Where to install a VSR

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 03, 2017 at 15:17
ThreadID: 135695 Views:3198 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I'm in the process of installing a Redarc SBI12 VSR in my Landcruiser 100 petrol, and I've just realised that where I was going to install it was right where the passengers side gas strut for the bonnet will lay when the bonnet is closed.

I'm sure that other folks have had the issue and hoped I might get some direction on where they installed the device.

Thanks in advance,
GRandMA
(GReg and MArgaret)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tazbaz - Tuesday, Oct 03, 2017 at 15:34

Tuesday, Oct 03, 2017 at 15:34
You may find that an ignition relay switch that isolates your batteries when you turn off the ignition is all thats needed and considerably cheaper. I have had a Redarc in the past and it was installed next to the start battery
AnswerID: 614139

Follow Up By: Athol W1 - Wednesday, Oct 04, 2017 at 09:26

Wednesday, Oct 04, 2017 at 09:26
Tazbaz
Whilst an Ignition switched relay is cheaper and could work satisfactorily on some vehicles the problem with using such a simple system in the Toyota (and many other) vehicles is that you are effectively starting the vehicle from BOTH batteries.

Whilst this may at first appear to be beneficial the down side is that you may (will) never realise that the main starting battery has lost sufficient capacity to carry out its primary role, that of starting the engine, until the auxiliary battery has been used for its main role of powering the camp equipment and is then in a low state of charge which is also not capable of starting your engine. You have then negated any benefit of having a dual battery system.

The only way to run the cheaper (non VSR) relays with any certainty of being able to detect a starting battery pending failure is to have the relay triggered from some source that is totally independent of the ignition circuit. This MAY be possible from the accessories (but not always), or in the case of the earlier Isuzu products by accessing the Air Conditioner circuit which was only active after the alternator had commenced operation. This does not apply to the current Isuzu range of light vehicles, so they also now require the VSR for satisfactory battery isolation.

Regards
Athol
FollowupID: 884717

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Wednesday, Oct 04, 2017 at 10:22

Wednesday, Oct 04, 2017 at 10:22
Athol is dead right,
I have come across that exact problem . With the ignition switched relay you can have either battery die , and need to test them independently to work out what's going on.
I use vsr's and have a push button switch ( as a lot people would, but some don't bother hooking one up) so can manually hook both batteries up when needed.
Also I find it's not a bad thing that when my auxiliary battery is up to the vsr voltage the start battery also gets charged from my solar.

Woops , that's all off the op's question.( I'm guilty of an annoying trait that seems to happen to often here)
Where can it be mounted? Someone with the same vehicle may be able to help.
Cheers and good luck, hope someone answers the question!
FollowupID: 884721

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 10:15

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 10:15
"Tazbaz
Whilst an Ignition switched relay is cheaper and could work satisfactorily on some vehicles the problem with using such a simple system in the Toyota (and many other) vehicles is that you are effectively starting the vehicle from BOTH batteries."

Not necessarily. The smart cookies power the relay from the .circuit. That circuit gets switched off when the key is in the start position
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 884732

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 15:50

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 15:50
Peter, you said....
"smart cookies power the relay from the .circuit".... You seem to have left some text out.
Did you mean from the keyed 'Accessory' circuit?
FollowupID: 884742

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 17:36

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 17:36
Hi Alan, yes it looks like a bit of the text whilst I was struggling wit a few attempt to send the message. I here with correct the error and add a bit of extra.

Not necessarily. The smart cookies power the relay from the accessories circuit. The accessory circuit gets switched off when the key is in the start position. That means that the deep cycle battery will not be connected to the starting battery whilst the starter motor is working.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 884744

Reply By: Tony F8 - Tuesday, Oct 03, 2017 at 18:42

Tuesday, Oct 03, 2017 at 18:42
I've got an 80 series and my vsr is mounted about 300mm behind the 2nd battery under the bonneton the drivers side, done the cape 18 times and never had a problem
AnswerID: 614141

Reply By: Tim F3 - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 07:35

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 07:35
Mine is located on the passengers side of the firewall in my 100 series.
AnswerID: 614161

Reply By: Tim F3 - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 07:55

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 07:55
Please see photo
AnswerID: 614162

Sponsored Links