caravan sound system wiring

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 17, 2017 at 20:46
ThreadID: 135764 Views:2818 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently removed the factory cd/radio from my 2004 Millard, a very cheap tinny thing (the radio, not the van). I'm replacing it with a car audio player.
the original wiring cable from the van powers both the radio, and spliced also to the power tv antenna.
This isn't working with the new radio however. perhaps the new radio draws too much power, as after a few minutes of operation, the lights in the van dim and the radio cuts out for a minute, then comes back on.
Is this a sign of too much power being drawn from one power cable?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Oct 17, 2017 at 22:20

Tuesday, Oct 17, 2017 at 22:20
Paul,

The new player is unlikely to draw much more power than the old radio unless you have really screwed up the wiring.
It seems more likely that your battery is very low and with the player and lights on it is draining to a voltage low enough to cause the player to drop out.
A low voltage may also be the reason for the antenna not working.
Do you have a meter to measure the battery voltage?
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 614404

Follow Up By: Paul E6 - Tuesday, Oct 17, 2017 at 23:10

Tuesday, Oct 17, 2017 at 23:10
Will check it out.
FollowupID: 885002

Reply By: RMD - Tuesday, Oct 17, 2017 at 23:21

Tuesday, Oct 17, 2017 at 23:21
Some radios used a common negative for the sound speakers, ie, bothspeakers ran to the same neg point in the unit.
Others have two wires dedicated to each speaker and therefore separate neg lines back into the output section of the amplifier. There may be such a conflict with your setup.

I discovered older Mitsubishi vehicle units used three wires for two speakers and Fijitsu Ten used the 4 wires for two speakers, 8 in total for 4 speakers.

Although wired and working assuming the negatives go all to the same point may be a problem. A mate wired a Fujitsu Ten player into a Mitsu and it used the three wire idea, not 4. The heat sink on the new player ran extremely hot and it used to cut out with the heat developed and it was drawing far more power than normal.

The cutting out may be the unit trying to save itself. Does it get hot on the heat sink?
AnswerID: 614407

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, Oct 28, 2017 at 12:13

Saturday, Oct 28, 2017 at 12:13
The problem is most current car radios have bridge mode power amps ( in round figures 20watts rms per speaker) and will not tolerate any common wires in the speaker circuit.

Their power demand is also a lot higher than the earlier radios with with single ended 5 watt output stages

make sure you have no common wires in the speaker circuits and that you have sufficient power supply.

Of course ..... most caravan installers will use the bare minimum size wite they can get away with ... this is never good.

cheers

FollowupID: 885275

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Wednesday, Oct 18, 2017 at 12:28

Wednesday, Oct 18, 2017 at 12:28
As I assume you keep your van batteries charged when parked up, again assuming your parked, the diming lights doesn't sound good.

I would be checking the wiring carefully, as RMD wrote above above check that a separate speaker wire have been run to each speaker as grounding a speaker wire or connecting to another channel can destroy most modern radios.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 614423

Reply By: Paul E6 - Wednesday, Oct 18, 2017 at 23:09

Wednesday, Oct 18, 2017 at 23:09
Turns out I neglected charge the battery after moving the van with the electric jockey wheel.
Oh well!
AnswerID: 614439

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Oct 18, 2017 at 23:15

Wednesday, Oct 18, 2017 at 23:15
I'm pleased for you Paul that it was nothing more serious.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 885034

Follow Up By: RMD - Thursday, Oct 19, 2017 at 12:31

Thursday, Oct 19, 2017 at 12:31
A cheap digital voltmeter from Jaycar will show and monitor battery voltage, that way you can easily see if there is a problem.
FollowupID: 885048

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Thursday, Oct 19, 2017 at 18:00

Thursday, Oct 19, 2017 at 18:00
Just be careful how loud you play music higher volume more amps the radio will use - reason why some dub dub (boom box) installations use a 1 farad capacitor to ensure sufficient power/voltage to run the system.

Nic at western 4wd magazine installed a additional stereo into camper unit on his cruiser ute, as a test subject for power rating cranked up volume and sure enough current pull went quite high lower volume less current draw
FollowupID: 885054

Sponsored Links