Tanami to Kunawarritji

Hi all, i’m Inquiring about what permits are required to travel the Gary Junction rd from the Tanami track to Kunawarritji. I found one Transit permit section to travel the road and was wondering if any other permits are required, and with whom do I get them from.

Kind regards Ray.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Oct 17, 2017 at 22:51

Tuesday, Oct 17, 2017 at 22:51
If you are coming from Papunya to Kunawarritji Ray, you need one for each state. Details of permits are usually up to date on this site and it used to make automatic hyperlinks in threads which doesn't seem to have happened in your question.

The Northern Territory one can be done on line from Central Lands Council in Alice Springs in one working day. For the WA section, the Department of Aboriginal Affairs on line, but it is not an instant permit and they say to allow at least three weeks. You also need to be more specific about dates for WA permits, whereas CLC allow a longer window of travel.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 614405

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Tuesday, Oct 17, 2017 at 23:17

Tuesday, Oct 17, 2017 at 23:17
Hi Motherhen,

You have again answered my question as you have done before. I thank you for that. The brother and I have left Mackay in July and travelled the Plenty and onto the Gun Barrel, and did the Cannning to Halls Ck. Travelled to Wyndham before heading home via the Gregory National Park and Burketown to Dunbar and onto Mareeba. I’m just looking to do another trip in a year or so via the Gary Junction Rd, to do the west and on to the Gibb River Rd. Just finding out what permits are needed and who to pay. As well as get the travel dates to them, so as to not get into trouble with the law. I’ll get all the info together and give the correct people a ring and get the right permits, thanks again and hope to meet you on the road some time.

Regards Ray

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 885004

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Oct 18, 2017 at 11:22

Wednesday, Oct 18, 2017 at 11:22
Thanks Ray. Sounds like you have had an amazing trip. As a Western
Australian, we have limited roads to get out of the state, and Gary Junction was the most enjoyable. You can read My Blogs 2009 about it and follow relevant links. The road has been improved in places since our trip, but it was in much better condition due to less use than the Great Central Road. Similarly I have Blogs 2008 on the Gibb River Road trip.

Cheers, MH
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 885013

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Oct 17, 2017 at 22:55

Tuesday, Oct 17, 2017 at 22:55
Ray, did you try the permits or trip planning articles on Exploroz?

Permits for NT

Permits for WA

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 614406

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Tuesday, Oct 17, 2017 at 23:21

Tuesday, Oct 17, 2017 at 23:21
Hi Mick,

No I didn’t check the trip planing articles on Exploreoz, didn’t know about it but I do now, thanks again.

Regards Ray

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 885005

Sponsored Links