Your trip Photos! How important are they ?

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 30, 2017 at 19:27
ThreadID: 135672 Views:3576 Replies:9 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, A conversation a while back with a few friends over a few drinks. The topic came up about how important all the photos they had taken over their retirement years were to their adult children. One couple jokingly suggested their kids would throw out anything with scenery in them another couple suggested their photos probably would be kept but not treasured and fobbed off between siblings. I mentioned this conversation to my kids, they rolled their eyes, my ex wife is a professional photographer, she has a room full of catalogued negatives, CDs and literally 100s of albums. So with tighter living in the big cities for most of our children and less room to store stuff, are our trip pics only of value to us or will they be treasured by generations to come? A wonderful old uncle of mine has always said a photo without names or place and a date on the back, is totally worthless Michael.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Sep 30, 2017 at 19:54

Saturday, Sep 30, 2017 at 19:54
Hi Michael

Since the introduction of digital photography, I personally have not had any photos printed, but keep them backed up on 3 portable hard drives.

I think you will find that this is a trend that many are taking and many of the old photo shop are now like the Dodo.

Mind you we have many photo albums from the pre digital days and they now sit in a cupboards and we have not looked at them for many, many years.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 614083

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Sep 30, 2017 at 20:08

Saturday, Sep 30, 2017 at 20:08
Stephen yes we did talk about the digital side as well, not a lot space needed there and few pic are printed I guess. That leads to another question, will they ever see the light of day. I have piles of printed pics in zip bags from Several trips to Europe back to the 80s, I dont think I have looked at many of them or bothered to mark on them the places, although we all take pics or landmarks and signs to give us an idea. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 884644

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Sep 30, 2017 at 21:01

Saturday, Sep 30, 2017 at 21:01
Hi Stephen,

If you have not looked at your "pre-digital" pics in "many, many years" you may be horrified when you do get around to looking at them.

Roz and I each had lots of colour slides stored away and then discovered that they were becoming faded and exhibiting colour cast in every case..... some worse than others. I decided to digitally copy the slides but 35mm scanners were pricy and slow at that time so I constructed a copying rig using my Nikon D80 and a 90mm macro lens and re-photographed the lot.

I then used PhotoShop etc. to restore the images of some more-important copies with varying degrees of success. A more tiring process than the copying. At least I had halted the decay and had all the images in storable digital form.

I found it interesting that the degree of decay and the particular hue of the cast related to the spool of film that the slide came from. It suggests that it was a function of the processing of each batch, a lack of quality control. Had the processing been done with more care and fresh chemicals the decay may have been far less.

A similar decay can be seen in very old black & white prints and it may be worth re-photograping them if they are important to you.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 884645

Follow Up By: 76lifted - Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 08:35

Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 08:35
be careful when storing in jpeg and png. i believe these two formats slowly degrade over time aswell
Cheers jet
FollowupID: 884651

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 09:58

Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 09:58
Not sure about the filetype itself degrading over time, but storage on CD and DVD has been shown to be less than permanent.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 884658

Reply By: steved58 - Saturday, Sep 30, 2017 at 19:58

Saturday, Sep 30, 2017 at 19:58
Sorry to say but most people find other peoples photos boring unless they are in them and these days with digital there are so many I suggest storing all the photos on the cloud safe from damage/loss and take up nobodies space the only thing is to leave someone the password to the cloud so they can access them if needed All of your existing pics can be scanned and placed on the cloud if your adult kids travel in the future to some of the places in your photos they will probably look at them then to compare the changes with the passing of time
Cheers Steve
AnswerID: 614084

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Sep 30, 2017 at 20:54

Saturday, Sep 30, 2017 at 20:54
My photos are of great value to me. When on walks, and I have to cross a fast flowing stream, I say to my husband "if I fall, grab my backpack - it has our cameras in it. Don't worry about me - cameras first." After hearing of a friend losing his camera and holiday snaps when his canoe overturned on Lawn Hill Gorge, I have taken a small cheap camera to take on canoes and small boats.

While my family are not really interested in our travel snaps, they are a wonderful memento of our trip for me. I share with others in my blogs and Travelogues, on forums and Facebook pages in reply to questions, and I put a section of my Flickr page.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 614085

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Sep 30, 2017 at 21:54

Saturday, Sep 30, 2017 at 21:54
What might be not of interest in 2 to 10 years might be of immense interest in 50 years.
We have family albums from WW2 and earlier and they hold most people's attention.
Our own go back over 50 years and are pretty important to us.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 614088

Follow Up By: eaglefree - Saturday, Sep 30, 2017 at 23:35

Saturday, Sep 30, 2017 at 23:35
We are totally the opposite, quality not quantity.
On our "lap" last year we took about 10 pics a day and every night we trimmed that down to 2 or 3. About 120 pics for 13 weeks.

We believe the best pictures are in our memories with enough digital pics to prompt our memory of the adventure.
FollowupID: 884649

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 07:58

Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 07:58

That's the way I'm heading too. I am out there to enjoy it, not record it.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 884650

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 08:58

Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 08:58
"A written note outlives the longest memory" That's what they taught me many years ago. My time spent travelling is special to me and even from the days of film where you were so measured with your shots, it's very easy to look back across a span of 40 years and think "Jeez, where in the hell was that and who are those people"!

To me a well kept journal goes hand in hand with a good collection of photos. Each inform the other. The one huge benefit of digital photos these days (apart from being able to shoot a thousand shots at zero cost) is simply the meta data associated with each. The time date and GPS location can really get you out of a pickle if you've got the odd issue of memory like me.

The only downside of digital is that unless you want to utilise the smart tele, it's often hard to just pull the photos out for people like you could with the old album.

I've found a great way to display photos in an interesting way and one that captures peoples attention is to make a coffee table book of the trip/year/event with one of the many on line publishing company's like Blurb, Book Smart or even Officeworks. They are a great way to highlight your favourite moments and Vik and I often find ourselves thumbing through the books remembering or dreaming of next years trip and the places yet to be visited.

My favourite photos from trips past

Cheers

Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 614094

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 09:22

Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 09:22
Hi Mick
A very nice collection indeed.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 884656

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 10:25

Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 10:25
Fantastic collection of photos, thanks for sharing and drawing our attention to them again.
FollowupID: 884659

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 12:52

Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 12:52
Hi Mick,

After each major trek Roz also makes a photo book of 24 selected photos with captioning and descriptive text. A viewer can then browse through at their own speed, commenting or asking questions as they wish. Can be presented anywhere, any time. Works a treat without boring anyone.

We objectively re-assesed our presentation after a friend showed his Italy trip photos huddled over a laptop with no editing or culling. Seemed like a thousand photos of essentially the same scene!!!!!!

And I still have vivid memories of the Good 'Ol Slide Nights. OMG!!! Lights out, click-click, slide after slide, some upside down, with a boring commentary. Then someone would start snoring.
An hour of this was then followed by a 'Fondue Supper'...... cubes of bread on forks dipped into a bath of melted cheese. Great fun retrieving the cube when it fell into the yellow swamp!!!

Many younger ones reading this will wonder just what I am on about. lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 884660

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 18:41

Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 18:41
Mate, you could keep the cheese a bit more user friendly by adding champagne every now and then when the cheesy goo got too thick :-).

Hearing you load and clear lol.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 884668

Follow Up By: Bob R4 - Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 21:11

Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 21:11
With the conspiracy of events and time we were never able to get to those parts of our great land, but were able to vicariously enjoy your trips and adventures. For that we were truly grateful Mick.
With the recent passing of my wife, I have been going through our own travel photos, of trips both here and overseas, and discovering that the memories within are only shared by us, and really no-one else, and I have been actively culling these to save the chore it would become for some-one in the future.
We had our great trips, and also our ambitions, and some photos which hold a personal connection for those who follow will still be there, with no need to troll through a painful number of somebody else's memories.
What you have presented in your blog is delightful to see.
Thanks Mick.
FollowupID: 884671

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 17:52

Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 17:52
I'd like to think my trip, and other photos, are very important to me, though I probably don't give them the care or attention they deserve. Have scanned some old prints and slides that are close to 50 years old, with some success, as well as some black 'n white prints during 1930's, from my late parents bush walking collection.

Image longevity is a worry, because who knows how long a digital copy lasts, but saving on multiple hard drives & mediums might be the best option. Have heard of issues with jpeg images & CD storage but how long before their content's inevitable demise?

As for our family keeping any or all of our photos, they'll be sick of chucking out the rest of my gear to worry about a few USB's & hard drives.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 614100

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 18:27

Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 18:27
Funny thing, I get home & find that I'm not even interested in my own photos, so I can fully understand that others would be even less enthusiastic.
In the "old days", having sat through numerous insufferably boring slide nights of friends holidays, I would never push my photos on anybody.
AnswerID: 614102

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Oct 02, 2017 at 13:15

Monday, Oct 02, 2017 at 13:15
I'll tell you who finds your trip photos important - other potential travellers to the area. On ExplorOz we encourage you to share those trip photos in Places as a lasting record. This is a wonderful opportunity to pay it forward by sharing your photos to help other people get a feel for what is in an area. You can even post a short review to share your impressions on the Places.

To add a photo to Places you can do it 2 ways:
1. after your trip, go to ExplorOz Places (either in the ExplorOz Traveller app or on the ExplorOz website) and open the specific pages of places you went to. There is a button to "Upload Photos & Files" and if you took them on your phone, iPad or tablet you can upload them directly from your photo gallery using the app. If you have used a standard camera then you need to extract the images off your camera onto your computer and then when you click Upload from the website it will prompt you to select the images off your computer.
2. during your trip if you take photos using your phone, tablet, or iPad and you also run the ExplorOz Traveller app, then you can directly upload photos from your device to the Place at the location and if there is no Place in the system for your location you can create one by using the Drop Pin for your current location.

So there are over 80,000 Places in the system - and many don't yet have photos but lots do. Wouldn't it be great if we could photos in all of them? Bet there are even some very obvious ones that don't have photos and many of our ExplorOz faithful would have them in their archives. Unlimited photos can be added to Places - you can caption them with dates which helps see how a place changes over time but also throughout the different seasons.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 614120

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Oct 02, 2017 at 20:25

Monday, Oct 02, 2017 at 20:25
Hi Michelle,
How about another places promotion like you did 8 years ago or so.
Certain place updates give you points.

After a few months whoever has the most points takes the Redarc or whatever.

It wont be me, most of mine are up there already.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 884697

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 03, 2017 at 19:59

Tuesday, Oct 03, 2017 at 19:59
Thanks everyone for the feedback and diverse thoughts on the subject. I myself prefer video and I have taken a fair amount back since 1997 when my first son was born. To me video is alive, just the same as it was when it was taken and can show a lot photos can't. Photos are also important but I suppose I'm a bit like Allan, I'd rather be living it than recording it. Thankfully everyone is different and we get that diversity so we can leave some great recorded history for generations to come. regards, Michael.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

AnswerID: 614144

Sponsored Links