Enerdrive DC2DC charger.....real world feedback, please!

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 21, 2017 at 16:24
ThreadID: 135778 Views:9228 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Has anybody had real world experience with an

'Enerdrive EN3DC40+ 40A DC2DC Battery Charger' - 2 Inputs, 1 Output - DC TO DC

I currently have a new (240v) Enerdrive 60 amp charger fitted to my van. (which I'm very happy with)
My van has 3 x 120w & 1 x 160w panels fitted, charging 3 x 120 amp AGM batteries.

I can get to a free camp have high 90% charge in batteries, next morning batteries are low 70% charge drive for six hours, power coming from tow vehicle and solar input battery charge (if sunny).....maybe high 80%......looking for more charge that's why I'm interested in the DC to DC charger.
Keen on the Enerdrive DC2DC charger as it should 'marry' in well with the 60 amp unit.....appreciate that they are two separate units.

Cheers & beers
Tony
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 21, 2017 at 16:37

Saturday, Oct 21, 2017 at 16:37
I fitted a 30 amp model for a friend and another friend has fitted his own 40+ model. Both are very happy.

However the Enerdrives are either/or - that is, they don't combine solar and vehicle input. When the vehicle is running the solar is switched out and you will get 40+ amps if your alternator and cabling will allow it. If the vehicle is off and the sun is shining, the MPPT solar reg function takes over and delivers whatever amps the panels will provide up to around 40.

I don't know how well the unit in either solar or alternator mode will get on with your existing solar regulator. Chargers can confuse each other if used in parallel and you can end up with less input than either by itself could achieve.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 614505

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Saturday, Oct 21, 2017 at 16:58

Saturday, Oct 21, 2017 at 16:58
Hi Frank,
Thanks for the quick response.
I plan on removing the existing Xantrax solar controller....so as to eliminate any confusion.....my understand the 'new' Enerdrive unit will do what the Xantrax unit is doing now.....so why have two units trying to do one job?
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 885110

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Saturday, Oct 21, 2017 at 19:12

Saturday, Oct 21, 2017 at 19:12
If I am reading correct you in effect have two regulators fitted

1 x mppt fitted to enerdrive system

1 x xantrax solar controller

This WILL cause confusion between the two controllers leading to in effect no solar input - you will need to remove the 2nd unit.

This is the same argument I been having with folks decided they needed more solar input so additional Anderson was installed allowing smaller 80w suitcase to be utilized.

But it still has its own regulator fitted whilst the wiring has been connected as a parallel system using Redarc BMS, this system also can't multi source power input either - the newer one can, but still very expensive way to go about it
FollowupID: 885113

Reply By: swampy - Saturday, Oct 21, 2017 at 16:54

Saturday, Oct 21, 2017 at 16:54
hi
Have a serious look at the instructions first
When wired as a parallel system the units 30/40 work the same
As a 12volt system panels wired in parallel
The system is only capable max input to controller 30amps
max output 35amps approx. in parallel
In series same max input and potentially higher output
Series wired panels donot tolerate shade
http://www.enerdrive.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/DC2DC-PLUS-User-Manual-WEB-1.0.pdf
AnswerID: 614506

Sponsored Links