Buying Used Kimberley Kamper Trailer

Submitted: Friday, Sep 29, 2017 at 19:27
ThreadID: 135668 Views:6198 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am considering a Kimberley Kamper around the 2000 to 2005 vintage mainly because there are versions around that are set up to take a small boat.
Generally speaking assuming the canvas appears to be in good condition without any holes pinch marks etc what would you anticipate its economical life to be. Usually I would expect the flymesh to fail first if not the zips, not sure what difficulities expense this would be as I assume the canvas would have to be detached from the camper.

I dont want to be caught having to replace the canvas before I sell it myself so I guess I am asking how old is to old if that makes sense ?
Minor problems are expected, brakes bearings suspension etc.
Any other problem areas I ahould check when doing a inspection ?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob R4 - Friday, Sep 29, 2017 at 21:13

Friday, Sep 29, 2017 at 21:13
Kimberley have an excellent website with an enormous amount of info on all their models. (when I last looked about 5 years ago) along with good advice on values.
We had a 2004 KK with boat loader for 7 years, and found the only problem to be a broken ball on the end of a gas strut, and an accidental canvas tear. The ball end was a readily available part in Broome, and the canvas was repaired with an iron-on patch. We were the third owners, and by all accounts it had done about 75k kms, and we added another 25k kms.
If the canvas looks sound, I think you can rely on it to be so, as the quality of the original canvas and screens(in our case midge screens) was excellent.
The only other issue was the need for a new burner on the stove (which had burnt out) and replaced the tyres and batteries.
The rest seems to be bullet proof.
Can't recommend them highly enough, and we sold it on for what we paid for it.
AnswerID: 614061

Follow Up By: Member - kwk56pt - Friday, Sep 29, 2017 at 22:00

Friday, Sep 29, 2017 at 22:00
Thanks for the reply. Its good to know that you were happy with it. I assume the canvas tear was done when folding it up. What size boat/ weight did you have on your boat loader and did you attach a fold up trailer to the loader frame. I assume the outboard would be 15hp, was curious where you stored that.

I think you are probably right about the canvas, my Great Outdoors NZ made tent must be 30 years old just had to replace the screens otherwise its been good. Yes lot of educational reading on the website which makes the trailer more attractive to me as it gives a good overview.

Yours would have had the 2.4m awning, did you have or need some walls for a wind break ? Can I ask what did yoiu replace your Kamper with ?

Cheers Peter
FollowupID: 884623

Follow Up By: Bob R4 - Friday, Sep 29, 2017 at 22:16

Friday, Sep 29, 2017 at 22:16
Previous owner tore the canvas, I think something long and sharp-ended fell against it. Boat was 3.5m tinny, and knock-down trailer fitted under boat with 15hp O/B. Came with complete awning kit. Unfortunately we had to give away our travels due to health reasons,
FollowupID: 884625

Follow Up By: Member - kwk56pt - Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 21:48

Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 21:48
Can I ask how you found the camper boat experience, I mean its a lot to carry, has to be unpacked trailer assembled and the reverse operation to load it back on the trailer, probably need to be at the same location longer than a long weekend or was it less trouble than I am thinking........ perhaps you could tell me how long it took you to get the boat on the trailer etc ready to launch. Your photo and reply above was appreciated....... Peter
FollowupID: 884673

Follow Up By: Bob R4 - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 17:47

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 17:47
Sorry to be so long to get back Peter. Used to take about half hour to assemble boat trailer and put boat on, set up outboard and safety equipment. I never took the boat to use for less than a week at one spot, but the loader handled it easily for each night's stop during transit. If I went away without the boat, I still took the loader as it enabled extra carrying which could be swung aside each stop. It didn't take much longer to load the boat, trailer and outboard all back up again to go home. Outboard fuel can was kept under the boat as well.
Cheers, Bob
FollowupID: 884745

Follow Up By: Member - kwk56pt - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 20:35

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 20:35
Hey thanks for the reply Bob. Ok doesnt sound like the set up time is too bad and it seems the boat loader worked well for you which is a big help to me..... Peter
FollowupID: 884754

Reply By: Tim F3 - Friday, Sep 29, 2017 at 22:04

Friday, Sep 29, 2017 at 22:04
I nearly bought one a couple of years ago...great camper...but the one i looked at had landrover wheels on i wanted to change to toyota rims..the quote from the factory ...around $3000 ...you cant just change rims must change suspension arms as well..

AnswerID: 614065

Follow Up By: Member - kwk56pt - Friday, Sep 29, 2017 at 22:47

Friday, Sep 29, 2017 at 22:47
Thanks Tim, yes matching track and tyres is nice but I will probably live with what tyres are fitted to it especially as the original tyres and rims would have to be sold probably cheaply before the exercise begun. All things Kimberley are not cheap as you would guess so trying to get a boat loader already on one.
FollowupID: 884627

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Sep 30, 2017 at 08:29

Saturday, Sep 30, 2017 at 08:29
We have owned a 2003 for a decade without a boat loader but with complete annex. Apart from a disaster associated with failed shockie 100km from Bamaga we have had no problems. I should have replaced the shocks before we went up the Cape.
You may need to consider new springs as well if its carried a boat but they are relatively cheap, best getting them from the factory. We upgraded the battery charger.
We had ours back to the factory for a overhaul. They replaced pinch rubbers around door seals apart from that they said nothing else needed touching. Canvas is fine, ours gets about 2 weeks use a year.

AnswerID: 614073

Follow Up By: Member - kwk56pt - Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 21:42

Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 21:42
I just thought I would thank everyone who took the trouble to reply. Its good to know of other peoples experience and in this case it seems to be good. Not a lot of people bother to carry boats on camper trailers I notice and I am starting to think there is probably a good reason for that. Its a lot of gear to carry and time to unpack set up portable trailer and boat and repack probably requires one to be at the same location for more than a long weekend.
FollowupID: 884672

Reply By: rumpig - Saturday, Sep 30, 2017 at 16:51

Saturday, Sep 30, 2017 at 16:51
Have owned a KK for approx 7 or 8 years now with no major issues to date other then an early shockie mount failure that was repaired with zero fuss, and chassis warranty extended and complete warranty restarted from the day we got the camper back....wasn't happy with the failure, but repair of trailer and service was first class.
The main issues I know of are tears in the canvas from people that don't check the canvas is tucked away correctly as they fold it up (you are shown where to check when you buy one, don't check the one particular spot on each side and you will likely rip the canvas), bending of the drivers side lid strut if you don't open the rear wheel carrier (if fitted) all the way open before opening the trailer, cracks can form in the top corners of the front boxes from people tieing stuff to tops of the front section
AnswerID: 614080

Sponsored Links