Adjusting windup posts on '80s Jayco Dove

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 11:50
ThreadID: 13580 Views:5409 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone got any knowledge of adjusting the wires which pull up the posts on an older Jayco Dove ('84 Jaydove)? PArticularly, the cable order on the 4way bracket?

Grant
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wet feet - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 13:26

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 13:26
hI gROG,
I have an earlier model dove and the best way to adjust is cut four stakes or 3"x1" to about 3 feet long and position in each corner and lower roof onto them. Let the roof take the weight and then pull all the covers off on cupboards etc to allow entry access to all wires. Vacuum, clean oil and grease all wires and rollers (toothbrush works well). Check structural adequacy of wire roller blocks and mechanism integrity of wire roller blocks and then adjust at boat winch end (just inside from where you wind up), a flat plate has four adjustable bolts with the wires going to each corner). Last time I did mine the winch cable wanted replacing and a 'mobile' Jayco repairer at Hampton Park in Vic did it for me(I had no time).

If the roof requires adjusting it may be as a result of a failure of the rollers either mechanically or structurally. The same guy had all the rollers and eye bolts and wiinch cable.

wet feet
AnswerID: 62236

Reply By: andyg - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 17:14

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 17:14
Hi Grog

Have to agree with Wet feet four sticks one each corner - the lenght ? If you have your roof up with one of the sticks a bit longer than they need be push theroof up till the canvass is tight but not that tight it starts pulling the staples out . mark the stick on the bottom ali extrusion take of about another 10mm this gives you the lenght of the stick. Cut them all to this lenght put one each corner and adjust the bolts on the bracket till the weight is just of the sticks . The cable order make sure no cables rub up agaist each other .

good luck
Andyg
AnswerID: 62437

Follow Up By: Grog - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 10:23

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 10:23
Excellent suggestions that I shall try this weekend - thanks Andy and Wet Feet.

I reckon there must be another reason for one or more posts to be out of whack other than failure of rollers/mechanisms though (which in my case seem to be AOK). The four steel cables must stretch a little (fatigue), particularly if they have been erected (under stress) for substantial periods. The cables being different lengths would mean the fatigue would have more lengthening effect on longer ones, and less lengthening effect on shorter ones. This is just the way my mind explains it - having some, albeit limited, knowledge of metallic properties.

Thanks Again
Grant
FollowupID: 323886

Sponsored Links