Supreme Getaway wiring diagram and mystery switch box

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 13:58
ThreadID: 135701 Views:3968 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Does anybody have a wiring diagram for a 2002 12' Supreme Getaway pop-top?

And does anybody know what this switch box in the van's wardrobe is? Crummy picture but it's a black box with a toggle switch at the top and three lights at the bottom.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dean K3 - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 16:39

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 16:39
Solar regulator ? switch possibly for momentary test of battery status ?

I'm more concerned looking at the circuit breaker top right with no protection against shorting.

ideally all electrical equipment like this should be isolated in its own cabinet/space to prevent accidental damage/shorts

Imagine what might happen if a metal jacket zipper or clothes hanger was to come into contact with circuit breaker
AnswerID: 614167

Follow Up By: Member - Bill D - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 18:32

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 18:32
Thanks Dean

Not solar - the van has none.

I very much agree re the bare terminals. Like you, the wire clothes hanger short was the first thing that came into my mind when I opened the door.

Cheers

Bill
FollowupID: 884746

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 20:12

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 20:12
FYI and should have mentioned it previously

You can get a protective boot for circuit breakers, I spotted them on the 12volt shop web page.

I managed to get them from my usual auto-electrical supply haunt, so I am guessing if you ask them showing a print out of narva online catalogue any good auto supply store should have it or ability to order them.

lack of solar panels etc implies a home made dodgy install, note there is no actual standard for LV wiring installation into RV units opposed to gas and mains.

So standard you get can be either damn good or complete rubbish, I'm slowly going through a less than optimal camper for past 2 weeks, keep me busy out of trouble for time being.
FollowupID: 884751

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 16:58

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 16:58
Bill D
That blackbox look remarkably similar to ones I have and purchased from Jaycar.
It does not look to be std equipment at all and bacre connections as mentioned above is not a good idea either. Some protection against shorting should be provided.

Do you lnow what the wire connector block, along side the black box, does?
Some probing with a multimeter may be required to ID the source and functions of the box, switch and other wiring present.
Probably is to do with battery charging OR supply to some additional function fitted to the van.
Can you find similar/same colour and size wires anywhere else and what they connect to, That may give a clue as to the purpose of those items.
AnswerID: 614169

Follow Up By: Member - Bill D - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 18:38

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 18:38
Thanks RMD

I do need to investigate further - I've only had the van for 24 hours. What was the black box with lights from Jaycar for?

See my reply to Dean above re the bare connectors. All 3 of us picked that immediately.

Bill
FollowupID: 884748

Follow Up By: Member - peter_mcc - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 19:41

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 19:41
The box looks like a standard "Jiffy box" you can get at Jaycar with a switch (from Jaycar!) and some LEDs. It looks home made. Can you ask the previous owner?

I'd take the lid off and see what is inside - take some photos and post them here.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 884749

Follow Up By: RMD - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 19:49

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 19:49
Bill D
The black boxes are called "jiffy boxes". You build into them whatever you like. Some has built something into it.
FollowupID: 884750

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 21:30

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 21:30
Gday Bill,
My guess is that its the old fashioned water tank gauge. Usually a momentary switch at the top and 3 LEDs indicate the level. Our 2003 Tvan has something similar.

And for not much extra you can buy insulated coathangers :-)
Enjoy your van!!!

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 614177

Reply By: Member - Bill D - Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 22:01

Thursday, Oct 05, 2017 at 22:01
Thanks for all your thoughts, folks. When I get a bit of time, I'll get the multimeter out, pull the cover off the box, work out where the wires go and cover up the exposed connectors. I was just hoping that someone might have seen something similar on another van.
You've got me thinking about after-market additions and the only obvious one is a reversing camera so I'll check around there first. The previous owner didn't seem to know much about it.
Phil - I knew I'd never get away with a post on ExplorOz without a reply from you within 24 hours, but I don't think it's a water-tank gauge as I've emptied the tank and the lights at the bottom of the box still flash randomly. Plus why would someone put a gauge at the back of a wardrobe? Mind you, we've both seen sillier things on caravans. Worth further investigation.
My granny used to knit insulation for coathangers.
Bill
AnswerID: 614179

Follow Up By: mike39 - Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 08:51

Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 08:51
We also have a Supreme Getaway, but older than yours and 15' length.

However, there is no visible 12v. wiring/terminal blocks etc. anywhere inside the van similar to what you show.
The battery charger and water pressure pump are beneath the seat and the main 12v. terminal block inside the front boot next to the battery location (since moved to under the bed).
The tank level gauge is on the wall next to the bed.
Most of the longer 12v. cabling is within the RHS A frame then up through the floor. Well out of the way but nearly impossible to sort out an accurate wiring diagram.

Enjoy your Getaway, you will be amazed where it will follow you to!
Mike
FollowupID: 884763

Follow Up By: Member - Bill D - Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 09:03

Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 09:03
Thanks Mike

Yes, they've hidden the wiring very well. A quick look indicates that my wiring is also through the RHS A frame and up through the floor, so thanks for that. All a mystery after that, though I think I'll also move the batteries back under the bed, add an up to date BMS and do any additional wiring from there.
Cheers,
Bill
FollowupID: 884764

Follow Up By: mike39 - Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 15:53

Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 15:53
Bill.
If you would like to contact me; bushyx2atbigponddotcom I may have some more worthwhile info for you (not electrical)
Mike
FollowupID: 884780

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 09:49

Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 09:49
Ya thunk there are actual diagrames for this stuff ... even the factory wiring .... ?????
AnswerID: 614194

Follow Up By: Member - Bill D - Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 15:45

Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 15:45
Just a folorn hope - dreamin', I know
FollowupID: 884778

Reply By: Member - Bill D - Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 20:59

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 20:59
Mystery solved. The previous owner eventually recalled that it's a switch which disconnects the feed from the tow vehicle to the van batteries. That is, it has the same effect as pulling the Anderson plug out. The flashing lights are just to warn you that the car's cranking battery is draining if the switch is left in the on position while stationary.

I know, I know - you'll all be saying: why not just put an isolator in the line and why hide the flashing lights in a wardrobe?

The answer is, it was a job done by some cowboy on an otherwise excellent little van. If you could see how poorly the batteries are fitted, you might understand. There's no fuse between the batteries and the Anderson plug on the drawbar, the extra battery is tied down with a frayed old strap and there is no BMS whatsoever. Both batteries are in the front boot and the van was built with only one so the second, after-market battery has increased the ball weight unacceptably. There is no negative wire as the cowboy used the chassis.

The plan is to relocate them under the bed, just forward of the axle line. They'll get strong cradles, a Redarc BMS and ammeter, and proper fusing and cabling. If they've been buggered by over-charging, they'll be replaced with Full River AGMs. A nice little project.

Thanks to all who replied.

Bill

AnswerID: 614264

Sponsored Links