I thought it could be a scam

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 18:31
ThreadID: 135684 Views:4033 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
So we were selling our 150 series Prado a couple of weeks ago and along came a single text message saying “I am interested in buying your Prado, please tell me your minimum price. If I am happy I will send someone to inspect as I am in Melbourne
I tell this guy $30k and he sends around a guy at 8pm that night.
This Kenyan guy says he wants to photograph the car and doesn’t even want to test drive it.
As he leaves he tells me if his boss likes what he sees I will be contacted again.
An hour later the Melbourne guy calls and says “okay, give me your bank account details so I can make the payment”
20 minutes later he texts a deposit proof and I tell him I am waiting till the money appears in my account before letting the car go.
The next day money appears and I call him. He sends the same guy that night and off goes the car.
If anything seemed like a scam I reckon that was looking pretty high up there.
They gave me a link to their website and they have been sending luxury cars to Kenya from Australia for 7 years.
End of story. Wow.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 19:57

Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 19:57
Is the money still in the account? Might pay to move it to another account for a while. Permanently.
AnswerID: 614103

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 20:23

Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 20:23
Hi RMD

That has been mentioned here some time ago by another member selling his car.

The moment that the money came through, he transferred it into another account that could not be accessed the the buyer.

The seller had heard similar stories of the money coming into peoples accounts a day before the item is collected, either caravan, boat, car etc.

Along comes someone to collect the item, and the moment the the item is out of the street, the buyer then takes the money out of the so called sellers account.

Good luck and hope the money is still there.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 884669

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Oct 02, 2017 at 08:23

Monday, Oct 02, 2017 at 08:23
Indeed money transferred into a ban account can be reversed somehow by the sender, don’t know how, maybe they call their bank and say the number used was wrong and can payment be retracted.
You’d think a transfer received would be safe as cash, but have heard of a few such issues by scammers in the past, even happened to a relative.
Sounds like the OP addressed this and withdrew dollars into other accounts.
FollowupID: 884680

Follow Up By: William P - Monday, Oct 02, 2017 at 11:39

Monday, Oct 02, 2017 at 11:39
I am with ME Bank and they say money can only be taken out out of your account with your approval.

I had an EFT transfer into my account that was a mistake and I contacted the bank asking when they would take the money back out. They said that they cannot touch the money when it was in the account without my approval. They contacted me a couple of days later once the owner of the money realised their mistake and I gave approval and back it went.

If I had said no the owner of the money would have to instigate legal action to recover it.

It is different if the bank makes the mistake though - there one minute - gone the next.
FollowupID: 884692

Reply By: Been-Everywhereman - Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 20:41

Sunday, Oct 01, 2017 at 20:41
Yes the money we transferred before they even picked it up. We split it into multiple accounts.
They seemed legit. Business has been registered for 7 years.
AnswerID: 614104

Reply By: CSeaJay - Monday, Oct 02, 2017 at 18:18

Monday, Oct 02, 2017 at 18:18
Guys it is impossible for anyone but an account holder to take monies out of the account. Period. (other than of course nirmal stuff by the bank like bank fees and the like)
AnswerID: 614124

Follow Up By: Batt's - Monday, Oct 02, 2017 at 18:50

Monday, Oct 02, 2017 at 18:50
Are you sure ? It only takes a push of the wrong button as they say.

I had an unusual thing happen yrs ago different to what your talking about a weekly payment for a block of land I bought ended up in my mothers account. I had never transferred money to her account before so someone in the bank permitted this to happen by pushing the wrong butto glad it didn't go to a strangers account.
FollowupID: 884695

Follow Up By: Jarse - Tuesday, Oct 03, 2017 at 10:44

Tuesday, Oct 03, 2017 at 10:44
Hahaha!! I was briefly a millionaire about 10 years ago. Someone deposited $2M into our credit union account. It sat there for a couple of weeks and kept us entertained.
The credit union eventually reversed the transaction. I was disappointed they didn't at least credit me the interest it would have earned :D
FollowupID: 884704

Follow Up By: Member - Balvenie Pastoral - Tuesday, Oct 03, 2017 at 21:28

Tuesday, Oct 03, 2017 at 21:28
I have been in a situation where I paid money into a correctly Named account with Netbank.
I got a bit dyslexic with the numbers and had 2 numbers around the wrong way. 3 days later the transaction was reversed by the Banks, and the money was back in my account.... and a disgruntled payee did have a carry on ...!
Maybe if there is a scam involved this is the way to do it ?
FollowupID: 884712

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Wednesday, Oct 04, 2017 at 10:08

Wednesday, Oct 04, 2017 at 10:08
If (Big IF) monies are 'removed' from your account by your financial institution without your authorisation, then the bank is liable and you can get every cent back, within a day or so (no red tape dramas)
FollowupID: 884720

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Saturday, Oct 07, 2017 at 15:09

Saturday, Oct 07, 2017 at 15:09
With 42 years banking experience behind me at a senior level I confidently suggest that banks cannot simply take funds from your account and return them to the original remitter without your approval.

How would a bank be able to adjudicate over whether a payment was made in error or not, or if it was a bonafide transaction? Banks’ will assist in getting a payment returned, but it will only happen with the payee’s approval.

This isn’t to be confused with the bank reversing an error caused by them, and rest assured, even that has caveats attached to it.

If you think it through logically, there is a very good reason why bank’s can’t and wouldn’t want to do this – confidence would be lost in the payments system and it would collapse overnight if the remitting person simply asked for their money back and the bank gives it to them. It would be a “scammers dream come true…”.

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 614223

Sponsored Links