recently bought a new van which is heavier than the old one and it tows it like a dream. We did have to change the Hayman Reece though as the van rode much higher.

Di
AnswerID: 613828

Reply By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 10:52

Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 10:52
Mark,

With the new Hilux I am in the process of ordering I will be having the 17" rims and tyres fitted in place of the standard 18". This is mainly to have higher profile tyres fitted without fouling the interior liners in the front guards when turning.
The local tyre guy I deal with has kept the 18" rims on his Hilux and went for larger profile tyres but had to take to the plastic liners with a hacksaw blade. No idea about 33" tyres and the Ranger but may be a consideration.
At the moment I don't envisage having the vehicle lifted beyond what the larger tyre diameter will achieve. If you do so with your vehicle to meet your needs, via suspension upgrades, keep an eye on front drive shaft angles that might contribute to failures of CVs in extreme situations. As you probably know, front diff lowering kits may be an idea.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 613831

Reply By: Member - Charlie M (SA) - Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 20:10

Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 20:10
Hi Mark
I have a SR Hilux 2016, has a Lovells system fitted prior to rego.
Gave me a 500kg upgrade with light truck tyres with a higher load index.
It will not give you any higher gross combination, only higher vehicle load.
Charlie
AnswerID: 613840

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 20:20

Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 20:20
serioulsy ... before you do a GVM upgrade, consider the consequences ( rides like a dray) and if you will get the benifits you think you will.

Then consider if you should be buying an adequate vehicle from the beginning.

Go look at the vehicles that will not require modification like the Iveco turbo daily and the offerings from other manufacturers like hino & isuzu.

With the turbo daily you get.

A load capacity way above what any GVM upgrade will give
wheels way bigger than can possibly be fitted to a light ute of any type by any means
As well you get
diff locks
crawler gears
huge spacious cab ( 6 seats in a dual cab)
Air suspended front seats
and a whole pile of other stuff

need a truck, buy a truck

cheers
AnswerID: 613841

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 20:22

Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 20:22
Don't need a truck, not buying a truck. Thanks for the input though.

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 884377

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 22:41

Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 22:41
Obvioulsy the vehicle you are looking at is not fit for purpose ..... do yourself a very big favour and look at some of these heavier vehicles, you may find they are a far far better proposition and may actually be cheaper to buy and run ..... it certainly is cheeper to buy a turbo daily than buy and modify a landcruser

cheers
FollowupID: 884378

Follow Up By: Members - Bow & Nan - Monday, Sep 18, 2017 at 07:04

Monday, Sep 18, 2017 at 07:04
I went for a Ram to get the GVM I needed
FollowupID: 884380

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Monday, Sep 18, 2017 at 08:06

Monday, Sep 18, 2017 at 08:06
Funny, mine doesn't ride like a dray, it's just like a normal car.

I suppose if you have no weight in the back then it might be a bit harsh but then why would you need to upgrade anyway?
FollowupID: 884381

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Monday, Sep 18, 2017 at 08:29

Monday, Sep 18, 2017 at 08:29
Thanks for your advice Bantam. Good of you to give something so valuable, so freely.

;-)

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 884382

Reply By: splits - Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 20:29

Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 20:29
I would have a talk to this company if you happen to be close enough to get to them. HEASMAN They have been modifying street and competition suspensions since the 1950s. Click on "ABOUT" at the top of the page to see their history.

With every suspension alteration you usually gain something and loose something. In the interests of on road safety, it helps to know what the loss is. They should be ably to explain it in detail.

This link explains "roll steer" for a semi trailing arm rear suspension. The mounting position of each end of a leaf spring and its angle on a live axle when fully loaded does the same thing. AXLE STEER

Having the car sitting up high when loaded when it is supposed to be down could reverse this stability feature.
AnswerID: 613842

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 20:58

Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 20:58
Had an Ironman pre-rego GVM upgrade(to 3900kg) done on my 2015 Landcruiser ute.

No complaints with front springs and all the shocks, but rear springs sagged a bit after a slight overload. Also the rear spring packs are so deep that the U bolt plates often catch on deep wheel tracks, rocks etc. Have purchased a set of plates from Superior Engineering that should reduce this issue.

Despite these few dramas, it's nice to know the ute has an 1100Kg payload above it's "nude" weight of 2800kg. Rides very well, either loaded or empty.

I looked at Iveco Dailys too, but saw a couple at Big Red Bash, and didn't want a truck either.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 613843

Reply By: Matthew G3 - Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 21:48

Sunday, Sep 17, 2017 at 21:48
Mark
If you want a GVM upgrade prior to registration you are limited to the tyres that are on the tyre placard inside of your door. If you want to fit 33's you will have to see an engineer to see if any other mods need doing for another plate. From ARB, Ironman, Pedders. Looking into it myself.

cheers
Matt
AnswerID: 613844

Reply By: Blown4by - Friday, Sep 22, 2017 at 23:23

Friday, Sep 22, 2017 at 23:23
As stated in VSB14 an increase in height up to 50mm from the manufacturers standard height is permissible. This would be from the height when it left the factory at first stage of manufacture. i.e. When the Australian Compliance Plate was fitted and can be achieved by suspension lift, body lift or tyre lift (max 25mm) or a combination of these. If your GVM upgrade results in a 40mm lift then you have 10mm left to play with otherwise a modification application will be required along with engineering approval and in all likelihood a lane change test will be required.
Regarding you choice of SSM provider I suggest you look at the finished product before deciding as some I have seen do very suspect mods to the centre bearing height to compensate for the suspension lift. Good luck.
AnswerID: 613909

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Saturday, Sep 23, 2017 at 16:15

Saturday, Sep 23, 2017 at 16:15
For a second, with all the current media talk, I thought you were asking who my same-sex marriage provider would be!

Thanks for the input, this is what I suspected. My next issue is to see exactly what I need to do to get the 33's on legally and what modifications I'll need to make the whole upgrade more reliable, considering the lift. Suggestion here and elsewhere are leading me to the Lovells upgrade.
FollowupID: 884463

Sponsored Links