Chambers pillar

Submitted: Monday, Oct 02, 2017 at 20:23
ThreadID: 135688 Views:4004 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just read a post on westprint maps and thought i would post it here. may already have been done anyway here goes. copied as is.maybe someone knows them.

I would like to single out these two special people who have visited this site recently. These two have put their names on Chambers Pillar this year (as probably have others but these two dated their efforts). While I understand that much of the historical value of Chambers Pillar could be termed as graffiti, the names on the base that these two people have now defaced, take it to a new level. The explorers and early settlers who came here earned their right to carve their names on the Pillar. It was one of the few ways to let people following know the route they had taken. They did not come by 4WD with air conditioning, power steering and sealed windows to keep out the dust and the flies. They did not have a tent, camper trailer or swag with a mattress. They did not have a fridge, freeze dried or packaged food, they did not have communications for someone to pick them up and collect them if they got stuck. They earned the respect of the people who followed them and the respect of travellers from that time since. You, Gavin and E.J. do not have the right to erode an already fragile landscape and you have not earned the respect to list your names on this pillar. I sincerely hope that these photos come to the attention of someone who knows who these people are and that they are made accountable for their actions.

Back Expand Un-Read 8 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, Oct 02, 2017 at 23:31

Monday, Oct 02, 2017 at 23:31
Spot on Bill; that lack of respect is why more and more places are being closed off to travellers.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 614130

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Oct 03, 2017 at 06:56

Tuesday, Oct 03, 2017 at 06:56
"The names of fools are written everywhere" unquote.

Don't know who said it but so true.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 614131

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Oct 03, 2017 at 08:59

Tuesday, Oct 03, 2017 at 08:59
A couple of years back we had the distinct privilege of being given permission to visit the Cleland Hills and in particular Puritija, Marunji Rockhole and Thomas Reservoir. We were accompanied by well know Alice Springs historian and respected elder Dick Kimber. You can imagine the disgust we felt when at Murunji, we were shown recent damage done to ‘historical’ graffiti by some mis-guided individual. Some of the first European visitors to the area had left their initials in the rock over 100 years previously. While at odds with traditional carvings in the area, the CLC recognised the historical significance of the etchings and included them in preservation efforts. Some mindless fool had tried to erase these historical carvings with a screw driver or other implement

Disgruntled or offended TO’s perhaps. No it’s not as you’d imagine. Imagine our disbelief when we were told that the culprit was a white fellow, not a TO and even worse, it was believed to be someone well known to us. Personally I had a hard time swallowing that pill as I know the person to be a keen student of explorer history, I didn’t believe that he would be capable of such a wanton act, but the CLC were pretty adamant.

Far from being ordinary graffiti, some of these scrawls are often a window to the past and a record of the first presence of Europeans into what were then harsh, hostile and unknown areas. Imagine if someone were to deface the offerings of that serial engraver Frank Hahn, the drawings left at Glen Edith by Giles Party and so on. I makes me ill just to think of it.

Tread lightly.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 614133

Reply By: Duncan M4 - Tuesday, Oct 03, 2017 at 09:44

Tuesday, Oct 03, 2017 at 09:44
Mike and Mal Leyland.. Waukaringa Hotel, just north of Yunta.. South Australia.. I'm in two minds :)

AnswerID: 614134

Follow Up By: Member - bill j (VIC) - Tuesday, Oct 03, 2017 at 09:49

Tuesday, Oct 03, 2017 at 09:49
If it was them they should have known BETTER.
FollowupID: 884702

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Oct 03, 2017 at 09:54

Tuesday, Oct 03, 2017 at 09:54
Hmm, yes Duncan. Just where in the sand is the line drawn?

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 884703

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Oct 03, 2017 at 12:06

Tuesday, Oct 03, 2017 at 12:06
I'm sure Elvis, Harold Holt and ET left Grafitti there too. LOL.
FollowupID: 884705

Reply By: Will 76 Series - Wednesday, Oct 04, 2017 at 22:48

Wednesday, Oct 04, 2017 at 22:48
What a shame people need to write/grafitti on Austrailan Historical sites - Why!!
Why does Europe with such a long history compare to our country not have the same problems? Perhaps it the lack of respect and knowledge/appreciation of our short history that we fail to protect for future generations. Do they think that their children will return in 20 yrs and see their stupid scratchings and be proud. I think not. Our younger generation hopefully has more respect?
AnswerID: 614160

Reply By: Michael H9 - Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 19:41

Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 19:41
Personally, I'm against the practice, but we had a discussion, coincidentally at Chambers Pillar, about this very topic just two days ago. Historical significance is all about timing. If it's done yesterday then it's vandalism, if it's done 200 years ago then it's historically and culturally significant. Take the aboriginal middens at Stockton as an example. They are a rubbish dump that is now culturally significant. I'm sure my local tip will be too in 1000 years time. I also wonder how many kids got into trouble by their mothers for putting hand prints on the walls of caves?
People have been putting their mark on things since there have been people. It certainly is upsetting when it defaces somebody else's existing mark, but it seems that if you have the gene that compels you to scratch your name into things then you just have to do it. I don't even need to take a photo on my travels, so missed the gene altogether it seems.
AnswerID: 614209

Sponsored Links