Lights

Submitted: Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 21:35
ThreadID: 13565 Views:1616 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I mentioned in an earlier post that I'd been mucking around with my rear end on the weekend and found an unexpected crack........ oh cripes, NOW what have I said??

Anyway, what I was actually doing was changing a few things around with regard to lights.

My rig pic shows I have 2 small (golf ball size) lights on the back of my roof rack. These were controlled by a 2 way switch so that they automatically came on when I chucked the box into reverse. With the switch thrown the other way, the lights came on at any time. They COULD have been good for waking up any drowsey mongrel behind me who had forgotten to dip their high beam; but of course I would NEVER have done that to a fellow motorist.

Anyway, I got to thinking about that horrible dark spot at about 45 degrees on either side when I'm driving at night with the 240's blaring away. I've now taken the little lights off and mounted them on either side of the bullbar (behind the outmost vertical tubes) so that they face outwards at around 45 degrees. Work pretty bloody good. Note this is NOT my original idea....I have seen it done on other vehicles so I'm not trying to claim it as a first.

On the back, I've bolted an upright bit of steel bar to the left-side wheel carrier (bit like what Kaymar do, but mine isn't telescopic). Went to the wreckers today and bought a pair of Hella driving lights in good nick. Only mounted one so far and it is "sheet-loads" brighter than the 2 I had facing backwards before.

I can thoroughly recommend using a driving light/s at the back. They're great for setting up camp, or if you're tail-end charlie on a night run through properties with gates, it's great for seeing what you're doing while closing the gates etc.

BTW......I'm actually a mongrel and WOULD use it on someone behind me if I had to.

Cheers,

Roachie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brew69 - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 21:42

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 21:42
Hope the cuppa is going well m8. Do you still need to run it thru a relay?

The Brewman
AnswerID: 62156

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie- Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:14

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:14
Yeh Brew,
Cuppa was good, thanks,
Relay is in the engine bay, with cable running down to and inside chassis rail to the back. Earthed the light to the chassis too.
FollowupID: 323510

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:08

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:08
Roachie,

Given your comments on flashing mongrels who are up your arse with high beam on (make of that what you will!), I find it interesting that the automatic topic categorizer doobe whatsit thingy came up with "Driving Skills" as a Topic Search!!!

Cheers
Steven
AnswerID: 62159

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie- Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:15

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:15
Steven
Yep, beats the "sheet" out of me......

You going to Berri?

Cheers,

Roachie
FollowupID: 323511

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:18

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:18
See ya there. I'll be there about 8pm Fri.

Steven
FollowupID: 323513

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:46

Monday, Jun 07, 2004 at 22:46
Roachie,
I hate to bring you bad news, but I am sure that any rear facing light can not have a clear lense. Lights that face any direction other than forward must have a work light type lense. With a light mounted on a steel bar can vibrate loose. The work light that Kaymar supply are always falling off. I put a Hella work light on the back of the roof rack on a spring base,55w globe gives enough light to set up camp or to wake up drivers and I control it from the drivers seat.

I remember when the NIssian 2.8 turbo diesel ( GR I think that is what they called them) came out with the turning light on the front guard. Turn the RH indicater on and the turning light would shine to the right to light up where you were going to go, the same would happen on the left when the LH indicater was used. I onced used this light to check out the driver of vehicle next to me by just moving the indicater lever just enough to turn the light on but not enough to turn the signal lamp on. What ever happened to that idea.

Wayne
AnswerID: 62167

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie- Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 09:14

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 09:14
G'day Wayne,
Thanks for the advice about the clear lenses; I dunno whether the constabulary are quite that switched on over here to notice (unless it is one of THEM that I end up giving the bright wake up call to of course).

The current GU's have the turning lights at the front, but I've never tried to turn them on without the indicators coming on like you said. They are good at showing you where the edge of the curb is etc when you're turning etc

Cheers,

Roachie
FollowupID: 323559

Reply By: govo - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 19:57

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 19:57
Hi Roachie,l bought a rear wheel extension to carry a 285x75 spare and it came with a rear light holder or as l call it...a antibleeplight.The wife and l were returning home one night and over took a idiot in a doff doff car ,thought he was being smart by leaving his high beam on untill l slowed down and turned on the antibleeplight...works wonders cheers
AnswerID: 62327

Sponsored Links